mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ive just been to the docs to say I want to come off mirt.  Have been on 45g for 2 years and 30g prior.  Doc put me straight on 30g for a monthto see how I go.  Do you think that this is too much?  Its only cos the next size down is 30g.  All I got in the way of support was "see how you go".  Feeling very pos fit and healthy at the moment.  I had gained 5 stones taking mirt, lost 3  down the gym last 6 months but that belly fat just will not shift even on a strict no/low carb diet for 5 weeks. So know it's def the mirt. Want to come off it asap but scared after reading all the differnt forums.  This drug def worked for me and still helps me sleep within mins but don't really need it now...who knows!

Apart from weight gain dont think I had many other side affects

but after reading about mirt (v recently) I could possibly attribute pretty bad constant back ache muscle ache knee joint probs but you don't know at the time do you, it's a very powrful drug.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Difficult to predict how it'll go for you, but I'd suggest reducing more slowly based on my experience. If your tablets are scored like mine, you can break them in half. Mine are 15mg (I take 2 a night) so they should be available, and help you to go down in smaller steps. Eg you could take two and a half 15mg tablets to make 37.5mg ( if my arithmetic is right!). Also you could alternate the full and reduced doses? I was beaten by withdrawal symptoms, and I went back on full dose, which I'm staying on for the moment because I've got other health problems to tackle before I try again. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Heather, I have arthritis and am now wondering if the mirt is attributing to it getting worse. I've been taking them about five years. Started off at 15mg then upped to 30 and eventually 45mg which I'm on now. I've tried going without occasionally but find I don't sleep for about 24 hours. I can't get to sleep without them now. I suffer badly from depression and the GP says there isn't an alternative that would be any better for me. I've also gained about a stone which I can't budge. Wish I'd never gone on them in the first place.
    • Posted

oooh Katkins really feel for you.  I don't know for sure whether it has made it worse, the arthritis was there before Istarted taking mirt. So I won't know for certain until i'm off this drug but am def going to find out!  I am 49 and always lived a very active life but for certain over the last couple of years or so I have experienced extreme body stiffness especially after being still even a few mins sometimes.  Something is telling me that it is more than osteoarthritis of knees and lower back.  However, I do go to the gym regularly now and swimming and this has helped tremendously in every way possible, emotionally,physically and socially aswell as sleeping(when i've skipped the mirt).  Can I ask whether the mirtazapine has helped with your depression?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.