Mild hypothyroidism over medicated, off thyroxine, now really bad symptoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

Has anyone has s similar situation to me? 

I was put on eutroxsig for a total of six months as I had mild hypothyroid and I found out from an endo and as I suspected I probably didn’t need them. The dose eas 50 them upped to 75. 

A month after I started taking them every other day I got stomach cramps and eye pain. I told the doctor she shrugged it off. 

She then prescribed 50 every day and few months later I had pins and needles in my left arm and tingling in my left hand. This didn’t even get s raised eyebrow cos my numbers were fine.

Dosage was upped again and a month later my body went into chaos,tingling legs for two weeks,hot sensations on arms, stabbing eye pain and do I ceased thyroxine after I went into hospital. 

The six week wait to be tested was absolutely horrific with the symptoms I endured. Today three months on I still endure a select few plus new ones. 

Please has anyone else been in the same boat and has it ended. I am chasing doctors who will listen but all by bloods are perfect, mri perfect and thyroid apparently I’m range.

Thanks

Mel  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have sossy fingers on this phone - hope you could make sense of it :-) 
  • Posted

Hello Mel, I have severe thyroid disease. Thyroid medication did not work for me at any dose, as the side effects are horrible, and the meds can actually worsen thyroid disease and cause other autoimmune disease. I was horribly ill the whole time I was on them. 

However, going on and off these meds can also be incapacitating. So you'll need to be aware of that, as any sort of change in dose can be very difficult. You'll have to weigh the side effects of the drug with the side effects of withdrawal and make a decision whether to go off, what to do to treat yourself, and how to minimize effects.

Diet and supplements can play a huge role in reducing thyroid symptoms and even getting thyroid disease into remission. There's a ton of info on this. Some good, a lot that doesn't work. I've found gluten free paleo style diet to be helpful in calming the immune system. I find essential amino acids to be more effective than thyroid medication for treating hypothyroid disease. 

As for me, I'm way better now that I'm off and am doing a more natural approach to treatment. With your mild thyroid disease with some diligence and discipline, you have a good chance of reversing the disease. Doing nothing is not an option, as this leads to advanced thyroid disease and worse.

• Posted

Catherine thank you so much for relying, I’m really at a loss about what it is I’m experiencing and I’m unsure if the tablets have sent me hyperthyroid a bit even though my bloods don’t show this.  I have insatiable thirst, eye pain, feel sick etc. 

How long where you on the meds for? And how long before you got it under control. I am so nervous right now to take any doctors advice ( even though they don’t have any but to take endep!), pop any pills even natural ones, as my body is so poorly. 

I am veggie and I asked for help with a food plan from my friend whose a nutritionist. I really don’t know where I’d be without it but it’s not making much difference I just know I’m eating the best I can be. 

You are so right, doing nothing is not an option, I am so stuck as basically I’m on my 2nd GP who ironically I was with years ago and she has no answers, instead thinks I’m making it up as the symptoms come and go, get worse or are different.  

Mel  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.