MIRT WITHDRAWAL after 20 years, How and what I'm feeling.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Method of tapper:

day 1 @ 30 mgs.

days 2&3  @15 mgs

Followed that method (no worrisome disturbing side effects)  Did that for 3 weeks.

day 1-30 @15 slight side effects of mild headaches, fatigue, mild vision disturbance, mild internal tremors.  Nothing to scare me or that I couldn't handle. Followed that method for a month.  Sleeping fine.

After a month @15 mgs tappered to 7.5.

This is my 5th day at that dose. I now know that I should have used my prior method of alternating 15 with 7.5.

I can hardly walk straight, visual distortion comes and goes and if frightening, internal tremors top hallf of body moving to bottom half of body.  Taking deep breaths because I feel like I'm not getting enough air and my brain feels like a chunk of wood atop my shoulders and like a band is around it squeezing.  I'm going back to bed.  Can't do anything or concentrate/focus at all. I hope I can sleep.

Was going to call doc but I know he would just tell me to start taking the Cymbalta he gave me script for 3 months.  I don't think I want to get on this roller coaster again.  Xanax seems to handle my anxiety (well almost) but it's lack of sleep that is a real problem.  It's a form of torture.

I'll keep ya all updated on my progress just as an FYI  in case you decide to withdraw. Wish me luck.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Frazz

I've been withdrawing since late march, feeling all those things you are feeling and more...I took mirtazapine 30 for almost 3 years and stopped it completely cold turkey back in march(bad idea) but it happened and after much reading and web surfing i decided to just ride this horrible symptoms, it hasn't been easy but I totally agree with you when you say not wanting to do the roller coaster with all this meds... today I'm struggling with clenching my jaw even though I'm sleeping better I do not feel well rested and I think is because I'm either grinding my teeth while I sleep or cause I clench my jaw during the day or maybe both, have the burning sensation in my mouth, just wish someone will come forward and say this is also part of withdrawing... but anyways hang in there my friend you're the only one suffering I'm with you and I most certainly can relate...keep doing whatever makes you comfortable and if you feel in your gutt that you can win this fight keep going cause positivity plays a big role...Take care!😇

• Posted

Thanx so much for your input candy -- the replies I'm getting here are definitely helpful and making me feel more optimistic and as tho I'm not going nutzo.  I feel sorry for my honey who is going thru this with me.  He wanted to go out to eat and I freaked -- panic (don't know why).  Feels like I want to hide out and let the storm pass over me.  Thanx again for your words. Best wishes to you as well.

• Posted

Do either of you have agitation with the depression and in tapering does this get  easier

• Posted

Hi Ann 

In my case I didn't tapper down and I had really bad agitation specially cause at the beginning I didn't even know I was withdrawing, but yes agitation was big problem for me self talk is usually very helpful.

• Posted

Thanks that's v interesting.

i have felt the agtation even in the tapering so i will try self talk more, any other hints and does it get better the longer you are off it? 

• Posted

Hi ann:  I can feel the depression taking hold again.  This is my 6th day (evening) at 7.5 mgs.   I haven't had agitation (hoping I don't get it and if so not too bad).  My entire body feels depressed; almost like it's an effort to move.  All I want to do is sleep.  I went outside with my book (weather in Chicago is nice today) and out of no where I felt the presence of my x-husband who has been deceased for 20 years.  Freaked me.  I'm still kind of leaning to my right when I walk/wobble but no real dizziness, visual disturbance or headache today.  This morning I had the thot -- this is not worth it.  If I have to go thru this for a long time, I'd rather be 6 feet under.  I know that's withdrawal talking and if those thots continue, I have an excellent support system of friends to call.  I'm gritting my teeth but I know there has to be a light at the end of this crooked tunnel.

• Posted

Best of luck Frazzled! I'm hoping you will feel well soon! 

• Posted

Thank you.  It's so nice to be able to come here and vent and have people know exactly what I'm talking about and that I'm not crazy. 

