Mirt increase or switch

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi hoping there might be someone with experience to share. I am currently on 30mg of Mirtazapine, which was upped from 15 to 30 after a couple of weeks and for about 8 weeks now at 30mg. I am also taking 200mg per day of Pregabalin for 3 weeks now. As things were pretty bad when I started at 30mg I was taking 0.5 or 1 mg of Lorazepam per day for a few weeks. Not taken that for 2 weeks now. The depression is not lifting much yet, and anxiety seems a little bit more under control, must be if I am not reaching for the Lorazepam.

So now my GP has consulted with the psychiatric doctor, as the team are not directly seeing me for a few more weeks yet. The advice now is to up the Mirt to 45mg and if we don't see an improvement in a few weeks to switch to Lofepramine. The doctor also said he was comfortable if I wanted to change to Lofepramine now. Or I can keep going as I am for a bit longer.

So decisions, decisions?

Can anyone off advice on:

30-45 mg Mirt, does it help , has it helped anyone where the lower dose has not helped?

Lofepramine experiences?

If switching now the GP said it would be a straight switch, stop Mirt and start Lofepramine, sounds a bit abrupt to me?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi H

Sounds very abrupt to me too H; I would highly recommend you read the other people's comments on here regarding coming off Mirt' - the fact that our fellow sufferers on this forum seem to know more about 'coming off' than the GP's beggards belief.  Search for "Coming off Mirtazapine' for an informed choice.

I cannot help with advice for the other meds you mention, obviously a new med' will take a while to get into your system and start working.  Mirt' has been very good for me, immediately enabling me to sleep (at last) and controlled the extreme anxiety I was unable to control with Diazapam, beta blockers etc ... maybe you should give it a while longer?  

I wish you well.

• Posted

thanks calmer. Are you taking 30 or 45 mg of Mirt? Have spoken to the GP just now and taken decision for now to keep things as they are and see how the next few days go. I must say I am wary of going to 45 mg as it is supposedly more activating and could increase anxiety. I think they probably see it as the least problematic change right now but they only think it "might" help. I have looked around forums a bit and not seen anyone who has found 30mg to be not very effective then go to 45 mg and find it makes a difference.

• Posted

Hi, I am currently coming off mirt and although everyone is different I found increasing to 45 didn't help me, just made me feel hungover, having said that everyone is different so it could work for you. My advice would be to try it for a couple weeks and see how you feel, can't hurt to try it and if you feel any worse just drop the dose back to 30, hope this helps take care
    • Posted

thank you Craig. see my reply to Calmer for the decision we took today. the GP only needs me to phone and say I want to up the Mirt up until Friday so have a few more days to see how things are.
    • Posted

very low today, considering the change to 45mg but quite wary. if it works will it help with how low the mornings are currently.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear your feeling low. It really is a suck it and see senario I'm afraid. They normally say with any dose change you need to see how you feel in about 2 weeks. I have experienced both going up and down in dose and you need to wait a couple weeks to see how you'll feel. One thing i do remember is increasing from 30 to 45mg didnt have a horrendous impact so try not to be too worried if you decide to try it. sending you well wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.