Mirt withdrawals - unpredictable torture

Posted , 8 users are following.

I felt almost decent at bedtime, 12 midnight. Although I woke a few times, I woke rested and feeling ok. I couldn't believe it! Well I shouldn't have believed it either, as by 10:30 I was in the bathroom with the dry heaves, so nauseated that it was an effort to walk back to the bedroom. That is just cruel, and further messes with an already struggling mind and body. This after going on 9 weeks. I now feel sick as a dog. Take Care, David

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh, David, I am so very sorry to hear this. It is beyond cruel and I wish I could make it stop for you right now. You are in my thoughts....so so so sorry....
    • Posted

Thank you kathy. Every day I hate that stuff more. It should be a law that not only should possible side effects be listed with medicines, but the withdrawal symptoms as well, signed by someone who has actually taken the stuff. David
  • Posted

Hi David

thank for keeping us all posted. Unbelievable what you are going through, are you keeping your doc informed of all this trauma. I've been on mirt for about 3 years, started at 15mg alongside Prozac. My dose was upped to 30mg (prozac stopped), then recently my doc has upped me to 45mg. I have rheumatoid arthritis and am recovering from severe pneumonia but I'm feeling really dreadful, I have no energy whatsoever, utterly fatigued and I'm starting to think it's the mirt. So when I see my doc on Monday I'm going to ask to come off it. I've found it to be a good AD and I've had no weight gain. It doesn't help me sleep, I've always been a light sleeper but after reading your journey I want to stop. Best wishes to you

• Posted

This is a result of David stopping the mirt cold turkey. Make sure you do not do the same, sheila. I wish you well. David's suffering is horrible.
    • Posted

Sheila, when I was on 45 mg my wife used to say that a train could come through our bedroom and I would never know it. I wasn't that way before or after. My experience with this drug is just that, my experience. If someone is benefitting from it, and aren't paying for it with side effects, then its not my place to advise them about whether to stay on it or not. But if someone isn't already on it, I would advise anyone that I call a friend to find an alternative,
    • Posted

Hi David ...what can I say ..hmmm. I guess all any of can really do is let you know we feel for you ...and I do ...really do feel for you!

My own experiences and struggles mean I have some empathy with you ( although only you truly know what David goes through ...same is true for us all).

Sometimes I get the feeling its the blind leading the blind as so many are fighting their demons (so to speak) ...still I sincerely hope peace and a better quality of life comes to you soon ...real soon!

Much peace...

• Posted

Karl, thank you for your empathy and kind thoughts. If I could get some relief on the nausea, abdominal pain / cramps, and fatigue I would be over the hump. My family is having a family photo made tomorrow at my parent's home, and unluss things improve I won't be in it. Thanks again, David
    • Posted

I hear that David ...

Dig deep ...or should I say 'deeper' and make your way into that family photo ... Try just TRY a little meditation ...reading of inspirational quotes ...hot bath followed by gently tummy massage ...prayer even ...these are just meant to be examples ...at the very least if you try just one thing (not necessarily from the list I've given) ...you might get a small amount of respite from what seems more like torture than withdrawal.

I'm just grabbing at straws David ...but even though I'm feeling lousy ...I want you to feel better ...as I know you want me and others to feel better too.

You, me, others fighting their fight ..ain't none of us truly alone. People ( might not be many in the grand scheme of things) DO CARE!

Get some rest David ..and TRY to feel your mind with as many positive thoughts as you can!

Much peace

• Posted

Karl, once again I thank you for the insight, as it takes experience to know what works. I listen to an online sermon every morning, and read at least one chapter in the Bible. I am on my third time of reading it through, starting Romans in the morning. At any rate, I am doing what I can. I try to watch TV or read something to get my mind on better things, but sometimes the abdominal pain has me laying on my side with my knees pulled up to try and ease the cramps.

