Mirt. feedback- not working as well? Also, HUNGER!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am having several issues with Mirt. and would love some feedback.

I started on a combo of 30 Mirt/75 Effexor at the beginning of November and it worked great. It pulled me out of a longtime depression and gave me my life back. The only problem was constant and untouchable hunger! I also gained some weight, as many do on Mirt. I can accept the extra pounds, but the hunger has just been really hard to deal with.

So I tried to go down on the Mirt. and switch to Wellbutrin mid January (while keeping the Effexor in place). I went down to 15mg for 2 weeks and felt fine. That gave me the confidence to go to 15mg every other night. The plan was I would do that for 2 weeks then switch to 150mg of Wellbutrin. This has all been done with a Pdoc that I really like, by the way. The problem is that after a week on the 15mg Mirt. every other night, the depression came back, so I was left with a choice: ride out the depression over the next week on the low dose of Mirt. so I could make the switch to Wellbutrin or go back up on the Mirt. to regain my stability for a while before trying again (hopefully with a plan to make the switch to Wellbutrin more quickly). After feeling so good after feeling so bad for so long, I decided that stability was most important for now, so I went back up to 15Mg Mirt. every night. Well, after a week of that, my depression was still as bad, so on Sunday, my Pdoc had me go back to the 30mg. It has only been two days, but I am still depressed today and am just worried that whatever effect the Mirt. had before is somehow lost.

SO! After that longwinded backstory, these are my questions:

1. Is it possible for the Mirt. to just stop working or not be as effective this time around? And how long should I give it before I know?
  2. If it does start to work as well as before, but the hunger persists: Is there any truth to the idea that the hunger isn't as bad at the higher doses? I have also heard some people say that the hunger lessened for them after a few months. Has anyone experienced that?
  3. Has anyone taken both Mirt. and Wellbutrin? Did you find one to be better than the other?

Thank you all in advance!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Obidoo - Making transitions with meds will affect the outcome. Meds will take between 3-6 weeks to work fully. I would stick to your regime. I've been on Mirt @ 45mgs for about 10 years. The hunger has not abated but I was always skinny so could afford to be a pig. Of course, meds affect all of us in different ways. Can't advise on the mix of Mirt and Wellbutrin, although having had Effexor - which was a nightmare - I researched it and found that it can cause suicidal ideation in some patients. Nice to read that you are finding a way out of depression and things are working for you - just give it time to balance and you'll be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.