Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg on 22nd march, after previously trialing sertraline 125mg and citalopram 40mg, both with side effects causing me to stop taking them. on day 10 i started with crippling anxiety attacks with no obvious cause, horrifying dreams and broken sleep. Decided sunday night 03/04/2016 that i wasn't going to take it, just to see if it was the medication, woke up monday 04/04/2016 felt slightly better, didn't have any odd dreams, slept without waking up as much as the previous night/s. On day two of not taking mirtazapine (i've informed my gp and have an appointment on thursday 07/04/2016) feel nauseous, cramps, pangs of anxiety, but not as bad and low to no appitite. Are these withdrawal symptoms and if so, how long will they take to disappear?

Thank you smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I came off sertraline after 2 years just stopped taking it I had no side effects .. I no people do off the cit though they taper..Mirtazapine is very good at making u sleep only on 15mg with me..
    • Posted

I was anxious and feeling sick all the time, decided between my gp and psychiatrist that I was reacting badly to the levels of serotonin in my body, they decided to try me on a noradrenaline antidepressant instead, although it's clear this hasn't worked either. For the first few nights on mirtazpine I slept like a baby, but I was still exhausted as I have an under active thyroid, after that I was waking up every 20/30 minutes convinced I was being scratched/hit/poked whilst asleep. Nightmares followed quickly after that. In the past two days I've slept alot better lol.

Thanks for replying

• Posted

Hi Natasha

So you were on Mirt 22nd March to Sunday - 13 days right?  Well if I were you I would just stay off them now, get off Mirt fast if you've decided its not for you, don't linger longer.  But yes, I think you have withdrawal symptoms which you should be able to ride out if the WD is only from Mirt not the other 2 AD's youu mention.

Did you do a slow taper from the Sert & City I wonder?

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi calmer,

That's right, I haven't taken it on Sunday and I won't be taking them again, the city I was only on for 6 weeks, a gp at my drs increased them and then refused to see me about the side effects I was having afterwards so I tried decreasing the dose back to 20mg but I was still having the side effects so I stopped taking them completely. Sert I just stopped taking after getting side effects, I didn't have any withdrawals from what I can recall, both serotonin based tablets I've had bad reactions to, now it seems this noradrenaline isnt for me either.

Do you have any idea how long the withdrawal symptoms will take to disappear?

• Posted

Hi Natasha

As everyone is different it is hard to tell.  I would treat the symptoms of nausea, cramps, low anxiety accordingly, so ginger for nausea and cramps, and maybe get propranalol (from doctor)  for the anx ...

It looks like your doctors are chasing one AD with another and as you say, not having time for you when the going gets tough.  How did you get on at the doctors today?  I hope they havn't given you another AD to add to the mix?  If so, maybe it would be better, if at all poss, to wait until your symptoms have cleared, because if you take another med which also causes side effects you won't know what is what !  

Is it depression you are suffering, or anxiety/insomnia?  Poor you, that's 3 AD's ... I hope you find some relief soon.  x

• Posted

Hi there, I am two days behind you.

15mg from 24th March.

No side effects other then continual but slightly ebbing anxiety. Which I understand is par for the course. 

I was on escitalopram 10mg for 3.5 years but the chest pain side effects where just too much and tappered off them over 5 months. 

Then the real anxiety kicked in a month of being totally clear. 

Wonder if any one else experienced the same. But I also hope this helps you a little. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.