Menopause,Depression destroying me

Posted , 8 users are following.

Help please I am 49 and for the past six months every period I sink into deep depression for at least 5 days I experience diahorea,stomach pain,aches and migraine loss of appetite,I am on three antidepressants a night  it does nothing,I can't work and I'm so miserable. am I ever going to get better.Any any help would be so ni.I feel so lonely.xx

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Penelope

I do get some of the symptoms you describing but for me it happens the week after my period. I know is horrible and so scary. I wish I could tell you will get better soon..I'm hoing through this the past 6 years , I'm 51 and still doesn't seems to get any better..

I feel so tired..

I do enjoy my daily walk for an hour and try to eat healthy no sugars no coffee no alcohol but I still get anxious and depressed at times!

What makes me feel better I get to this site and dont feel lonely anymore..I found the support and understanding here that I wasn't getting from no one else.

Feel better, we are here for you.

Xxxx

• Posted

Hi Maria I am so please for you're support I really need it.Yes I'm fine until the end of my period then bang I'm down and out for about five days till I can claw my way back to normal then it happens all over again.I do walk every day except when I am married to the the couch or bed for 5 days!

xx

• Posted

I know what you mean smile I have days that I want to be left alone just lay there waiting for this thing to passsmile today was a pretty good day, I actually wore makeup!!! Last night my left leg felt so heavy and was hurting as if I pulled a muscle this morning was gone!!!

Another thing that helps me is books!! I read constantly sometimes at 3 am when I can't sleep!!! It keeps me from thinking and analyzing every ache and symptom..

Have a wonderful eveningsmile

Xxx

• Posted

This is so true. I've been prescribed HRT but after 3 weeks I'm coming off it.

I have constant bloating and soreness in my stomach. Yes, it stopped the flushes but I hate the feeling off lethargy. I try to eat as clean as possible and rarely drink. I'm going to tackle this menopause thing naturally!! Fingers crossed.

I love reading other people's comments on here as it makes you feel part of a group, going through the same stuff. Keep at it ladies!

• Posted

My worse time is during my period and really bad the week after. I usually only get about 5 or 6 decent days a month. I'd much rather have only my period time to feel awful. Not that it makes you feel better, but small blessings I guess.

Have you tried natural progesterone at night? I think you would have better success with that than antidepressants since they don't see to be working. My friend has weened off her Lexipro and is having great success taking oral progesterone instead. Sometimes she takes 4 a night. I think that's probably too much but she's just happy to be off antidepressants and Ambien. I'm taking 200mg a night of prog and am only having trouble sleeping now because of frozen shoulder pain, otherwise I'd be sleeping like a baby. It really works.

• Posted

Hi Penelope..did you suffer depression before meno at all? I ask because I've always suffered mood swings but through peri menopause was the worst mood swings iv ever experienced. Sounds like yours is a hormonal imbalance like mine and until you address the hormone issue it may not go away. I would cry all day sometimes waking up in the morning crying which was really strange. I lost interest in everything I love to do. I couldn't handle being around people at all and at work I would cry between customers. I also suffered extreme agitation and anger and I would go through stages of feeling like I was confused all the time, I had incredible brain fog that could last all day. I got to the stage where I couldn't function anymore and it was affecting my relationship, my job and everything I did. I also had the other meno symptoms like hot flashes, nausea, exhaustion etc which I could handle but the moods were too much.

Started BHRT about 12 weeks ago and the hot flashes etc have gone. My moods are heaps better. I'm getting through each day now and starting to feel a little motivation returning. It isn't an instant fix with BHRT for me. I still have some ups and downs but I can handle them better now. The amount of each hormone he gives me will be adjusted a few times until its close to perfect but its definitely worth it.

Hope this helps a little and don't be too hard on yourself. Unfortunately for some of us these symptoms go hand in hand with our crazy hormone changes. There is help out there so keep looking.

Good luck..

• Posted

Thank you so much my dear you girls are wonderfull.I just can not believe how many of us feel this bad?
  • Posted

Hi Penelope. Have you talked to your doctor for menopause options? There are over the counter things too but you are taking antidepressants so you have to make sure anything OTC are okay with those meds. But as I said, doctor can give you menopause meds too to help with what you are feeling, just ask them! I've had all you've mentioned too and it's going on 9 years but hey, everyone is different, just because someone else has these issues this long sure doesn't mean you will, you just might be one of the lucky gals! Good luck and ask your doctor, they should be able to help smooth out your feelings during this time.

• Posted

Hi Cindy thanks so much for your support.I live in New Zealand My doctor just offered HRT and I don't want to take that.Most doctors here just tell you it's life and get on with it.I WOULD if I cauld so frustrating.Husband is being so good but I know it's hard for him seeing me fall apart every month.xx

• Posted

Thank you all so much I had anxiety and panic attacks since the birth of my last child.23 years ago.All the symptoms I mentioned happen at the end of my period.

The doctor offers HRT and to just get on with it.How can we women expect to live like this?xx

• Posted

Yes I'm the same . Hormones if you find wat help please let us know. See gp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.