Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

After taking mirtazapine for 3.5 years have gained 4stone, no amount of exercise or diet could shift it even following a diet plan, I found the weight gain contributed to my depression thus knocking the tiny bit of confidence I had left, I found after taking mirtazapine every night I'd eat the cupboards inside out & even the kids if they stood still long enough lol, I'm pleased to say that after a lot of persuasion from me to my doc I'm finally off it (although on a higher dose of another AD) I've lost 10lb in 2 weeks & the boost its given my confidence is an understatement, although I'll prob be on AD for a long while to come I finally see light at the end of tunnel, this in itself is a major turnaround to what ive been feeling in a very long time. I wish everyone that's going through the trauma of depression all the very best for the future, it's a horrible illness & very misunderstood, I'd be more than happy to talk to anyone whose going through the same thing xx

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

How did you come off the mirt? And what are you on now?

Congrats on your success!!!

• Posted

Hi kathy, how are you? Thank you for your lovely comment, After repeatedly telling doc that the weight gain as well as other things were really getting me down it was decided that I could come off the mirtazapine but only if I increased venfalaxine (which I have been on for 10yrs) admittedly I now have to take sleeping tablets, I can cope with that as long as the weight comes off as I found the mirtazapine was a big contributing factor to my low mood, 3 weeks in (touch wood) I'm feeling good, the weight loss has def increased my confidence & the belief in myself that I can get through this & fight & cope with anything that comes my way, I'd be more than happy to talk further with you if you find you're struggling, all the best xx
    • Posted

That's awesome. Did you just stop the mirt? And increase the venlafaxine?  I mean, you didn't have to taper? If you did it that way, you are one of the very lucky ones. How long ago did you do this?

All the best back to you...

• Posted

My mirtazapine had been reduced over a period of time but I still could not control the craving to eat, I started on 60 mg of mirt & I was weaned off at 15mg providing I took the increase in venfalaxine (depression) & zopiclone (for sleeping) I only done this with docs advice 3 weeks ago, I've have found no decrease in mood without mirt so far, though I'd be very reluctant to start it again even if mood decreased, the weight loss while off the mirt has given me a huge boost to confidence & a different outlook on things in general, may I ask are you on mirt & how you feel about it?
  • Posted

Thank you Brandy, you're one in a long line of contributors who've convinced me not to even start taking this stuff and I wish you well
  • Posted

My doc told me not to take zopiclone for more than 4 weeks as it can be addictive, and your body gets used to it so you have to take higher dose for same effect. I take it very occasionally.
  • Posted

Congratulations!!! 10 lbs is amazing! And you will keep losing I am sure!! 

For me, the weight gain was also a huge issue with Mirtazapine. I took it together with Metformin to at least keep my weight at the same number, but losing was impossible. 

Now I am on Trintellix, which is fairly new and "the little brother" of Mirtazapine but without the weight gain. I really hope to have finally found the right cocktail! And I dearly wish for the same thing for you!

• Posted

Thank you for your lovely message & well done you on not gaining weight!!

Trying to lose the weight while on mirtazapine was like fighting a losing battle, now I'm feeling positive that I'll get most of it off through time.

I hope your cocktail works for you & wish you all the very best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.