Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm currently taking 30 mg a day but I'm feeling like I would be better off with a lower dose, I can't get to see my doctor for a couple of weeks so wondered if anyone on here had tapered/reduced the doseage, and if so, how quickly - thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan. . 15mg seems the better dose but knocks u out which alot of us need. It's a tough med really. I was on 30mg for 4 months was just told to come off it no tapering ..it wasn't to bad either ..I cnt see it doin any harm going to 15mg as your still taking a fare amount.. it was my pdr who sed just come off it my gp said I should of gone down to 15mg 1st.. I hope this helps x
  • Posted

It is common knowledge that the lesser dose of mirt is better.

But you should not go around changeing your meds willy nilly just because you want to.

Wait and see your doctor

• Posted

I'd love to wait and see my doctor but every time I stand up or move my head around I feel so dizzy - I've only been on it for around 3 months but it hasn't made that much difference to my sleep . . . I'm wondering if reducing to 15 mg might help me sleep better, I've read in places that the lower dose does help you to sleep better
    • Posted

Hi Susan

Yes you are right, the lower doses are more sedating, usually prescribed for anxiety or insomnia, the higher doses for depression usually.

I would say if you have been on it for 3 months to move down the dosages slowly.  You could try 22.5mg first, you may feel wd symptoms as this is a 25% cut - if you're not so sensitive this might be for you, hold there for 2-3 weeks, see how you feel, if it upsets you too much though you might feel like going back up.

Alternative is to break the tablet again so you have

[u] 3.75[/u]

26.25 mg

Might you be able to have a telephone appointment and discuss that way (are you UK?) just a thought?

Wishing you well 

• Posted

Sorry Susan, my keyboard shortcuts were not able to be ready !!!

so its 15.00 + 7.50 + 3.75 = 26.25 mg

rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you - that makes sense.   Thanks for doing the maths for me, it's never been my best subject!
  • Posted

Hi Susan i just started on this stuff 10 days ago and already want off it before i'm too far in i'm on 15mg and have already cut them in half with the intention of taking half or do you think with having taken so little i could stop now? I hope your feeling better it's rubbish when something meant to help us makes matters worse 

Regards Simon

• Posted

I would take 7.5 for 3 nights then stop, I think you should be ok Simon.
  • Posted

Hi Susan,

I think that the recommended taper is 10% and staying on that dose for 3 to 4 weeks. I wish you well with a slow taper. Everyone is different so if you get withdrawal symptom you can reduce by 5% - do what works for you.

• Posted

Thank you Karin . . . I think then that it might be best to wait until I can see a doctor, I can't imagine how to divide up the tablet by only 10 per cent, we may have to juggle the dosage a bit!
    • Posted

Quick suggestion, save splitting tablets, just take 16mgs every other night. Then thirty.

Or 15mgs every fourth day.

So Monday 15mgs

Tue 30mgs

Wed 30mgs

Thurs 15mgs

Fri 30mgs

Sat 30mgs

Sun 15mgs

And so on

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks neuron . . . I may give this a try until I can see my doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.