memory loss after TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am now 13 weeks post -op and have recovered well except that I have noticed my memory is much worse after the operation.  I've looked on-line and it does seem that anaesthetic can cause this - just wondered if anyone else feels the same and if there is anything I can do about it.  Just don't feel 'on the ball' any more!!!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Morning,

I am 12 weeks post op and whilst I don't have memory loss, I find I am easily distracted and find concentrating difficult.  It is improving, but for the first six weeks or so, I found it impossible to follow a programme on TV or even be bothered to read.

I believe it is part of this traumatic operation which has proved far more difficult than I ever imagined.

• Posted

Hi there - I know my brain felt particularly 'woolly' when I was on codeine in the first few weeks and as soon as I stopped taking that there was an improvement.  Like others on this site, now I am back at work, I do find I am very tired all the time - so that wont help memory either.

good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi, I'm 8 weeks post op and agree with Lynn that I certainly find it hard to concentrate on anything. This affects memory in the sense that I forget to do things like put the oven on at the right time, send a birthday card etc. I fiind thinking about the knee and all its problems  overwhelms me and other things get pushed aside. Like everything else, just have to hope things improve in time.

Jen 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

Longing for the day 'the knee' doesn't dominate my life.

My physio tells me it can take up to a year.  At the moment, I tire so easily that I have to pace myself (how pathetic) and am so aware of this 'alien being' (my new knee).

• Posted

Hi Lynn, know what you mean about the tiredness. I was so proud of myself - drove to Tesco and did a bit of shopping by myself this morning, changed beds, put washing out and cooked a bit of lunch (but unable to eat it all, still got poor appetite). I am now absolutely exhausted! It's so frustrating to find such basic everyday things so difficult. I suppose I've got to take heart that I couldn't have attempted all those things a few weeks ago 😊. Yes, I too long for the day my knee doesn't dominate my life. We'll get there one day 😊.

Jen x

• Posted

I am 5/12 weeks post op. and am finding it really difficult to concentrate or relax. I find myself fidgeting , not knowing what I want to do.cant be bothered reading or watching telly. Just want the day to end praying that tomorrow I will feel better. .saw my physio this morning and he says everything is good with the knee and that I have made really good progress, he has discharged me after only 2visits which is really good but when am I going to feel my old self again.feel so down. Take care 
  • Posted

I am now day 7 post op and only just out of hospital as I developed cellulitis on day 3 so am very swollen and sore still and on antibiotics. I find at the moment I am very emotional and feel really useless, I'm inly 44 and all the older people left hospital after 2 or 3 days and were walking great and bending great and it very little pain. Everyone keeps saying it will get better but it just doesn't feel that way at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi Joanne,

Just to reassure you that we all felt that way so soon after this most difficult operation.  Please don't compare yourself to those around you.  We all heal in different ways and at a different pace.

I am just 12 weeks post op and for the first few weeks I couldn't imagine ever feeling normal again.  It does take a long time to regain some independence.  I absolutely hated being reliant on others for virtually everything.  Something I wasn't prepared for in the slightest.

This forum is a great help in realising that what you will encounter over the next few months is perfectly normal.  I found that a huge comfort.

So, any problems or questions, just ask away!

• Posted

Hi Joanne, Lynn is right - it's very early days for you yet, especially as you had a bit of a setback at first. I was kept in a few extra days as the wound was bleeding a bit and I had a lot of swelling and redness. Turned out to be bad bruising which went in a few weeks. Make sure you get your pain relief right, try to do the exercises you've been given and get plenty of rest. It does get better but it does take time unfortunately. This forum is great if you want reassurance on anything. Take care.

Jen x

• Posted

Poor you the cellulitis hasn't helped so you have already had a set back. Don't know how much difference age makes I am 82 and live alone but found I could walk without crutches as soon as I got home. I am 6weeks pose op today I think this should a golden turning point, but my leg doesn't know this it aches like hell this morning.the days drag by and I know things will get better, and that's what I'm clinging to. Take care these early days are really hard, but with each day comes another day nearer to full recovery. Love from tucks
    • Posted

Thanks tucks I have dropped down to one crutch immediately on coming home but don't feel comfortable going without completely as yet. Haven't as yet been outside but I think by the weekend I will do just to get out. I just don't think I was prepared for how difficult this would be. Good luck with your recovery x
    • Posted

Hi Joanne, I can assure you that no tkr's have left here in less than four days and I shall be five but have been told that I have done well. We can't leave here until we have 90 bend and a completely straight leg, that is the back of knee pushed right down into the mattress so with your extra problems you have done well. i was very tearful for a couple of days here and expect to be so again. Post op blues is like baby blues it seems .This site has really helped me as I would have been suicidal without it. We're all going through it together so keep strong.

wink

• Posted

Thanks carol I agree with you about this site it has been a great source of information and comfort to know that I not alone and what I'm experiencing is normal and yes I have been very tearful and I think a lot of it is not pain but lack of sleep. I have too keep telling myself that it is still very early days I'm at day 11 now. 
  • Posted

Thanks Jen and Lynn I know people heal differently and I think I just wasn't prepared for the complete uselessness I am feeling. This forum has been really helpful and I thank all of your for your replies and comments good luck to you all in you recoveries x
  • Posted

I had a hip replacement 4 yrs ago at age 72 and definitely chose a pain epidural and whatever twilight drips they give us for these surgeries...no generals if I have a say so......

I sure didn't feel or hear a thing and my recovery was much better than those who do generals.....

Enough people have memory issues even without all the drugs, and I have friends who take brain support supplements to help keep brain healthy.....and many worry about dementia etc....especially if in the genes....I'm now 76 and play bridge often and have a good meory.....

So we can do a lot to keep our memory in good shape.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.