meniscus tear

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went to see a rheumatologist today regarding, y fibromyalgia and polymyalgia. She looked at the xrays and mri scar report which my orthopaedic surgeon had done. The mri report said that there was a lot of debris and damage as well as a left sided meniscus tear. Will the tear be making my knee even more painful? My surgeon has been on study leave and hasn't yet seen the report so I'm waiting for him to look at the report and arrange for another appointment where he will hopefully list me for a tkr. I spoke to the waiting list lady who told me that it's currenly about 6 months wait due to bed issues at Christmas and the doctors strikes. I think it will be at least Christmas before I get my op, goodness knows how I'm going to manage until then as I'm in such horrible pain and it's really affecting my quality of life.

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes it will be making your knee very painful, plus the "debris" is possibly jamming in your knee joint.

I had a torn meniscus, and bits broken off, and the pain was awful.

I had an arthroscopy to remove the bits of torn cartilage which helped for a while.

But since then have had both knees replaced.

I hope you don't have to wait that long.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi l am sure we have spoken before as l to have fibromyalgia and l had the TNR done 17 wks ago, l am sure you won't have to wait too long they list surgery as priority, if my memory serves me right you were concerned about having surgery with the Fibro, well l can assure you that it will be fine it might take a little longer to get over but it will be good in the end. I have gone bk to work 5 wks ago and my new knee was doing great until l had a fall last wks but that was my own fault so now l have extra pain to deal with.Pain can destroy your life l know l used to pull myself upstairs in agony bone on bone,now l can go up my new knee is great, the other not happy at all, l am sure when yr surgeon sees your scan he will push you through sooner as you have added pain conditions to deal with too. Ask to be put on a cancellation list that will bump your position up should somebody cancel, once you have seen the surgeon impress upon him that your life is terrible with the pain and that you cannot bear the thought of waiting months.l know you were told it could be xmas well that depends on the surgeon, you can always ring every couple of wks to say you are in agony is there anyway you can be pushed up list that's when being put on the cancellation list will come into its own because your mess will be passed onto the surgeon who will instruct the booking office.My dear friend had her knee done when she went back she told the surgeon her hip was really hurting her, he had it X-ray confirmed she needed hip replacement she was put on the list and was told 6 moths, after 5 wks she contacted them she was in agony they put on the C list and 10 days later she had her op. Please don't be dispondent you have nothing to loose, put a strong case across when you see your surgeon, good luck keep us posted.x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

GMa Dylan.

Where are you it took my doctor 2 weeks to schedule my surgery I made him wait till after the first of the year. I don't know why it would take so long.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm in Stockport near manchester. The waiting list lady said that really from being listed for surgery it should be done wothin 18 weeks but as they were already behind due to bed problems over christmas and then added delays due to the junior doctors strikes it's now running at about 6 months. I'm in suuch pain this morning I can barely walk, I could cry. I'm going on holiday to Croatia for a week next week and don't know how I'm going to manage. Last year I was on strong doses of steroids and felt marvellous, I could walk up and down stairs and hills, now a few steps across the room is as much as I can manage. Unfortunately the steroids bring their own problems so I've had to taper down and am back to square one. Thanks for all your words of support, it really helps to be able to speak to people in the same boat. Debbie
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, if you are in Stockport can't your gp look elsewhere in a different area?  Not all health trusts have long waiting lists. I was in agony waiting for hip op and my gp got me in the next trust area and I was only waiting for three weeks. Worth a try.   
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Grandma Dylan, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year, just a couple of weeks before I was going on holiday, 2days flying my consultant told me I needed a TKR to my left knee.

On his advice I hired a mobility scooter and I had a fab time, was able to go places where I wouldn't have been able to walk to without being in so much pain.

Had my TKR on 6th Jan then had to have an MUA on 12th April due to my kneecap getting stuck & stopping my bend going any further than 68, I'm now bending at 105 but still have stiffness first thing and pain if I do to much, so guess what I'm going on holiday in 3wks and I've hired another mobility scooter so that I don't miss out on anything.

Hope you have an enjoyable holiday without to much discomfort xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I also faced fibromyalgia in last year and then I was in clinic for 19 days. My MRI report was positive that why they released me soon. Now I'm okay.

Wish you'll comeback soon.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

We're going to Split then onto Dubrovnik which are very hilly with lots of steep steps so unfortunately not suitable for a mobility scooter if they were I wouldn't hesitate to hire one. We're going to thr RHS flower show at Tatton Park and I'm planning on hiring one as there's no way I could walk round and enjoy it. That said if I do see any hire shops in Croatia I will have a look. I googled scòoter hire in Split and got lots of hits but they were the motorbike kind!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up