Mirt WD Digestive Symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Questions, if you had significant digestive issues with your withdrawals, how long did it take before any significant relief, and what were the symptoms. I am right at 6 months, and still having significant cramps and pain. Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

• Posted

I still get issues once in awhile. I'm trying to figure out if certain foods are giving me issues now. Ie. More acidic foods causing problems. I usually get pains on my left side only, so I'm going to get my gp to look into it. I find that the smoothie drink helps me in the morning when I'm usually feeling the worst with the stomach pains. How this helps out. Congrats on getting past the 6 month hurdle.
  • Posted

Hi David,I thought you were in Hostpital.

nice to see you back.x

• Posted

No Norma, if I had thought that it would have done any good I would have. I know that I have no idea what pain is with regard to what you are going through. But i can say that it has been almost unbearable. I had been a little better, but with mirt wd, until you are all the way out, good days are there to remind you of how bad the bad ones are. I really appreciate the thoughts and concerns of everyone. I have been in a dark place for a few days. Today, this afternoon to be more accurate, has been a little better. I send you and your hubby my prayers and best wishes. David
    • Posted

David did you have a cat scan on Friday .i was told you were very poorly.

I also think as far as stomach problems were both as bad.

Im Haveing some Kefir off a lady,it's a live Probiotic,I've been told very good for stomach issues.   I also rang the help line at the hospital I'm under,and the head nurse told me Mirt was a nerve blocker,and she tried to get me to go back to 30mg,but I refused.  She's getting back to me next week with some help I hope.   I left you a couple of messages but there probably meaningless now.   I was told you may have had a mini stroke.

glad your back.

• Posted

I did have a mini stroke. I was to have an MRI of the brain Friday, but had to reschedule it until next Friday as I was too sick to be in the MRI tube and risk vomiting in the tube. Good luck on the probiotic. I have tried several, no luck as of yet. They just give me gas and cramps. David
    • Posted

Just another problem then David. I hope your alright,would you put it down to Mirt?
    • Posted

Norma, since stopping the mirt the first time 1.5 years ago, I have had one thing happen right after another. I decided because of the side effects of the mirt, I would get off them. I talked it over with my doctor, he gave me a taper schedule, which went from 45 to zero in one month, after almost 8 years at 45 mg. The problems started then and I have been in the hospital a number of times, and spent literally weeks in bed sick from one thing or another. So put it down to mirt, maybe. I have had strokes in both eyes, but still had vision enough to drive. That was probably mirt as well. I have a reason to hate the stuff. Well it is getting late where you are, so I bid you a very good night. Take Care Norma. God bless you my friend! David
    • Posted

Same as me then David,I've been on it 8yrs at 45mg.  I came off it once easily for about 3mths,then I was taken in Hostpital unconscious and was on a life support,when I recovered consciousness,I was too ill to know what was going on and they put me back on Mirt.  I'm now down to 15mg but like you down to GI problems I can't get any lower.  So I agree wholeheartedly with you that most of my problems have been due to Mirt. Plus other Meds I've been given over time.

Gosh I wish I could go back 10yrs and know what I know now,things would be so different.     You probably feel the same.  We'll get there one day David.  Positivity the answer.  Hugsxx

• Posted

Norma, do I understand that the mirt wd is what put you unconcious in the hospital?

David

• Posted

No David,sorry I probably didn't word it right. I had been off Mirt for around 3mths with no problems.

I have Ephesema and I had a chest infection and couldn't breath,that's what made me unconscious,they told my family I wouldn't see the night through,anyway when I came round I was really poorly,to the extent I just wanted to die. They did not give me any of the meds I was already taking for other health issues,they were just concerned with my lungs.

So when I was due to come home,I was like a zombie because one of my meds was similar to Mirt,you can't just stop it,and they had,so they put me back on Mirt to pick me up. And I've been on it ever since.

If they had been giving me all my other meds while I was in there,my frame of mind would have been alright.

I hope I've explained myself better this time.   By the way I no way blame the Hostpital there concern was keeping me alive.

2yrs on when I had an heart attack and was taken to Hostpital my hubby made sure they gave me all the meds I was already on ( including Mirt) 

and my frame of mind was fine.  

I don't know if your like me David but I get sick of trying to find answers to feel better.

