Mirt weight gain.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am on my slow taper from 30 mg of Mirt. (Been on them 18months-2yrs) have tapered to 15 with no problems over the last couple of months. 

Could someone remind me please if/when these food cravings will stop or slow down.

Many thanks.

p.s. Advice for new users. If you would not be happy with gaining a great deal of weight....get off these sooner rather than later.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine, this is probably not what you want to hear, but I did not have any reduction in food cravings until I was below 7.5mg and even then it was just a reduction, not a ceasation. In addition, the mirt still had a negative effect on my metabolism until I got below 2mg. Only now that I am completely off it have my cravings gone entirely. Just keep going. You will get there and it does get slightly easier the closer you get to the end, but I recommend making up a liquid suspension to get you off the last bit of mirtazapine.
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine

I am tapering also, from 15 mg, now at 6 mg.  The food craving has ceased hurrah !!  hurrah !!  I would say it slolwed down at about 8 mg, for me.  We're all different, some have said it was better for them at 10 mg.  Just go slow, important not to shock the nervous system, let those poor neuro transmitters return to normal gradually.  

I think going from 30 to 15 in a couple of months is pretty quick so you've done really well. Are you UK ?  Mirt' liquid is available here, costly so have to beg the doctor for it, but so much easier once you start splitting the dose by small portions.

Best wishes. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, Yes I am fine from 30 to 15. It is my intention to stay on 15 for at least 2 weeks, poss 3 before dropping again to10.  I am hoping that positivity will help me as I am desperate to lose some, if not all  of this eccess weight  (almost 3 stone) which is impacting on my health and brings a misery of its own, not to mention the lethargy to boot. I am hoping that I can kick these AD's, altogether, however, worse case scenario I will be started on a replacement AD without this awful weight gain side effects. In the begining I was so happy that I felt better mentally Had I have had any idea this would have happened I would have questioned if this was the right drug for me and would have opted to try something else instead. 

Anyway....onwards and upwards, I will not be a slave to this weight and will try my hardest to conquer this. 

Best of luck to those on the same journey. 

Lorraine x

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I'm singing from the same hymn sheet re the weight, only now can I even stick to a healthy plan for more than 2 days, so awful isn't it.  But beware the fast track off Mirt, you don't want to be another one having hurrendous WD symptoms.  Not sure if you have read the advice of wd 10% every 3 to 4 weeks?  So to go from 15 mg to 10 is 33% drop, hmmm that is too fast for many, maybe read about/have an informed choice here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD".   

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.