Menopause depression

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can anyone help please? I feel like an emoitinal wreck, crying all the time-like permanent PMT. Finally plucked up courage to go to the doctor today but she has prescribed anti depressants (Citalopram) I am so scared to start them, have been googling all evening & although some people seem happy to take them I have also seen bad posts. I was hoping for counselling or diet advice. Almost resigned from work in desperation last week as not coping anymore. Does anyone know if this will go away without having to take antidepressants? It seems drastic action when I know it's my hormones. I'm almost 52

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I'm sorry you are finding things difficult at this moment. I have suffered with depression since 2008 and I have been on a numerous of different anti depressants and they've not worked for me for various reasons. There only one that suit me best with a mood stabiliser. If you gp has prescribed you anti depressant, give them a try is all I can say. If after 4 weeks of being on them feels no different then go back. Yes, there maybe side effects but that isn't for everyone. Only some people get the side effect which doesn't mean that you will. Therapy doesn't work on it own. Usually both is successful at the same time. I have weekly therapy sone last April after being hospitalized. I now take regular medication and attend therapy and I feel a lot better. So there is help out there. Don't give up. It's hard I know but you will get there. Ask your gp for Counselling next time you go back. I wish you the best. X
  • Posted

Thank you Carebear28 for replying, I have never used a forum before, sorry to hear antidepressants haven't worked for you but good that something is working for you. I think I will sleep on it tonight & make a decision tomorrow but I like your idea of a 4 week trial, gives me a focus & an "end date" if they don't work. Thanks again
  • Posted

You are welcome. Just because these don't work doesn't mean that other type of anti depressants won't work for you. It takes time to find the right one. It's not a quick fix either so remember that too. Just take one day as a time. That's what I do. Take care now. X
  • Posted

Hi, sorry you are feeling low, I have suffered from very bad depression for about 16 years, I have been taking medication since then and they have been my life saver! They really do work for me but carebear28 is right, it does take time to find the right medication for you and they do take up to 2 months to start working, so try to be patient although I know it's hard when you feel so sad. Another good option is to see a psychotherapist as they can really help with techniques on how to cope with negative feelings. This really helped me too. Don't feel scared about taking medication, they just help balance out the chemicals in your brain, they just make me feel like myself again. If you need to speak to someone urgently then the Samaritans are really helpful too. Just to let you know I took fluoxetine for many years and these were good for me, I now take sertraline and these are good too but everyone is different.

Good foods for low mood are oily fish, nuts, lots of green vegetables, also get a good amount of sleep and try to exercise if you can. Take care and hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Thank you lou36 it would be nice to feel myself again, I do exercise but that only seems to help at the time. I think I may review my diet, usually avoid nuts as assume they are fattening but will try them. Thank you
  • Posted

So sorry to hear you feel so low. Your case reminds me how I went through a crying spell that lasted more or less one or two weeks. I was out of control and it was catching me anytime anywhere. I too was around your age. Never took any medication at all but I had the chance to have instead a talking cure instead.

Never believed in medication I believe instead of letting any emotional state take its natural course untill they resolve themselves. I believe that our body is wiser than anyone else and given time everything will be ok.

• Posted

Thanks genziana, I am not a believer in medication either which is why I am reluctant to start them. This has gone on longer than 2 weeks though which is why I sought help. It helps to hear other people have felt the same way & that there is light at the end of the tunnel, thank you
  • Posted

Hi tearful1

I to have suffered from depression for many years and have taken various antidepressants I always start out trying to combat this alone but after a few weeks I feel so bad that I will take whatever is prescribed it usually takes around 4-6 weeks before the sadness and crying stops and even then it's a slow process but eventually I start to feel better and am able to cope with life again. I have tried to accept that medication is the only thing that works for me when I am at my lowest as I can't do it myself when your at your lowest it's as much as you can do to get out of bed every day let alone hold down a job and look after a family, generally I would not take medication for anything as my views are similar to yours but I have tried so hard to do this alone I have come to understand that I do need help with this, I think you will know yourself how long you can continue to feel this way, if you do try medication remember to give it time to to start to work, I always expect to feel better instantly as with any medication if you have a headache and take aspirin your headache goes but it works very slowly until you wake up one day and find you can get up and get dressed without sadness.

I wish you well you are not alone be kind to yourself

Take care sue

• Posted

Thank you sue34151 that helps, it's really nice to hear from people in a similar situation, I felt like I couldn't tell anyone how I was feeling but you & the others that have replied have made me feel less alone in this. Thank you
  • Posted

I was the same about your age. I cried non-stop for 3 weeks. At that time my male GP put me on Prozac - Sertraline - and it blew me up like a balloon.

Various trials of other Anti-depressants over the years - I take them in the winter months most years - have taught me that Citalopram probably suits me best. It does make me very tired and makes me hold on to weight.

As others have said, they can take about 8 weeks to work properly so I think you should stick with them.

• Posted

Thanks AlyT I still haven't taken them, looking for a more natural solution, if they make me hold on to weight I will be more miserable as I have recently lost 15lbs so don't want to put it back on! Thanks for your reply
  • Posted

Hello tearful, what a nightmare for you. You say you are menopausal, did the doctor suggest hormone replacement therapy? I had HRT about 10 years ago for a couple of years and it made a lot of difference. I have not had severe depression since coming off it. If the doctor thinks you are suitable it may be worth a try. Try speaking to a different doctor. Good luck
  • Posted

Thanks Susanmcl my doctor said she didn't want to risk HRT as my other symptoms aren't too troublesome, she didn't say why it was a risk & said no risk with antidepressants, I'm still hanging on in there & not taken them yet! Thank you for your reply
  • Posted

Hi tearful,

Sorry to hear you are still suffering but well done for hanging in there pat on the back for that.Some people get on fine with meds. I don't give them long enough about 3 days get every side effect so give up.wish we could find something natural but been up that root and not come up with anything.Still at least we know we are not alone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.