Mirtazaoine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Mirtazapine for a month now i take the tablet before i go to sleep at night. I have noticed that since taking Mirtazapine I have gained weight has this happened to anyone else?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Weight gain is the most complained about side effect with Mertazapine. I take it too and I try and curb my appetite but I totally can see weight gain. I really want off Mertazapine too. Did you know that they give Mertazapine to anorexic people so they'll eat and gain some weight? We'll know you know. It's like a drug that gives you the munchies. If you smoke weed it also gets you way higher. I don't know the reason for that but it's true. Hope you feel better and watch your intake. Bye for now.

• Posted

Yes i had read quite a few articles and people have been saying that it has made them gain weight. I was only put on it due to me being depressed and not sleeping at night but im doing back to see my doctor this week im going to ask for an alternative because i dont want to put weight on as people are commenting and its making me feel worse sad
  • Posted

Hi kady,

Maybe speak to your doctor about taking a different antidepressant if this side effect is distressing for you? Another alternative is that with time, your body will adjust and your appetite will go back to normal. Alternatively, you could perhaps take the pill in the morning and see what happens - UNLESS your doctor or the packaging has said you should take it before bed. If you did start taking it in the morning, i would move the time you take the pill back gradually each day until it's morning, so that your body doesnt receive a shock. Good luck 😉 

• Posted

Hi, I will be doing when i go back this week the doctor put me on them to see if it would help me sleep but they dont sad I dont really wanna give them time i dont feel as if they are working to be honest and if i carry on taking them im going to be huge and i dont want that. It says i cant take them in the morning they have to be taken at night.
    • Posted

Well, it's good that youve been able to cancel out the two options that wont work for you ?? It's just a case of seeing what else the doctor can prescribe for you, and until then please dont worry about the weight as it is only temporary and it will go back to normal in no time with different meds x

• Posted

Mirtazapine is an antidepressant. Mirtazapine affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression. Mirtazapine is used to treat major depressive disorder. Mirtazapine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.