Menopausal symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been trying to come off my 10mg of Cit and failing. GP thinks it should be no problem due to the low dosage. BUt every time I try, even cutting down to 5 mg I feel awful. I have noticed I'm experiencing hot flushes, cramp at night in bed and have become short tempered. I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and although I kept ovaries I was warned that they could start to fail after a couple  of years. When  on Cit I do not have any menopausal symptoms. These only come on 2-3 days after cutting down to 5 mg. Any advice?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The menopause alongside depression is a nightmare. I have had years of this with what I learnt was called the perimenopause and now menopause.

Personally I would continue with the 10mg (it is not too high  a dose) if it is helping, which it seems to be.

Why is your GP suggesting you do this? Or is this something you decided you wanted to do yourself. Either way, it seems to me it is not quite the right timing. Perhaps a second opinion from a different doctor may help.

Sometimes accepting the help of medication is the better option, in moderation of course.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Agree.  Why not stay on 10mg if it helps.  They're not addictive and you can take these meds for life if you need to.  I took 10mg for years after reducing from 20mg.

I have however recently come off meds and did it by reducing by 5mg each time.  If that reduction affects you, why not cut the 10mg and take 3/4 of it, or as I did when I got down to my last 5mg which was too small to cut, I crushed it into a powder and I took half of it.  You could crush the 10mg and take nearly all except a small portion resulting in reducing the 10mg only slightly.

K x

• Posted

No idea, I had the opposite with the cit causing hot flushes and cramps, came off instantly after 8 weeks of it and was immediately better. I suppose we are all different. I would stick though it for a week or so and see how it goes . Good luck
  • Posted

I was having awful menopause symptoms and my Dr put me on a low dose of Paxil and it worked wonders. I weaned off once after a year and symptoms returned so I went back on for another year and weaned again.

It is 10 years later and I get some symptoms but that is always with some women.

I smartphone on Citalopram now after several scary heart and health problems and it has helped me greatly. I don't care if I have to take it for years since I am 58 now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.