Memory Loss

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, did anybody suffer from short-term memory loss while taking Olanzapine/Zyprexa? If so, does the memory loss go away after quitting this med?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Never quit olanzapine suddenly.Taper slowly.Google for olanzapine tapering system.surviving antidepressants is the forum where you will find people who are suffering from brain medication.
  • Posted

Yes,I have suffered memory loss.Now I have tapered slowly to 2.5 m.g.At lower doses my memory came back.
  • Posted

Hi. This drug totally numbs the brain. I spent many hours looking into space with no thoughts whatever, so I am sure it can impair memory along with a host of other cognition.

The good news is that the body is incredibly resilient and self repairing. Just so long as it is nourished, nurtured and not abused. Olanzapine is self administered abuse. Mel Blake

• Posted

Are you off olanzapine? and if so how long and how. I am 20 weeks off tomorrow sleeping is the only part not back to 100% but it's not too bad. Diet and light exercise helped in the first stages when it was really tough. Yes it is self administered abuse. I am so glad to be off it and have lost 8.5kgs which is more than I put on but feel better for it. All the best.

• Posted

so glad to hear you're off bridget.  Please keep us posted on your progress.  It certainly helps!

• Posted

I too am experiencing memory loss and am on 10 mg.

I also have gained weight and can't get rid of it.

I am discussing tapering off with my doctor.

• Posted

I have experienced debilitating memory problems, my memory of the past sometimes just goes blank or vanishes. My thoughts are also effected, they feel less powerful. I told my doctor and they say it isn't my olanzapine (which is 300mg per month) and I am forced to keep on the medication (through injection). I think it is definiantly from olazapine because my memory function just got worse a few month after they had me on the 300mg per month. I don't have any serious mental problems but they keep me under a mental health act. I had a a less severe mental problem in the past but that has gone away now and I am better which I give credit to me changing my personality and the oral olanzapine I was prescribed.

What is the best thing I can present to my doctor about the memory problems I am experiencing and relate that to my 300mg olanzapine per month being the cause?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.