Mirtazapine 15-30

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi,

I have recently upped my dose from 15-30. 8 days in and my anxiety is when waking up is quite bad and lasts most of the day. I have ruined Christmas for everyone close to me, my wife is at the end of her tether with me. Please please can someone tell me it does get better than this. I'm suppose to go on holiday in 3 week and cannot face this. I've been to doctors or spoken to them 3 times before Christmas. I cannot cope with this much longer, just can't settle. It does calm down on an evening but it's just like ground hog day. What am I going to do. Contant feeling of dred and I'm trying but people keep saying you have to think positive, but it's so hard when yr constantly fighting this rubbish. Is it me that's making it worse? Is it side affects? I am ready to just go mad. 15mg when I went on 7 months ago worked wonders, doctors don't seem interested im at my wits end...please help me someone...😢😢

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Richard this is not your fault!

You seem to be blaming yourself for being unwell. This is tough! I am 5 weeks on 15mg Mirt and have good days and bad days. Anxiety is less and sleeping better. I don’t intend to increase the dose as I don’t think that using medication only is the answer. I am starting some therapy in January to talk about my past which I think is causing my depression. Be kind to yourself, do things for yourself that help.... warm bath..... I have found that using lavender oil helps me relax. 

• Posted

No I have been taking it since April 15mg and upped about 9 days ago to 30mg. 15 worked great then the anxiety came back. 

Now on 8th day of taking 30mg and my axiety seems to be getting worse as soon as I wake up. I've been given propanolol 3 times a day. Off work, trying to get out best I can but just worry about it all. Suppose to go on holiday in 3 weeks but as yet can't face it. My wife bless her, I've ruined her Christmas as I put her on edge, I just can't cope. Don't want to go back to docs think they will just fob me off!!! At the end of my thether do I stick with 30 for another week or go back down to 15 to see if the morning anx goes. Or will I get withdrawal after a 9 days on 30. Just don't know what to do. So fed up with it all just think people would be better off without me. I've suffered like this on and off for 7 years on different occasasions. Trying to be positive but what can you do!!!

• Posted

Hi Richard

same thing happened to me when they upped my dose to 30mg I thought I was losing my mind.. I stuck it 12 days and doctor put me back onto 15mg

cant understand it as I was on 45mg last yr with out any problems though they never helped me yes they give me a full nights sleep and they give me anxiety which I never suffered from until I was put on mirtazapine..

would you not go back down to 15mg until you see your doctor as for me dropping back down did help me regarding less anxiety 

im now free of mirtazapine 3months still have the anixety pop up in waves but not half as much as when I was on mirt..

i know it helps loads of people but I surely wasn't one of them

good luck and hopefully your doc can help you some with advice

kaz

• Posted

Hi,

When u dropped back did you find if you had any withdrawal from 30 after 12 days, will I feel any withdrawal by lowering  for 1 night will it cause me issues upping and lowering.? Did the 15 still feel sedating more so?

I just don't know what to do. So scared I'm getting to the end of my thether.

• Posted

Hi Richard 

because the 30mg was causing me to feel so ill when I dropped bk to the 15mg I actually felt better and yes I did sleep, 15mg made me sleep better than 30mg

when have you to see your doc again ?

kaz

• Posted

They never said, but think I will go early next week as it is full. 
    • Posted

Richard

where you feeling ok on 15mg just the anixey issue? Was the reason you were put on them for anixety?

kaz

• Posted

You could try 22.5 if you have any 15 left by halving one. As the mirt worked initially till you see doc. Now that the stress of trying to brave it out for the family's sake at Christmas has passed.

• Posted

You are over thinking everything. Because you are desperate to feel well for your wife's sake because of the holiday fast approaching. You need to speak to your doc. Ring as soon as you can. Try getting a telephone appointment if you can't get a face to face. As people on here have said it's works for some on different strengths. And some it doesn't work very well. You might need some thing else as well like beta blockers. If you don't speak to the doc. They can't help you. Counselling could help you through this also. To get you through and show you how to manage your feelings. But the doc. Is your first port of call. Hope you have a better new year. And a good holiday.

• Posted

hi RIchard i have been on 15mg for years to help with sleep.15mg no enough to make me sleep right through so doctor gave me 30mg i have tried this dose on two separate occasion months apart on both location they sent me of my head. the following morning after taking 30mg i had severe anxiety on waking up feeling terrible most of the day, anxiety so bad i could not do anything  at all. felt like i was shaking inside and anxiety level so bad i could not go out at all ,unbelievable nightmares. 30 mg made me so ill. now i don't sleep that well on 15mg but rather have this that been driven crazy by mirtazapine at 30mg . i ignored the doctor and cut the tablet in half this would seem your best option .when i come down to anti anxiety and depression drugs the patient is the expert on their effect on themselves and not the doctor. you do what you think is the best a good doctor like mine know this and works with me my medication.  i know the best dosage  that work for me and my doctor has told me so. you have my best wishes hang in there, you will get through it . and anyone telling you to think positive are usually the one that have never been there. it a lot harder than thing positive.

