MIRT WITHDRAWAL after 20 years, How and what I'm feeling.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Method of tapper:

day 1 @ 30 mgs.

days 2&3  @15 mgs

Followed that method (no worrisome disturbing side effects)  Did that for 3 weeks.

day 1-30 @15 slight side effects of mild headaches, fatigue, mild vision disturbance, mild internal tremors.  Nothing to scare me or that I couldn't handle. Followed that method for a month.  Sleeping fine.

After a month @15 mgs tappered to 7.5.

This is my 5th day at that dose. I now know that I should have used my prior method of alternating 15 with 7.5.

I can hardly walk straight, visual distortion comes and goes and if frightening, internal tremors top hallf of body moving to bottom half of body.  Taking deep breaths because I feel like I'm not getting enough air and my brain feels like a chunk of wood atop my shoulders and like a band is around it squeezing.  I'm going back to bed.  Can't do anything or concentrate/focus at all. I hope I can sleep.

Was going to call doc but I know he would just tell me to start taking the Cymbalta he gave me script for 3 months.  I don't think I want to get on this roller coaster again.  Xanax seems to handle my anxiety (well almost) but it's lack of sleep that is a real problem.  It's a form of torture.

I'll keep ya all updated on my progress just as an FYI  in case you decide to withdraw. Wish me luck.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi Frazz,

I came on here because I'm looking for some re-ssurance and solace as I try to get off Mirtapine. I understood why you decided to come off Mirtapaine because although I have only been on it for 9 months it has stopped working for me too. I was originally on on 30mg but went back to the GP who increased my dosage to 45mg which made me feel awful. So another doctor advised me to come down to 15mg and then stop, which I did within 2 weeks......what bad advice that was!

I felt dreadful, night sweats, deep anxiety, nauseous, panic, everything went haywire! I went to a natural herbalist for advice because I didn't want to go back to my surgery for more ill-informed opinion. The very helpful woman said it's understandable to "crash and burn" if you come off anti-depressants too quickly and that Mirtazapine is a particularly nasty drug to wean yourself off.

Despite taking natural remedies and Canabis Oil I am still feeling all the same systoms and didn't know what to do. I found an online withdrawal plan from a UK University who have looked at the various levels of Mirtazapine and how to come down slowly and safely. So I am now on this plan, with 7.5mg for 1 day then 2 days@ 15mg then down to 7.5 etc. ......I just hope it works because my depression has today kicked in with a big BANG. Feeling almost suicidal, my husband says it must be the withdrawla because I really feel the worst I've ever felt, much worse than when I originally got depressed and went for help.

I feel badly let down, surely no one is supposed to feel this bad in the 21st century, I'm sure depressed people in the 12th century had a better time! I think the drugs advice is so varied that it's difficult to work out the best way to progress, but this site helsp by showing me that I'm not alone, I'm not alunatic, I'm just struggling with having been on something that I would never have taken in the first plce had I known it's long term and deep effects.

Good luck to you too on your journey, I hope we both get there in the end.

• Posted

Hi Pauline189

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Looks like its you and me left here fighting this med.  frazzled has had to return to previous regime, hope it works and feels better.  Meantime onwards and upwards, keep posting your views.  I can pm you if necessary
    • Posted

Thanks for your very kind words and support. I begin to feel desperate in that I wonder if I'm always going to feel as I do now, but my husband constantly tries to re-assure me.

I have other family around me so I can get some comfort but I don;t think anyone fully understands the depth of depression and how it overhelms you. But I'll keep fighting and may have to try get some answers from my GP, but without much confidence. Bye and thanks again, Pauline

• Posted

Hello Ann,

Thanks for your continuing support. I went out yesterday to christening party and managed to get through it but with an over-arching feeling of being SAD and depressed. This morning I feel terribly depressed again and my question, which no one seems to be able to decipher is: Is my depression a part of my continuing and tapering withdrawal from Mirt. OR is it that my original depression is still with me??

If it's the withdrawal then I can almost put up with that because I know that eventually it will ease off, everbody tells you that. What really worries me is if the depression is here to stay, preventing me from doing anything normal like shopping, cleaning, work, everything! Because if it's depression what do I do. I don't trust my GP to know what the hell to give me next and I can't stand another round of AD, having tried and failed on Mirt, Sertraline, Prozac.

I hope you're well as can be too, it's so good of you to reply, let me know how I can help if I can by comparing feelings etc, Pauline

PS Yes PM me if you'd like.

• Posted

Hi I've been on mirt for about 9 months, started on 15 for sleep, popped two discs in my back which led me to have anxiety, doc raised mirt to 30. I'm now trying to get off them, I've reduced from 30 to 15 over two weeks. I've had restless legs, can't sleep and am itching like mad but am determined not to go back up. I will stay on 15 for a couple of weeks and then try 7.5. Hope your symptoms ease , funny how medics never mention the side effects when dishing out these things

• Posted

Hi elaine.  See my reply to ann (being monderated right now).  I want to thank you and all of the folks who followed me thru this journey.  I'm so glad I have you all for support as well as information. 

THANKS TO EVERYONE

-Anita

• Posted

Thanks for letting us know where you find yourself at the moment. You need to do the right things for you and i hope the next few weeks will allow you to feel better.  Do please keep posting with your journey and we will see how you progress going back up the dosage.  There is no doubt from reading these posts, and there are many, that this med is one of the most difficult to come off.  You have done well, this is just a setback. Sending you support.
    • Posted

My doc told me it's more difficult to withdraw from many anti-depressants and benzos for anxiety and panice disorder than it is from heroin addiction. 

I'm already feeling less anxious (may be due to my stopping my pushing myself to quit)  but its been 2 nights back up to 15 mgs.  Feeling a bit better already.

I wish I could have stopped but my suffering was way to extreme (prob. because I've been on Mirt for 30 years).

Keep up the good fight people.  My best wishes go out to all of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.