mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi can someone give me advice on mirtazapine I was on citalopram 10mg and docter has changed me to mirtazapine 15mg can anyone tell me what to expect I'm nervous of taking them

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi kaz

Citalopram didn't work for me and gave me loads of side effects.

Mirtazipine was like flicking a switch. I started to feel loads better almost immediately. And no side effects at all, other than feeling rather tired on the first day.

You honestly have nothing to worry about.

wishing you better

Lorraine ♥

• Posted

Hi lorraine and thanx for replying did you gain any weight cause it says it's quite common I start the mirtazapine tomorrow hope this one works for me as I just want to get back to normal
    • Posted

Hi kaz

I did put on weight which didn't bother me as I had lost a lot of weight on citalopram. It certainly gives you an appetite but you can curb this by munching on low calorific foods.

All in all mirtazipine really helped a lot.

god bless xx

• Posted

Hi,

I am on mirtz for nearly 3 months now. I was worried abt the weight gain, you only gain weight if you eat more. My appetite is ok, I actually lost weight at the beginning, as I had no appetite at all. I had side effects; anxiety, could not sleep, dry mouth and I have abnormal dreams still, but all has subsided now except for the dreams. I feel great now. Hope this helps. I am also on fluoxetine. I take mirtz for sleep and anxiety.

• Posted

Hi Deborah I hope I don't have the side effects had enough of them with the cert can't cope with anymore
    • Posted

Kaz

after citalopram you will find mirtazipine is completely different. Side effects (if any) will not be like citalopram.

Please don't worry and just go for it! Get yourself feeling better xx

• Posted

Aww lorraine thank you so much nice to have positive comments I need to be better just want my life back again xx
    • Posted

Bless you Kaz

I was on citalopram for six months and was plagued by every awful side effect going! Plus remained unwell. I was so scared of taking mirt as no way did I want to go through that again. The difference with mirtazipine was instant! Well one day sleepy, but still felt better. Day 2 hooray the sun appeared! No horrible side effects. Don't let the fear stop you from getting better ♥

• Posted

I just don't want anymore side effects lorraine I just can't cope with it but please keep in touch I don't have any freinds really and it's nice to talk over my fears thank you so much x
    • Posted

100% here ♥

I honesty think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. I wasn't tired for more than one day. then I was sooo happy with the transformation! You will be you! ♥

• Posted

Hi Kaz,

Mirtazapine worked very quickly for me very few side effects. However, it does really knock you out for the first week but that effecct quickly wears off for most people. It does make a lot of people put on weight. The weight gain is two pronged. Firstly it causes people to crave carbs and eat more, and secondly, it does something to the metabolism which means that you also need fewer calories to stay a steady weight (around 300 calories less a day in my case). But not everyone gains weight, and the weight you gain can be lost with diet and exercise. I lost all of the weight I put on even when I was still on 30mg of mirt. But is was very hard work! I went on the cross trainer every day and kept my food intake to below 1800 calories.

After around four years of serving me well, the mirt just stopped working for me over night. I am now almost off it, having tapered very gradually over a period of around 12 weeks. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi and thank you for the possative comments really appreciate it x
    • Posted

Hi Kaz. I also had a positive experience with Mirtazapine. I put on some weight but that appears to be levelling out now. I know exactly how you feel when you say 'I just want to feel

normal again'. I also have had terrible side effects with other antidepressants. Please let us know how you go. X

• Posted

Hi jean thanx for your feedback I'll let you know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.