• Posted

Norma, you are right, I do get sick of it. The problems that I was having before all this crap was due to mirt side effects. The first attempt at stopping failed, and left me with a real problem. They had stopped from a 45 mg taper to 0, when I had to go back on it, it was done by my GI doctor, but she only put me back on 7.5 mg., which left me 37.5 mgs short of where I was, so the withdrawals kept going, just not as bad, and after a year of feeling like hell most of the time, I just stopped the 7.5 cold turkey. I would have been better to taper it, but thats water over the dam. I figured I would either get off the stuff, or would need to go back to the 45, and taper down as far as I could, and stay there. I don't know what I am going to do about these cramps and pain. I don't know how much longer I am willing to go before trying to taper up the mirt to a point where the painful cramps stop. I would hate more than you can imagine if that happens, as I have a heart rhythm problem that is aggravated by the mirt, but I will do that before spending the rest of my life in pain that I can do something about. My mother has been on 30 mgs mirt for years, and at her age she is still doing great! I just had a short prayer for you and Malcombe. God bless you sweetheart! Your Friend in Christ, David Norma, I though that I was a strong man, I guess not!
    • Posted

Norma, I have a form of IBS called SFS Splenic Flexure Syndrome. Are you familiar with this? Also, do you have BM difficulties? David
  • Posted

So ended up going to the hospital last night. Stomach issues were too strong.  They did a CAT scan which turned up nothing.  Original thought was that it might be kidney stones or appendix.  Results turned up nothing. So frustrating as I've been making good progress being off the Mirt for almost a year now.  Next possibilities is Gall Stones or something similar.  Doctor gave me Buscopan for now.....see how that works.  I think a colonoscpy is the next step. 
    • Posted

Ryan, I only have 6 months, but have had two CT scans, one with contrast and one without. Like yours, nothing. According to my researce, there is as much serotonin used in your GI as in your brain. I wish you the best of luck. Have you lost any weight? David
    • Posted

Hi David. I had no idea about the serotonin levels being so high in the intestines. I have lost some weight and I don't sleep well lately. My wife is the one that seems to hold me together. I think the next step is to look at an ultrasound or colonoscopy. Whatever the case things need to improve for me again. Keep positive.
    • Posted

If you don't mind my asking, your age, any family history of colon polyps, passing any blood? Bright red or black? Any Fever?
    • Posted

I'm 39. Caucasian. My grandfather on one side had colon cancer (at age 92) and my grandfather on the other side had polyps / diverticulitis.
    • Posted

No distinguishing shape / colour /consistency. I had a black stool awhile back. No fever.
    • Posted

I would have the colonoscopy. I had had 3 by the time I was your age due to abdominal symptoms, but never found anything. Good Luck, and keep me up to date. David
    • Posted

Thanks David. That sounds like a good plan. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Good bless to you and your family.
    • Posted

I'll be 62 October 2nd.My abdominal spasms are much better, but with this come and go good days / bad days stuff I am kind of in limbo right now at 6 months. I have had GI symptoms, and have had two abdominal CT scans, one with contrast, and one without, which both came bac negative. My GI doctor saw the and says that she thinks that my problems are withdrawal, anxiety, and IBS whic I have had all my life. Again, keep me informed. David. By the way, we have a great private Mirt WD page on facebook, and would love to have you as a member. Contact Rose McKat, and she will take care of things!
    • Posted

The Mirtazapine page is private for its members, Rose started it, so you have to message her on her regular page and she will tell you what to do afterward. Tell her I told you about it.
    • Posted

Go to facebook. In the search box at the top, put Rose McKay in the search area, hit enter, and when her page pops up, you will see a square that says message. Click on it and leave her a message and how to get in touch with you. That simple.
    • Posted

I'm from North America
    • Posted

The one with the square gray picture to the left of it. Let me know if you find it.
    • Posted

It is the top one on my screen, but taht me be because we are friends.
    • Posted

Hmmmmm.... I'm not sure. It's tough to do through my phone.
    • Posted

I'm trying to think how to do this without divulging personal info
    • Posted

Are you already a facebook member? What kind of personal info do you have to give up? I you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't!
    • Posted

I use a laptop, I still have a flip phone, but my wife has an apple smart phone and she is on facebook a lot.
    • Posted

I have a laptop too. I'm quite exhausted from the day, but I'll try to contact maybe tomorrow. Thanks for all the info David. I really do appreciate it and enjoyed talking with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.