metallic taste from one tooth after filling

Posted , 2 users are following.

when i was maybe 12 (22 now), i went to a dentist who gave me a filling. the procedure was very painful and i couldn't fully close my teeth for sometime thereafter because the filling was too thick and she wouldn't fix it, claiming it was fine. ever since, i have intermittently gotten a very strong metallic taste that radiates from the tooth. however, it isn't a metal filling, but rather composite resin. the taste often flares up when i have allergies or pressure headaches and subsides in a few days, but the taste can be unbearable in the meantime, to the point i have slept with a washcloth in my mouth just so i don't feel it against my tongue.

i have been to multiple other dentists who have, through thorough examinations and x-rays, all said the tooth looks fine and can't find anything wrong. i don't have gum disease and i take good care of my teeth. does anyone know what could be causing this? maybe the dentist who gave the filling hit a nerve? i know struck nerves can cause permanent damage that radiates everywhere (have one in my back from an injury, it causes pain all the way down to my foot). i'm afraid to pull the tooth because if it is a nerve issue, it might even make the taste even worse. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.