Mirtazapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I went to my doctor after realizing that Citalopram (which I've been on for over a year now) has stopped working and my depression and anxiety are making a comeback with a vengeance. He has prescrobed me Mirtazapine to switch to. Being a s**tebag as I am about new medication, I was just wondering if anyone could share their experiences with Mirtazapine? I've been prescribed 15mg to start with for 2 weeks then I've to up to 30mg. I had no major side effects when starting Citalopram, but I guess that was just luck. From what I've read, a lot of people suffer pretty bad side effects when starting an SSRI so if anyone could share their experiences so I know what to expect that would be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi danny, i have just tapering off mirtz, my experience of mirtz wasnt good i found i had no motivation on mirtz and terrible headaches , all i found was it helped me to sleep but the side effects were awfull but have heard they work for some but not many it didnt agree with mritz think hard about this hope i have helped goodluck
  • Posted

Hi Danny, The fact you recognised citalopram wasn't working anymore tells me that having some self awareness that will enable you to trial new med over next 2-4wks.You will have to give this one a chance to work over at least a month if not 6wks so long as nothing unlivable with comes up as a side-effect that i would anticipate being within 48-72hrs.Make a 2-3wk appt now with yr prescriber as that can help if unpleasant side effects are happening at this point that may give you the encouragement/confidence to continue.I started Lithium last nite,for some reason has scared me to death but hey ho got to just keep plodding on with life. I really hope you improve.Best Wishes L

• Posted

hello lynne. what is lithium? i wouldnt advise mirtz but danny look on the mirtz site then see how u feel hun
    • Posted

Hi Julie, i was diagnosed approx 6-8wks ago with Bi-polar (manic depression) Lithium as far as i can ascertain is onl used for this condition NOT Uni-polar (clinical depression) best wishes L

• Posted

Try it and see how it goes, thats all you can do really. Everybody reacts differently to AD's, i tried a couple SSRIs and gave both 6-10 weeks, they did nothing for me except bad side effects, but other folk here have found them life savers, everyone is different
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies everyone. I definitely feel stuck in a rut with Citalopram and I suppose I'll never know about Mirtz till I try it. I have 3 Cit left and once they're done I will go onto the Mirtz. My only worry is the weight gain that a lot of people report from it. My body image and self esteem are far from positive, and has only gotten worse over the past few months (a cycle of getting depressed about my body but having no motivation to do anything about it). If I put on any weight I know I will not take it lightly so this is a big worry for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.