Menopause Jargon Buster ... what did that mean ... explained ...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Jargon buster

Atrophic vaginitis – inflammation of vagina/ vulva leading to discharge

Cervix – the neck of the uterus, at the top of the vagina

Climacteric – transition from the reproductive to the non-reproductive state

Dysuria – difficulty passing urine

Dyspareunia – painful sex

Frequency – needing to pass urine often

HRT – hormone replacement therapy

Incontinence – involuntary leakage of urine

Local HRT – hormone replacement therapy applied in the vagina

Menopause – the last menstrual period

Nocturia – needing to pass urine at night leading to wakening

Perimenopause – the phase before the menopause takes place and can last from 5 to 15 years

Postmenopause – the time in a woman's life after the menopause

Premature ovarian insufficiency/ premature menopause – is when a woman goes through the menopause before the age of 40. The average age for the menopause is 51

Prolapse – the descent of the uterus into the vagina cavity

STI – sexually transmitted infection

Stress incontinence – leaking of urine when coughing, sneezing or laughing

Systemic – circulating throughout the whole body

Thrush (candida albicans) – a fungal overgrowth especially in the vagina

Urethra – tube from bladder to outside through which urine is passed

Urgency – needing to pass urine urgently!

Urge incontinence – Involuntary leakage accompanied by, or immediately preceded by a strong desire to void

Urodynamics – the study of pressure and flow relationships in the investigation of functional disorders of the lower urinary tract (LUT)

Uterus – womb

UTI – urinary tract infection

Vagina – genital canal leading to the uterus

Vaginal atrophy – drying and thinning of the vaginal and vulval skin

Vaginal flora – the micro-organisms in the vagina

Vulva – the external female genitals (lips)

4 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Jargon continued ..

Thrush (candida albicans) – a fungal overgrowth especially in the vagina

remember that there is also

bacterial Vaginosis ... BV

feels like thrush and treated as thrush but not cured .. 

as it needs antibiotics... as i found out 😥

also

Cytolytic Vaginosis CV .. again needs antibiotics 

A baking soda sitz bath, with only the genitals and buttocks resting in lukewarm water and baking soda, may relieve the external itching of a yeast infection.

A sitz bath will only relieve symptoms, however, and will not resolve the problem. 

• Posted

Whoops missed your previous comment sorry.

Now I get it!

• Posted

Hello Ladies,

Just wanted to know if any of you was experiencing abdominal challenges. Sometimes my tummy is very fine as if nothing is happening and at times, it turns upside down as if my intestines are turning with bloating. At times it comes right from my upper abdomen right to my lower abdomen. I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago. I am 49 and these symptoms started last year. I have had every test possible and am told in meno. Some days are so good but others am like a veggie. Have had almost every symptom of meno and was wondering it should have gone by now. Joint.musle pains, breast tenderness, funny things. Some days London do not even feel like doing anything. I started taking b6 and b12 plus calcium a day vit do. Any help

• Posted

Hi Celcilia 

you say you had a hysterectomy 7 years ago..

but symptoms only started last year..

well you were very lucky ...  Or Maybe you took HRT after Hyster ? 

Which relieved symptoms .. Or just lucky ... Did you have partial ot total hyster ..

The symptoms you describe are all ones i can relate too.. As peri and menopause 😢 even post menopause some things still bother you ..

they do me 

jay xx 

• Posted

Thank you Jayneejay. Yes I had hysterectomy but still have my ovaries.No I did not take any hrt after the surgery. I have been just there until last year when things took to this turn. I am feeling on and off. It's not been easy at all but my husband has been supportive. Un fortunately he works in Norway and I get to see him thrice a month but would be joining him soon. I can't wait for this to pass and my dear you have been in for 10 years, you are a brave woman. Thanks for your advice
    • Posted

Hi Celcilia 

that explains it then if you still have ovaries ..

my partner works over seas too 😧

so i understand ..

i am in southern spain.. I see my partner a weekend a month ..

horrid isnt it ..

dont feel alone and i can help please ask 

jay xx

• Posted

celilia 

in my peri and meno my tummy became very up and down..

like irritable bowel type ..

its declining hormones ..

some mornings constipation, some inhave to run to the loo 😥

anxiety makes it worse aswell..

a good pro biotic in the morning with water helps ..

but dont drink a warm or hot drink after for a while as it kills the bacteria in the pro biotic 

my peri symptoms lasted and varies for 9-10 years but the supplemets helped ..

jay jay xx

• Posted

Thanks for your words of encouragement jayneejay. Today, I feel low with aches especially this one underneath my right breastfeeding which goes and comes. When I complain am told it's gas and it will pass, which ambelieving because some days, I do not feel anything and am so normal. Isn't it weird and confusing. When I complain sometimes, my brothers and nieces tell me it's my mind. Just looking upto to God and hanging in there. Thanks once again and have a blessed day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.