Mild Divertiluli?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I was Diagnosed with Mild Diverticula after a Barium CT Scan..18 months ago.,This was done following a bad Diverticulitis Flare up,. that landed me in Hospital(3 days) on IV Antibiotics,. Since then I have had 2 milder attacks,. last one 3 Weeks ago., I promptly started the Antibiotics at the first sign of the Flare,.this was successful in getting it under control.,What confuses me is if my DD is only mild..then Why so many Flare ups.?, anybody got any answers on this.,??

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What a nonsense.  Either you have Divertular Disease or you don't - and judging by what you say, you have DD.   Who told you it was mild?  If you read throgh this forum you will see that many of us sufferes (and I have been one for 30 years) are extremely sceptical of what doctors tells us about DD.  Often met with dismissal. It does sound as if yours is 'full blown' and you are going to have to live with it.  Take a few notes from us 'sufferers'.  I believe diet is the key. Good luck.  Jon
    • Posted

I was told that the CT Scan showed mild diverticoli(sp) ., from what I understood at the time, The Doc was saying that only a few pockets in my Colon., I asked him at the time if I could have further flare ups

his answer was not likely as I would have to have much more of these

pockets.. Why do they grade this then? why not just say DD & be done..?

I am awaiting a Colonoscopy my GP wants me to have this,He is concerned that my Flare ups seem more frequent.. Jon I am on a

high fibre diet.,& take Fybogel also,. thanks for your answer.. Doglover..

• Posted

Oh dear doggy lover (Me Too) you are mild. I am severe, and Jon is constant

Your food consumption is probably causing your flares.  Sorry to tell you ,that you 

are stuck with DD as ,so we are all told ,there is no cure, You will just have to learn to dislike food 

Jacquelinesad

• Posted

I can't understand this 'mild' diagnosis.  If you have two or three diverticuli or multiple pouches, they can stilll become inflamed and cause just as much trouble. You talk about 'so many flare up's' and this suggests to me that this nasty, pernicious desease, really has you in its grips.  As Jac says, I am 'constant'  It is with me (and has been) for all those years.  I have the occasional  flare up - but could count them on  (almost) one hand.  I have learned, with the aid of  a nutritionist/dietician (and lately some input from Jac and Holland and Barratt) what an what not to eat. Use Fybogel of course but don't be too reliant - you bowel will lose its natural function. I only eat balnd fruits (pears, bananas) becuase I know that acid fruits and onions are a no go area.  I shall repeat myself (other forum members will know) and just say that an American Professor wrote a paper many years ago warning sufferes to stay clear of acid. I will Google to see if I can resurrect it.  My worst effects are wind (although Jac and me who have known and compared for ages) call it something different,and soreness.  Do keep trying diffeent foods and, if we (Jac and me) can be of any help - do shout!  Jon, with best wishes.

Write soon Jac.  I'm now on track

• Posted

Why did you ask for help ,then disappear ?? What is the point ??
    • Posted

Glad you are somewhere !

You may have noticed ,but seemingly not, that sufferers come onto the 

forums  (various ) ask for help, and when help and advice are offered,

but it obviously isn't what they want to hear, they disappear  ,and no doubt carry on as before and keep getting flares. 

I asked questions non stop  (if you can remember that far back )

and tried everything that was thrown at me, as a result ,I am now in

control of this poxy disease. 

There are no nice answers to the questions people ask, it's follow the

advice or suffer 

• Posted

I know, my dear but do give doglover a chance to digest what she has already been told.  It was only yesterday and she (a) may not be around yet, (b) having a bad time or any other distraction.  I'm sure that she will return but I know exactly what you mean when being told something that they don't want to hear adnd then phtt..

What about some of those very silly people - they soon disappeared when they got short shrift.

• Posted

Hi Jac. I just want to say. That I am taking any advice from you & others on here very seriously.. As I know how disabling this condition can be for us sufferers..

All support is gratefully accepted & I am sorry if my response is slow. I am dealing with sight loss problems from a retina Occlusion & sometimes find computer work difficult..

I would like to ask you while I am on here. When having flares do you suffer from altered BMs?. I get small amounts of pencil thin BMs, with very bad cramps in my Flares..    Doglover..

• Posted

makes me think that the majority of them want to be cured by EMail

and when they realise it takes effort from themselves to help keep reasonably safe, they don't want to know. Their loss.

The thing is , you and I  do actually keep finding things to try that do

make a difference, thank god 

You more than anyone needs help, as you have been soldiering on

alone for far too long.

