menopause at 42!! Advice needed please :)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am 42 and have recently been told I am on the menopause.

My doctor insists I go on HRT but I have been reading up on the side effects and am scared to death!!

My doctor has said because I have stopped having periods, I should take HRT to start them up again due to my age.! I don't know why coz I don't want anymore children.

Please can someone give me some advice on what to do !! or what to take (herbal if possible.)

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Merc

HRT is down to personal choice .... bet its a male Doc is it...

you have to look at your family history, breast cancer etc and decide whats best for you.

get Vit B6 anyway and take that now, ask your Doc if not sure, they can even prescribe it,

B6 also assists absorbtion of HRT as well as a must for all peri and meno ladies not on HRT, i am in ninth year of peri and had to do the natural route, cant do HRT too risky for me, so experienced it all, many posts on here stating what we take down the natural route on other menopause topics..  good luck Jay xxx

• Posted

Hi Jay

Thanks for that! It was actually a lady doc!! She suggested i have the patches as I have Factor V Leiden and the patches will go straight into my blood stream.

My mum died of cancer, but not breast cancer it was lung cancer. I dont smoke, I drink occasionally at weekends and I excercise by walking my dog every night!

I will try the Vit B6, like you said I dont have to decide straight away, and I can cope with the hot flushes, and sleepless nights at the moment any way.

Many thanks for your comments.

Dawn x

• Posted

this may help ... i took the natural route as family history of all cancers 😩 i did try the progesterone natural cream but.... even that made one breast lumpy painful and cysty, so stopped it, with in two months the lumps had gone. all scary stuff..

i have taken natural Estroven Max for years but think its got use to me, and i just ordered another one called Menapol plus from amazon uk ( i actually live in spain) i had awful anxiety, sleepless nights for umpteen years, the B6 i swear by it ... its stopped everything but hot flushes have returned hence changing to natural menapol plus soon, back to B6 must be a good stregth b6 and not a mix of b's its B6 thats the one, and maybe B12 i have that too..

i have posted loads about it to share and hope it helps others....its changed my life no end..

good luck and wish you well 

jay xx

• Posted

Merc

if you have Factor V Leiden maybe best to ask your doc if B6 is okay for you.. if so she could prescribe it for you... my Uk doc of years ago gave me a big pot on prescription in early peri, but never really explained the benefits back them so i never went for anymore at that time, we live and learn..

i have 300mg a day from the farmacia here, took half each day for first month and then the full 300mg after that per day.. made such a difference for me.

jay xx

• Posted

Thx jay - I will check with doc to see if it's ok to take. 

Many thanks I appreciate all your help 😄 

Dawn xx

• Posted

Hi Merc... i just been doing abit of research about B6 and Factor V Leiden 

heres a snippet below.. Vit B6 may benefit you even more, as well as for Peri 😃 ask your doc..

Vitamin B6 (in the form of pyridoxine hydrochloride), which has been shown to reduce platelet stickiness.

jay xx 

• Posted

I am curious about vitamen B6, how much do people usually take?
    • Posted

Hi again this may help theres lots more i posted on the other meno discussions too .. i take 300mg daily 

Supplementation

Supplementing with vitamin B6 is also a good option during menopause and can provide more rapid relief than diet alone. To avoid an imbalance that can result when one vitamin becomes deficient, use a supplement that contains a full complement of all members of the B-complex family.

Doses of 50 to 100 milligrams per day help promote general health and wellness. However, during the stress of menopause, your requirements for B6 may increase to as much as 300 milligrams per day, says Lieberman.

may help some ladies ... helped me alot... 😃 Jay xx 

• Posted

and abit more ....

i copied it over for you to read..

For women who suffer with brain fog, and memory issues in perimenopause, low levels of B6 could be part of the problem. Depression, confusion, and an inability to concentrate are all associated with B6 deficiency. Vertigo, dizziness, and heart palpitations are also common complaints from women going through perimenopause. All of these symptoms have been associated with (among other things) a B12 deficiency. Vitamin B6 can also help with stubborn weight gain in perimenopause. It is key in the breakdown and utilization of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in our diet, and is necessary for a healthy metabolism - both which can help manage weight.

• Posted

so do you take a b complex and then extra B6?
    • Posted

Hi,,,

no B complex has low amount of vit B6 and lots of others ....

its just Vit B6 i take.... i took 150mg each day for a month then the full 300mg daily after ... i halved them to start... 

jay x

• Posted

Thank you for this. I will look into Vitamin B 6 myself. I have found I have recent weight gain, that I am not accustomed to. I learn so much from these forums..
    • Posted

hello again

one of the lovely ladies has said Busy B's .... that has a good B6 content and many other good ones in the tablet combined if that helps..

jay x

• Posted

Hi Merc. If you are able to afford it I would either seek out a chines medicine practitioner or perhaps an ayurvedic doctor. Both of these medical systems have been around for 1000 of years and am sure able to help with treatments or some herbal formuations. Or go and see a qualified herbal practitioner. I am sure they are able to help you with your choices. I want to wish you the very best in your quest and this transition in a woman's life. It certainly is an interesting transition and so much to learn about our female bodies and make ups.. I am very grateful to have found this site. I have found it so very helpful and informative. If it comes down to it -even though our sisters, moms, aunts, friends have gone thru it it is a steep learning curve..
    • Posted

Thank you Maria 

I have only been on this site for one day and had so much support it's fabulous- sometimes u just feel u r on ur own but now I know there are a lot of friendly, knowledgable people and I'm very grateful for all your comments xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.