Meniscus repair failed?

Posted , 4 users are following.

One month ago I had my sixth knee surgery to my right knee. Previously, I've had three ACL reconstructions, one bone graph, and in the last five months two meniscectomies: #5 removed torn cartilage from the posterior. A month later it retore in two more spots in the posterior. My most recent surgery (May 26) removed more of my medial from the same spot as the previous year, as well as stitched a small tear further back in the posterior horn.

Here's my issue: Admittadely, I'm not a good patient. I'm a very manic person who manages that anxious energy with fitness. At three weeks I got into a swimming pool and did crawl stroke laps. I also, unfortunately swam a few strokes scissor and breath stroke kicking. I stopped as neither one of those felt good, at all. I came to learn after the fact that neither one of those strokes was smart as the free range can be compromising. My thought was limited impact is safe, but now the range of motion, which I was aware of and didn't feel like I overdid, is starting to make me second guess myself.

Afterward my legs were very fatigued, which was to be expected. However I also - over the next few days - experienced pretty significant swelling, and what felt like a Baker's cyst (behind the leg discomfort).

I'm still experiencing a tightness from the medial portion of my knee that feels like it could be the scutcher healing as it's not coming from the rear like a Baker's cyst but more of the medial/rear.

Here's the thing, though: If I push around the medial joint line I can pinpoint pain. It's not terrible, but what I noticed from previous tears is that pain is more significant after usage and other than that one swim and walking my use of that leg has been very limited. I'm starting to wonder if once I begin therapy whether that joint pain will increase because the repair did indeed fail.

I do not see my doctor for another couple of weeks. Is it common to be experiencing joint line tenderness a month after a meniscectomy / repair?

Would the tightness I'm feeling when flexing my calf, as well as the intermittent "burning" sensation be consistent with a failed repair or a healing scutcher?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had four knee scopes 10-15 years ago.  All MRI's were "inconclusive"; doc went in.  Meniscus tear and ripped off femoral condyle cartilage on both knees (ps: not all at the same time...45 years of hockey will catch up to you).

I had all four scopes on Fridays...rested over the weekends with my CryoCuff...back to work on Mondays with the CryoCuff for a few days.  Zero pain within a week.

" Is it common to be experiencing joint line tenderness a month after a meniscectomy / repair?"  No, it is not, if nothing else is wrong in the knee.

"Would the tightness I'm feeling when flexing my calf, as well as the intermittent "burning" sensation be consistent with a failed repair or a healing scutcher?"  Not a clue.  Ortho would have to answer that.

Note for the future:  After they take everything out that they can, you're left with nothing but bone.  Sooner or later, you'll need a TKR.  To put it off as long as possible, I used SynVisc injections.  Worked great for me for many years.  Then the move from the cold of New Jersey to the warmth of Texas gave me the same results without the injections.  Put off the TKR for a decade.  Think about it...

• Posted

Hi blakevic

I had two left knee menisectomies both of which failed. I know because my most recent MRI still showed the same medial meniscal tear as was allegedly repaired. I had non stop pain and tenderness around the joint and my medial meniscus for 3 years which culminated in my needing a tkr for that and other issues.

It is possible to re tear the meniscus but I never really did anything in those 3 years that I think would have re-torn it.

A MRI will show what is going on.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.