Iv'e done two posts in one   

Those probiotics are really hanging in there, don't know what they are 

doing, but they are good at it cool

• Posted

Thank goodness you are staying with us 

When you are having a flare ,just keep to liquids  mashed potatoes

rice  puddings, but ,if you feel like I do with the damned flares ,eating

is not on my "to do" list Drink loads, and don't go bombing around .

stay quiet and,  I usually take a couple  of Paracetamol..

No  hard foods AT ALL

jac

• Posted

Thank you for the Bland Diet info., 

At the moment my DD is behaving itself after my most recent flare about 3/4 weeks ago. I have just started to introduce more Bran into my Diet, as this keeps me regular .constipation is a big no no for me. Had a very constipated childhood...(Grim).

Hope you are staying Well..   Doglover.

• Posted

Keep drinking loads even if you feel ok,Watch the veggies I know, I

miss them too. skin fruits and potatoes  I would kill for a jacket potato 

with a crusty skin.Don't let your guard down, just because  you feel O.K

Have you got a woofer???

• Posted

As You Say Jac. I alsolove my B/pots, but they are shelved for the time being. My Bran Diet does (when not Flaring) keep me comfortable & Regular..  I carefully keep watch & record which foods affect my DD.. And I have a not under any Circumstances List of foods to Avoid...!! Growing all the time...my latest Flare I blame on A very spicy Chilli-con-carn.    Doglover..
    • Posted

Sorry Jac. Forgot to ask! What is a Woofer??   

Doglover.

• Posted

I know Jac.  Why did I say that when I know damned well it's all sh*t.

In answere to you ps.  It's just pouring here too.  I am without car at the moment and, living (as we do) in the sticks, public transport is poor. Non existent tomorrow.  I have enough H&B to last a while.

• Posted

The chilli if it was very hot would not have helped ,but it was probably

the beans that did it  BEANS are a no no .because they are like 

sweet corn, baked beans and anything else with a skin on ,hard to digest

A woofer is a Dog ,

• Posted

Well you may be right about the kidney beans. I never thought of them..so maybe try the chilli again minus the beans! It's all trial & error with this awful disease...

I realised about the Term Woofer after I asked you to explain.. Silly me. Should have seen the connection with Doglover.. & yes I do have a Doggy.. A Shi-Tzu named Honey. She is a real sweetheart..

Doglover.

• Posted

You just have to think about the bad guys and keep referring to the hit 

list Sorry to be late with a reply, but this  machine has been playing up BIG time  Fingers x'd

• Posted

I gather this is your ( held in abeyance post ) Forgotten what I asked you .

are you noticing any difference at all with the probiotics ? or is it too soon ?

Can I have a mince pie at Xmas. ? confused

• Posted

It may be too soon but, I have been so well this last week that I want (what a silly thing to say) to have a bout just to test the H&B's  I can't remember what I said that was offensive in my post.  Now would I;  pure as the driven snow!

Yes, my dear DO have a mince pie at Christmas (and any other time) they have absolutely no effect on me whatsover. My long-ago prepared (by Dietician  ) avoidance list has held me in pretty good stead and, I would say, judging by some of the more recent posts, very good advice which has stood the test of time.  She (my Dietician) also said 'if you ever meet anyone called Jacqueline, who likes horses as much as you, then tell her mince pies are on the menu'  Would you ever believe that!  

• Posted

I see that a post from Sam to Jac is waiting to be moderated.  Is she 'left of left also?
    • Posted

Yeah, right . course I believe  you .Can't you put your Tarot card

reader's menu on sight , then I can see for myself the " mince pie"

porky  pie. 

Are you taking two capsules a day ?  See, I do have my uses,as a pain 

diverter

I read the mentors note about Sam's post .it was to delete the. product

names Advertising and all that !   

I'm surprised that no one has offered Good xmas dinner menu .or even

BAD  one. 

Have your number of pouches AKA dustbins increased over the years??

How many camera jobs (oops) have you had ? I'm in full Gemini mode

questions ,questions ,questionscheesygrin

• Posted

Yes... 2 caps per day and at least 30 mgs of fiber total. So I drink the fiber shots that I dont mind as much. The diseased area covers 4 inches in my lower intestine. I wish I had thought to ask how many pouches. Looked like several. I have a friend with Cohns and she has so much pain. I dont know which is worse.. I cant experience her pain..but she is given steroids for the imflammation. I wonder why we are not given steroids? I would try it to see if it helped.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up