Again, I don't mean to cry, and I appreciate all of you who either are or have been where I am helping me, and believe me I don't know what I would do without you. I have nobody but my wife who has a clue. The abdominal cramps have eased a little, thank God. Have a good weekend, my dear friends, and bless you all for being there. David 

• Posted

hi sheila, i have 0 energy as well.  i can't stand it.  i want to stop as well, or at least go back down to 15. and yes above 15, i cannot sleep. 
    • Posted

No David! ....you CRY ...you are a human being and PAIN IS PAIN!

If I could ...I wish I be there to help you through. Its clear from the msgs people are sending you ...you are a very special warm human being and people are rooting for you...

If I had 3 wishes ...you'd get 1

Take care (as BEST as you can ...and keep reading. This sinner here is praying and hoping YOU improve soon...

• Posted

Hi suzie, thanks. I have been thinking it was my RA or recent pneumonia but reading David's and everyone else's posts has made me think it may be the mirt. The zero energy and general malaise ties into the time my dose was increased to 45mgs. So I will be discussing with my GP on Monday. I can't carry on like this, it feels I'm on the edge of life, not getting involved. Also, I'm isolating myself from everyone, I just can't be bothered. I hate feeling this way which makes me feel worse and round and round and further down I slide. I'm going further into a black hole. And it worries me that though I'm aware of it, I haven't the energy to change, it's got to be the increase in mirt. I'm numb emotionally too.
    • Posted

Hi Sheila, I also felt like this, I cut myself off from everyone & everything & with no incentive to do anything, it's very isolating & doesnt help the mood whatsoever but i found it uncrotrollable, I would def discuss this with your gp & I sincerely hope you find an answer, thinking of you, best wishes x
    • Posted

Sheila, you just listed the reason that I got off the stuff. My life was ticking away in my bedroom, and my life beyond that wasn't much. Thanks for putting it into print. I wish you a turn around that leaves you well, David
    • Posted

David and Brandy,

thank you so much for your positive answers. Okay, this is how it's gonna go with my doc - I am stopping these pills, what is the best, least problematic way to do so? I want to avoid the hell David has eloquently described.

I'm beyond grateful for both your posts.

God bless you both and sweet dreams

• Posted

Sheila, I can only recommend you see your GP, as stopping these meds on you're own aren't as straight forward as it seems, I only want the best for people in situations like ours & I'm here if you want to chat, take care xx
    • Posted

Ultimately everyone is different & may not get some of the withdrawal that others do, I'm

Counting myself extremely lucky that it's only itching that I've encountered so far, my heart goes out to David - seems to be really suffering, I hope this eases soon for him x

• Posted

Sheila, I can only tell you what you shouldn't do, and that is what I did, cold turkey. One thing that I can tell you, and this is that it doesn't matter how long it takes, write down what your goals are and then check them of as you accomplish them. Be as kind to yourself as you can, no matter what it takes or what anyone thinks. It will take courage, so grab you some out of your pocket and use it! We will want to see your progress on here, which is the home of the greatest coaches, cheerleaders, and just plain listeners. Regards, David
    • Posted

this excess fatigue started with my increase as well, and in addition i still couldn't sleep.  i have a week to wait to see the psych, but i am going to tell him i cannot stand it.  i try to do a few things... imwent for a small walk and i have to lie down.  can't stand it.  i will have to take something else .. let me know how your dr appointment goes.
    • Posted

Suzie, will the doctors in the UK let you make changes over the phone if it isn't quite time for an appointment? When my mother was getting her dose adjusted (US) she called called and left a message for the doctor and he would usually call it in, provided she didn't miss appointments. I just have seen several posts where folks were needing to see their doctor, which was going to be a while.
    • Posted

hi david,

no,i am in canada and they always want you to come in.  it's torture waiting.  i have been struggling to find something that i can tolerate, and i went to the hospital in order to see a psychiatrist. he was the one that upped the mirtz, which i tried and cannot stand.  he keep saying i shouldn't have tose side effects.. insomnia, anxiety. i am taking 22.5 and was almost going to reduce it a bit more last night but then i didn't.  all i know is that the fatigue is too much for me, and it certainly hasincreased my anxiety.  sometimes i just want to go to the hospital and say i am suicidle just so they would admit me.  i know i will need another medication .. that treats anxiety and depression.  it's been 5 months of trial and error on medications.  all i know is mirtzapine has not helped me except when i was initially taking 15 mg for sleep.  i feel desperate.  how are you?