• Posted

Why did you start withdrawing after 20 years? Did you suffer from any sexual side effects?
    • Posted

Hi Rish -- to answer your question, I am withdrawing from Mirt because it is no longer working.  After all this time, my system has finally found out how to get around it.  I had the same problems with all SSIRIs anti-depressants I took early on (one of the reasons I started Mirt because it's a different class of med -- tetracyclic antidepressant).  Yes, Mirt can definitely caused loss of libido; for me but it took a while before I began experiencing that (several years). 

• Posted

I am trying to get off this now down to about 4mg.  Like you all other ssris didn't work, just made me more agitated or like a zombie. Do you have really bad nightmares on this med? I wake around 2 hours after it and having horrendous nightmares. Then need diazepam to get back to sleep but all night my brain is all muddled till,i wake feeling depressed again., 

• Posted

Hi ann:  Thankfully no nightmares that I remember.  Now, however, the insomnia is beginning.  Went to bed at 3:30 am and woke at 5:30.  Took a half of benzo (xanax) and that gave me 2 more hours but my sleep is all drugged.  The best sleep I get is on the sofa after I eat dinner while trying to watch TV.  I guess maybe I should eat at 3 am?  Nah, I've got to work thur lack of sleep now.  This is a big fear because if you're not sleeping well, you feel like the zombie you mentioned.  I feel 1/2 here right now.  I just ordered a refill of Cymbalta (will have two opened bottles) just in case.  I have to be very careful during October because that's when sessional affective disorder (SAD) gets me (every danged winter).  I don't want to go back on another med but I don't want to suffer either.  Cymbalta is a different class of drugs (SSNRI) but it still has a huge list of side effects.  Sigh. Well I cross that bridge once I get off Mirt.  One more weeks at 7.5 and then half of that if I can cut the tab into crumbs.  cry

• Posted

Hi

Did you take any other drug apart from mirt in these 20 years?

• Posted

Hi, how are you going?  I am down to 5mg mirtaz.  I didnt get on with cymbalta last year so have no prescription to change to as i seem intolerant to a.d's. 

Still wake feeling i dont want to be here, some morning worse than others. As the day progresses i feel i can do some things. Being social is not back im afraid. Sleep not good some nights.  Hubby is my rock but i depend too much on him and ought to be able to do more on my own.

if i could get rid of the anti social feelings and the so low i dont want to be here ones i might stand a chance.

See how you get on after the 7.5 drop, it takes a while im told until brain balances out and can be hard.  We have to push hard, its soul destroying sometimes.  Where did our happy days go?

good luck and keep pushing.

• Posted

Hi ann: 

Today I had to make a decision.  The side effects at 7.5 mgs after two weeks, were so bad that I could hardly function.  The last 3 days, wasn't walking straight, felt as tho there was a film over my eyes, couldn't focus and my head felt like it was going to float away, could not eat, bad pain in stomach (I never get stomach aches) restless leg started, thoughts of suicide but just thoughts,  Anxiety right thru the roof and that feeling of deep depression was setting in which, of course, causes my anxiety to increase. I didn't think Mirt was still working for my depression but it must have been for me to feel as down as I did.

I called my doc cell phone (emergency) number and told him.   He asked if I needed to go to the ER in order to stop me from doing something I didn't really want to do to myself and I told him no.  He talked me down telling me we'd get thru this together. He said that after all the time I've spent withdrawing from Mirt, the amount of depression I was feeling was it's return without the med. He told me about the other medications that are available but he said I want you to increase Mirt to 15 mgs. tonight and then slowly increase back to 30 mgs (2 -3 weeks at least).  He said that for me Mirt is the best med. available right now in the US for my conditions. 

In a way I feel like a failure but his words of "there is no reason for you to suffer like this" kept coming back into my mind.  He said that if Mirt doesn't work at 30 for my winter depression, that we'll possibly up it for a short time to 45 mgs (highest dose recommended by mfg) to see if that helps.  If not enough, then we'd reassess.

I just couldn't push anymore, ann.   I don't want my remaining years (ain't no spring chicken) to be ones of suffering.  So it's "better living through chemistry" for me for now.  I feel relieved in not having to stress over this any longer. 

I wish you all the luck in the world and thank you again for your kind words and encouragement.   hope you are sucessful 

-Anita

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.