menopause and anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, has anyone got experience and tips on how to alliviate anxiety. I get terrible anxiety attacks during the night that stops me sleeping. Have tried several HRTs but no good. Now trying all sorts of natural remedies. Be careful of black cohash as I found out during a routine blood test that my liver enzimes were high-(similar to alchoholics) and I don't drink. Checked it out and studies suggest that it is linked to liver damage so now stopped and liver is normal again. Any help appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for the info. on Black Cohosh. I have begun to experience the dreaded hot flushes and was just about to try this remedy. However, in the light of your info. I'll discuss Black Cohosh with my G.P., who had recommended it to me, and might consider Red Clover instead.
  • Posted

hello all,

Thank you for the warning about the black cohosh, I had not heard of that before. For the anxiety, what have you tried? I have found a great product called 'Holy Basil'

I also make sure that I take a good b vitamin complex during the day, this helps the nervous system and stress too.

• Posted

Have you tried taking soy tablets, drinking soya milk etc? I found this helped a little, (but I'm now on HRT).
  • Posted

I have been trying to find out about taking black cohosh, my doctor said it would help me when he took me off h.r.t. Just read your experience EMELDA that was posted on jun 10th. thankyou for sharing your experience, now i know not to take BLACK COHOSH.
  • Posted

About 2 years ago when I was 48 I experience terrible anxiety symptoms so bad that I could hardly go out of the house. I went to the doctor and was prescribed a low dosage of cipralex. This has changed my life, I am back to normal. The doctor also told me that they help with hot flushes (I dont have any) and that eventually cipralex would be used instead of HRT to control flushes. I dont have any further menopause symptoms. I think women need to make time for themselves, find a hobby, have a treatment, find something that makes you feel good and do it. A lot of it is about positive attitude and finding some intrinsic rewards.
  • Posted

Hi, I am a broadcast journalist student at the university of leeds and I have been given the topic of HRT and the controversary that surrounds it. If anyone would be able to talk to me about their experiences via email or on the telephone I would be very grateful. Im particularly interested in why some of you decided to take it and why you now want to come off it? None of my research is going to be used in an actual broadcast it is just a research task for my tutor.

Thank you!

• Posted

[b:3050e6dc29]Hi,

why do us women have to go through this??[/b:3050e6dc29]

• Posted

[size=18:7f05f18f14][b:7f05f18f14]Hiya does anyone come on here?????[/b:7f05f18f14][/size:7f05f18f14]
  • Posted

Sorry it's been so long to comment- and thanks for all you're help. I am now well and truly through the worsed. It's been 7-8 months since my last period. The whole process has taken me 3 years I guess so hang on in there if you're in a bad way-it will improve. The best remedies for me are red clover and holy basil- they both appear to have no adverse effects on the liver according to my research anyway. They seem to have calmed me down although I can't be sure that they are the real reason for improvement-perhaps just time. Also, avoid stressful situations if you can. I know: better said than done. But don't invite stress in your life-Just say no. The best advice I can give is to try and rationalise. Your mood is not a reflection of you, but a physical manifestation of hormones over which you have no control. Sit tight, get through each day and try not to ruminate and become self absorbed in the condition and keep as busy as possible. Best wishes to everyone.
  • Posted

I started using Black Cohosh and started having really awful cramps at night, as soon as I stopped taking it the pains stopped. I would have hot flushes and sweats, which are annoying and break up your sleep, than the agony that Black Cohosh gave me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.