• Posted

Suzie, mine is still bad. I was up all night with abdominal pains and cramps, anxiety, and depression. I sat on the side of my bed this morning and had a good cry. I feel awful right now, fatigued and weak. Thanks for asking, and good luck with your health, David
    • Posted

david, i am so sorry.  it is verv very cruel.  i have taken a couple of clonazapam for the anxiety.  my thoughts are with you
    • Posted

I logged in purely to see how you were doing David ...phewww so sad to hear no real continual respite has come yet.

So I'm guessing ..no you in family photo?

David its HARD I KNOW ...and I'm a hypocrite of sorts for giving advice that I often don't or can't follow myself, butbut each day TRY (REALLY TRY) to do something ..anything (no matter how seemingly insignificant or mundane) that is positive. E.g. Lay a hot water bottle on your tummy, do 5mins of deep breathing exercises, read from the book ( you which one; something you do do anyway), give and receive 3 hugs per day, repeat in meditation 'I will improve ..I will get better ..I will be free of this teribble pain'..

Literally, think of any ..ANY small positive thing that you try or do or repeat that just might potentially give a tiny bit of respite from the chronic debilitating pain.

Not much advice I know ..but right now from where I am here in England at 5.27pm Sunday 3rd May ...I really do have only you and thoughts of you feeling better on my mind.

Kind regards as always!

Karl

• Posted

I wish that I could take clonazapm, as they are longer lasting than Ativan, but for some reason they make me sick at the stomach and "foggy". Thanks for your thoughts.
    • Posted

Karl, thanks for the ideas. I already use a heating pad for my stomach. I was up all night last night, and sat on the side of the bed with my wife and cried this morning. I couldn't help it. And no, I won't be in the family photo. My two younger brothers have both died, and I would have been the only child, otherwise mom, dad, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and possibly the dog. They are going to have it at mom & dads. They have a house out in the country, and the picture will be outside. Anyway, I am laying on the heat now, and I feel much better than last night. I will get better, and I will try the meditation. It sounds like something that would work for me.

And Karl, thank you very much for the reply last evening, it meant a lot. Take Care, David

• Posted

I hear you loud n clear David ...when you have time and able, please check your personal inbox ...sent something for you to consider. No pressure, you'll decide whether its worth a go.

Regards Karl

• Posted

Hi Sheila,

I noticed that you didn't get an answer to your quuestion when you asked "how to withdraw" - have you heard of the CITA method I wonder?  It's a very slow method of withdrawal; MIRT' wd cannot be rushed, it takes months if you want to limit the nasty effects - how long have you been on Mirt? And did you say you were OK on the 15mg dose?  

• Posted

Sheila I agree with Calmer ...don't make the mistake of underestimating Mirtazapine Withdrawal.

I did a week long phased reduction ...coming from 15mg ...to 7.5mg for 4 days ...to 3.75mg for 3 days ...to 3.75mg every other day for a further few days. Then I was free!

Felt tentively better and optimistic and relieved to be off Mirtazapine for the first several days ...and THEN was hit with what I can only determine as being withdrawal OR some historical mental health problem now triggered and exacerbated in someway by my having taken Mirtazapine. Hope that makes sense. Its all pretty confusing to me even.

My experiences aside ...I wish you Sheila ( and Calmer and others) ...much peace and strength.

