Metal work removal symptons

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just been for my 12week check up at the hospital and they mentioned that as I'm still in so much pain possibly it's the metal work in my ankle and have to return again in 3 months for a check up.

Possibly they will have to remove it.

Progressing wellnotherwise walking unaided and driving.

Any 're assurance that this is normal really appreciated

Many thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Britta,

is this a pain pain that never went away from the time of your surgery? I'm only one month in from a double ankle fusion but I shouldn't be in the amount of pain I'm still in around my ankle. It feels like there's something else going on in there. Every time I move my foot, I feel it all around my incision. Some days the pain is as bad as the first week after surgery. Are you at 12 weeks & walking unaided? If so, that's wonderful except for the pain you're still having. I go for X-rays tomorrow so hopefully something will show up in them of what's going on. 

Barb

• Posted

Hi barb

Yes been in constant pain since surgery

At the end of the day It's worse but all ways have pain and have been taking various painkillers since day one.

Physio is going great though and they are really happy with my progress

Good luck to you for tomorrow

• Posted

oh no, I hope this isnt the answer, Dont know how i would cope if i get tld that they have to remove mine. On my ast appt with the consultant, he told me that there was nothing else he could see that nneded attention as he was pleased with how things were going. Said if my physio thought there was a problem then she would refer me back to him. Physio has said she is happy with everthing so far. But like you Im still in pain and have been since day 1, now 18weeks down the line. I have appt with physio on wednesday so will ask if she thinks i need to get refered back to consultant!!  fingers Xsd. I hope its good news for ou in 3 weeks time.  sx

• Posted

I still take some but no where ner as many as I used to take. Some days need more than others as im walking without aids around the house most days now.  sx
    • Posted

Hi Sandra

Glad I am not the only one still on painkillers.

Was worried as I have been taking meds of various kind and strengths for the last 12 weeks

Is your back still giving you problems too ? X

• Posted

Hi Britta, yes stil having back pain, but this has been ongoing for the past 9years. I have to say though, because my ankle pain is worse, the back pain has been put on the back boiler...lol Ive been taking the same meds since I came home from hospital. I asked if I could stop the onse they had given me, and to carry on with the ones Ive been taking for my back pain. Consultant ok'd it. So Ive been taking ZAPAIN. These are the only ones who dont make me feel  'out of it'. Hate feeling spaced out. They do make me sleepy which has been a pain on times as all I was doing was sleeping when i was taking them 2 x 4 times a day, now only take once Ive got up and just before bed to help with sleeping, as the burning in my toes seem to be worse once in bed and resting. One day we shall be med free!!!  sx

• Posted

Hi

What are zapain tablets?

Has your back got worse since you broke your ankle?

I to have had back problems on and off for years but nothing like this

• Posted

Hi britta. ZAPAIN is paracetamol and codeine. They are the only tabs that don't make me feel spaced out. But make me very sleepy, so try to cut them dwn with just 1 in the morning and 2 at night. Too help me sleep. My back hasn't got worse, but I am feeling it a bit more these past few days as the foot pain has Eased so brain has now switched to the back pain too. Funny how one pain can overtake others, but suppose the worst pain will come our first. Hope your eases. I use a tens machine for my back which I swear by. Give them a look up on Google. Sx

• Posted

Hi Sandra

Might take a look at 10ns machine.

I'm not sure which pain is worse lol

Are you still having to elevate your foot too?

I was given high strength co codomol but didn't agree with me

X

• Posted

Yes still elevating and icing as it still swells but no where near as much. Ice ingredients helps with my pain too. . I can't take Co codomol on its own, ad it spaces me out. But for some reason I can take the ZAPAIN which has codeine in them? Strange. Deffo see about the tens machine I've used one for years. Gone through 3 of them!! Lol. Sx

• Posted

I still had pain at 12 weeks. 

The X-rays will show if the metal needs to come out.  I'm 10 months out & at my checkup on Friday Doc suggested taking the plate & screws out!! X-ray showed everything is fine. I'm going to keep it in as long as I can. I have two friends with the same surgery & kept hardware in 4 years for one, 15 for the other! 

• Posted

I wonder how you can tell if it's hardware if a nerve is pressing on something? It's like something is jamming up against my ankle & everything I move or turn over in bed, it's excruciating. 

• Posted

Hi Britta,

I had my ankle fused in January in March I was still in a lot of pain and was unable to do all the things the surgeon said I would be able to do. I had my screws out in late April and guess what no pain, I am walking ok have some strange feelings in my calf and foot however, almost relatively pain free. I go back and see the surgeon in a couple of weeks. Having the screws removed was the best thing for me.

• Posted

Hi Marian,

i cant ant believe they removed your screws after only three months. I'm to be non weigh bearing for three months. They wouldn't even consider that for me until at least six months or longer. I was told it takes three months for the bones to heal. Good for you. That's what I hope for, a pain free ankle when this is all said & done. 

• Posted

Hi Barb,

As it was he waited too long to remove the screws and instead of it being a 10 minute operations it took him and hour as the bone had grown over the screw heads. I must admit I was in a lot of pain after the op and my leg was black, blue and every other colour of the rainbow. It was certainly worth it in the end. 

• Posted

Hi

I was told before my op.that this may happen but would have to wait for at least 1 year to 18 months before they would remove the metal work to allow all to heal

Glad your ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.