• Posted

I have been unable to get above 15 on mirtaz, cut to 7.5.dr told me that was doing nothing and said drop off, i am doing slowly but feel terrible, have cut 7.5in half dor last momths and i have my original symptoms back, waking moaning  and cant get up, when do im full of anxiety and down.  Psych said to come off them and hes right they dont suit me nor did other ssris.  I just cannot get better.  What can he five me to lower my anxiety, he says thats my main problem.
    • Posted

Have your nightmares gone completley gone at 15mg? I'm currently reducing,originally on 45mg but can't put up with nightmares no more,hence tapering off.if your nightmares totally gone,how long after you went down 15mg did they go?

• Posted

Hi I have been on Mirt 15mg for 6 weeks and no more nightmares, an occasional strange dream but no nightmares.
    • Posted

Hi

How have you tapered from 45mg ? Did you have withdrawals ? What dose are you on now ?

Sorry for all the questions but i am about to start tapering off 45mg after nearly 2 years and am really scared.

• Posted

Sarah

GP said I could drop straight to 30mg (I did no research first not to scare myself) but had lots withdrawels,night sweat,going hot to freezing cold shivery,nausea,severe migraines,fatigue tinnitus in left ear,anxiety spikes,not feeling myself,dizziness,blood pressure went through roof,had go on antihypertensive med ( never had blood pressure problem) that's when penny dropped and realised it was all withdrawels,thought it was viral,but no withdrawels! Stayed on this dose until I felt really well,then dropped by 25% by by using pill cutter,each time for me,nausea relieved by cyclizine from GP,but worst was severe migraines that hit around 8 days and would last a good two weeks,or up to three,but would eventually go,anxiety spikes,and needed to reassure myself it was just withdrawels,got to 22.5mg,but had to go slowe,by reducing next bit by quarter of 15mg pill each time as when I tried drop from 22.5mg to 15mg had severe muscle spasm neck that trapped nerve and affected my arm for 

10 days severe pain,despite immediately going back to previous dose.for me i waited to all withdrawels gone before reducing once again.had to up dose and currently on 22.5mg ( but that was due to nerve pain from existing back problem,and mirtazapine helps nerve pain) going to see GP on 15th Jan,as definatley want off this drug because nightmares and bizarre vivid dreams.

It is very scary tapering,as just same for me (also scared depression returning) but so far ok.what is your reason for wanting off this drug? Why were you prescribed it?and did it work?

also some people get no withdrawels,so all I would say is listen to your body,and you will know what dose to drop by.its recommended to drop by no more than 25% of each dose you are,and even slower,if needed,when I get to 15 mg I will reduce my reductions to 10% every four weeks,as seen some people say the lower you get,you may need to go slower.

wish you the very best of luck,and hope you are one who gets minimal withdrawels,but if you suffer it may help to think they don't last forever.

• Posted

How long had you been on it ?

I do not think it has helped me and i get side effects. It was only when i was put on another AD that i started to feel better. So i am now on both. I desperately want off the mirt as i feel fat foggy and hungover every morning also i get dizzy abd feel weak.

I plan to drop 10% every 4 weeks starting in feb as i have surgery at the end if jan. I am going to get liquid mirt prescribed by my gp to do this. What bothers me is that going from 45 to 15 you can do in about 9 months at that pace but the last 15mg could take years.

• Posted

Just worked it out. From 15mg at 10% every 4 weeks it would take 200 weeks to jump off at 0.1mg !!!
    • Posted

I had been on it for six years,( took being on it a year,and time) before I felt 100% last five years,if it were not for awful nightmares and bizarre dreams,I would even have put up with extra two plus stone I gained,which I could ill afford,as my depression was so severe,and I am very afraid it may return,but so far ok.Im also on citalopram 40mg which causes me no side effects.
    • Posted

Sarah remember it's not a race and better to do it slowly but surely rather than need to up dose,but you may be lucky and can do it at a faster rate,just listen to your body,and very best of luck.

• Posted

I am also on 150mg of venlaflaxine and 10mg of diazepam. I also need to come off the diazepam.

I know it is not a race but i have had a heroin habit and i was tapered over 5 weeks with withdrawals for 1......this is insane. Also it means putting up with the side effects for over 4 years and being on diazepam all that time. The gp will think i am crazy to sugger a 4/5 year taper.

I have done another post as i want to know if this is the standard length of time to get off 15mg.

• Posted

Theirs a whole post basically about mirtazapine tapers on benzo buddies x
    • Posted

Sarah some people can taper quicker at the start,I was ok with 25% decreases every four to six weeks ( just waited until all withdrawels went) then the last reduction did 20% as hit me more,and definatley intend to go slower with liquid getting lower.you may be lucky,but just listen to your body as only you know how you feel.try not to worry about tapering of diazepam,

just yet,just do one drug at a time.your GP may be more understanding than you think,or you may be able to change GP for one with interest mental health.

good luck,and keep posting,we are all trying to support each other as best we can,and we've all got first hand experiences.but also remember we are all different genetically,and for that reason some seem able taper faster others,but treat yourself kindly,eat the best diet you can,drink plenty water or squash,I take multivitamin and high dose omega 3 ax helps brain health,lots fresh fruits and veg.rest when you can,and don't be too hard on yourself.you say you have Detoxed off heroin,which I have no experience of,but you must be a strong person to have done that.Try take one day at time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.