Regards Karl

• Posted

Dear Friends

thank you for replying and good advice about tapering which I shall follow. I feel so sorry for our friends who are coping with much suffering, in particular David, I really appreciate your honesty and pray that these symptoms will abate soon. As I've said earlier, it's the overwhelming fatigue, lack of interest in anything (I mean anything, I have become a sloven in the past 8 weeks, personal hygiene, eating, functioning as a human) and emotional numbness. Initially I thought it may be due to RA , recent severe pneumonia or loss of my job in Oct - due to ill health. But after following this forum I suspect it is due to mirt. My dose was upped to 45mgs approx 3 months ago and I think it has slowed me down in every way, the feedback I've received appears to endorse this. I see my GP on Tues and I now want to have a serious discussion about this drug. Meantime, I have been halving the 45mg pill. I basically think it's too strong, I am a small person. I thought it was a good AD for me on 15mg or 30mg so that's why I want to discuss the pros and cons rather than just ditch them. I've been taking them for about 5 years. Since losing my job a lot of stress has disappeared but being unemployed presents different stresses - financial, direction in life etc. No one said life was easy, did they? Take care all

• Posted

Hi David, I'm so sorry to hear there's no improvement for you, please know you've been in my thoughts & prayers all weekend, I'm so glad I started this discussion as its shown that we're not on our own & the support from each near or far has been overwhelming, wishing you better days to come x
    • Posted

Thank you, Brandy. If I hadn't found this forum, I wouldn't have had a clue as to why I am feeling like this. I had no idea that mirtazapine withdrawal is what it is for most folks. I was having some significant digestive issues about 8 years ago with severe chronic Irritable Bowel Syndrome. One of mirtazapine's listed side effects is constipation, and my IBS was mainly diarrhea. Plus as part of what was going on, I wasn't sleeping very well. So my doc put me on the 15 soltabs, the ones that are fruit flavored that dissolve on your tongue. They helped for a while, and he gradually raised it to 45. My mother was taking 45s and I thought it was OK. So for the next 8 years or so I took them. During that time the side effects gradually appeared and got progressively worse, and I didn't even know that it was the cause of why I was feeling so bad. I finally, with my wife's help, figured it out. I would take the mirt at bedtime, sleep like a rock, wake with a hangover and headache most mornings, feel like hell most of the day, and gradually feel better toward bedtime, and then around 8 in the evening I would be OK. Then take the mirt at bedtime, and start the cycle all over again. I had no idea when I was taking the stuff that I couldn't just stop. That is my story about getting caught in the mirtazapine trap. Again, I don't know what I would have don't without you good folks to explain why I was feeling so rotten. God bless you all, David
    • Posted

Dear David

I hope you had a peaceful night and are feeling better. Love and good wishes from the UK. Your posts have helped me enormously ☺

• Posted

Sheila, thanks for the well wishes. I had a better night than the night before. I even slept a few hours! Take Care, David
    • Posted

Karl, are you off Mirt now or did you go back on?  I only ask because the symptoms you describe above sound like WD and not mental health problems returning.  I agree with you, it must be hard to know the difference, time will tell but you seemed to go off them very quickly??

Wishing you well smile

• Posted

Calmer peace n love along with sincere hopes you are having a settled day...

Yes, I came off approx 2 weeks ago.

Did it over 7-9days

i.e. 15mg >>>7.5mg (4 days)>>>3.75mg (3days)>>>missed a day >>>3.75mg (1day)>>>missed a day>>>>>3.75mg (1day)>>>Totally Off

Make sense?

Regards Karl

• Posted

Hi Karl,

Wishing peace & happiness to you too.  I am indeed having a good day, busy but that's how I like it.

That sounds fantastic, I didn't realise you were off - how do you feel, any wd at all?  Guess they say wait and see after 2 - 3 weeks of "totally off" but you seem on the up so all the best to you.

Stay with us, let us know how it's going.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.