Met with GI doc today....

Posted , 4 users are following.

I met with my GI doc today and not 100% diagnosed yet with IBS but he is leaning in that direction.

He is putting me on Hyoscyamine .375 mg.  Has anyone else tried this and what were your results.  Did it work? what side effects if any did you experience.biggrincheesygrin

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Has he done tests to rule out other causes, normally IBS is diagnosed when other causes have been excluded. I take buscopan occasionally  which I believe is similar which is good for pain but can cause constipation if you take too much. I also take meberverine daily
    • Posted

Hello Lotsofpain, smile

I did have a colonoscopy 3 yrs ago (CLEAR), an abdominal ultrasound 2 yrs ago, CLEAR....so he said, let's start in stages and not put you through anymore unnecessary testing unless we absolutely have to.  My pain is very intermittent and it's all over.  It's never localized.  My stomach makes noises, lots of gas and when I massage my belly pushing the gas through I burp.  I pass gas but not excessively.  What I have also learned with IBS is it is literally different for everyone.  They are the same symptoms but how they hit and affect each individual is different.  I will update my med experience once I start taking it.  Take Care.

• Posted

Your doctor is probably trying you on Buscopan (Hyoscyamine) to see how you respond to it.  This will help him decide whether or not you have IBS.  If it helps you, he may diagnose IBS. This is another method doctors use to help them make a diagnosis.  I tried Buscopan and it worked within 15 minutes with no side effects.  It is the only thing along with Nurofen that worked for my IBS.  

However, if Buscopan doesn't work, it doesn't mean you don't have IBS. Simply keep trying different antispasmodics to find the one that suits you.  There are lots on the market.  Everyone responds differently to medication.  I was tried on Mebeverine at first when one of my doctors was trying in vain to diagnose me.  It gave me horrible side effects and did not improve my IBS.  I also tried peppermint tea and it gave me heartburn. 

• Posted

Hello Pippa,

Thank you for the info re: Buscopan.  I pick it up today at 3pm and I will keep everyone updated on the results.  I was just telling Joanne, I have been symptom free for almost 2 days.  I want to have a cup of coffee but I am so afraid it will start up again.  What's really confusing is the FODMAPS say coffee is fine, even espresso but everyone who has IBS says caffeine is a trigger. eek  Thank you again for your post.  Talk soon.

• Posted

Hi. Do you find it is worse if you are anxious or stressed. My IBS is all anxiety related. I take mebeverine. I only have had 3 or 4 in a few weeks but they seemed to help. It's a process of elimination I think. Out stomachs are so sensitive and full of nerves. We all have different symptoms and different triggers. Make sure you right it all down and maybe do a food diary to see if anything makes it worse. Right down all your feelings when you get the pain or symptoms to see if something triggers it off. I really suffer with Anxiety and panic and that brings on mins....which then makes me anxious that my stomach will be bad and then I panic which just turns into a vicious circle. I would just try what your dry as given you and see how it goes. I hope you feel better soon. Take care

• Posted

Hi Joanne,

Yes, definitely stress brings it on.  The other morning about 6am, my husbands phone alarm went off and it was loud and it startled me so bad that within seconds my stomach started aching.  It went away pretty quickly but something that insignificant triggered it.  I pick up my RX today at 3pm.  I will keep everyone posted.  The great thing....I have been symptom free for almost 2 days.  A few twinges here and there but VERY mild.  

Woo Hoo!!!

• Posted

That's great. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you and stay in touch

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.