Mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, New to this forum and have read quite a lot over the past month. I have been on 7.5mg of Mirtazapine for 7 days. I feel it helps me get up in the morning but lately, i need an afternoon rest. I have bad dizzy spells with no appetite. I mean I get hungry but I feel nausea straight away. Been tested for Helicobacter pylori and that's been ruled out but still feel my gut is not well. I am loosing weight and I don't no what to do. The Dr has told me to increase to 15mg and I will do this tonight. 

Your help would be appreciated. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ryan

Sorry to read of your suffering. Have the lack of appetite & nausea symptoms come on since starting Mirt? I doubt very much if increasing the dose to 30mg will correct this in any way.

I understand the need to sleep more when you say you are taking s nap in the afternoon m, Mirt contains sedative which for me, lasted 24/7. The higher the dose the less sedation,

Best in mind, as you may have well read, Mirt can be difficult to discontinue, so the higher the dose the longer it may take. Also quite a lot of folk on this forum have spoken about increased anxiety going up to 30 mg.

Hope this helps a little. Wishing you well 😊

• Posted

Thank you for your response Calmer,

My initial symptoms were IBS after having a really bad panic attack 5 weeks ago (which I thought I was dying) my stomach has been playing up. The Doctor thought 15mg might help reduce my Anxiety but also build up my appetite. I feel hungry but then get sick when I eat I feel the 7.5mg may have helped with sleep but not the eating part. My concern was loosing 7kg after my panic attack and not able to put the weight back on. Having said that I feel healthy and will increase to 15mg. I have read it is difficult drug and it's not for everyone. I just have to wait until I see the effects. I hope to get this stomach back in line soon. Fingers crossed

• Posted

I think, dizziness and sleepeness are expected, but weight loss after only 7 days is not, this might be something else... In any case, 7 days is not enough time to get rid of all side effects, it took 1,5 months for me to adjust to 7,5mg, then I bump the doze to 15mg, and most of them are gone now, but unfortunately appetite started building up.. 
  • Posted

Interesting that you are losing weight as many including myself have suffered hunger and put weight on. I also need a sleep middle of day although this is not always possible so often I drop off in the evening in front of tv.
  • Posted

Hi Ryan.I,too,have IBS/anxiety my main problem being spasming.Unfortunately,I work in a warehouse with a lot of lifting and bending plus we were bought by a large corp almost 2 years ago,switched to their system last Sept and the stress and amount of work is thru the roof.Since last Oct.,it's been hell off and on.I was originally on Paxil 20mg twice a day and Librax twice a day for almost 20 years,then 7 years ago when I had a bad attack they added Bentyl twice a day.Well when I started my bad attack in Oct and it wasn't getting better they switched to Mirtzapine starting at 15mg pm about 7 months ago upping to 30mg about 5 months ago(15am,15pm),Gabapetin for pain/nerve block starting at 200mg 5months ago up to 600mg in 200mg increments about 3 months ago.Plus Tramadol 50mg twice a day replacing Ibprofin which was eroding my stomach lining for associated back pain from the IBS.I also have been weaned off of the Paxil and they were going to wean me off the Librax starting a couple days ago and start me on a tranquilizer.I can't remember off hand what it was(i have a perscription for it,which I haven't filled yet).It started with a "C" and can't be taken with the LIbrax.But now the last 2 nights I've woken up about 2-3am per usual switch position to sleep and gooten really bad cramps in my colon.I go to the bathroom(diarhea,sorry for being graphic) go back and lay down and it seems to be better.Don't know if it's the meds or my food(i tend to eat late because of my schedule).this is the fourth time in about 2 weeks this has happened.I ate dessert even later after dinner,so I'm hoping it's the food and not a delayed reaction of one of the meds.I take my last dose of Gabapetin about 1 am after I've slept for 2-3 hours to help me make it thru the night and wonder if they could be part of the problem.I know with all these different meds plus stress it could take a while to even out,,but I pray it happens soon because it's really wearing on me.I trust in God to help me get thru so I keep on going.Prayers your way.God Bless You.Bob

• Posted

Thank You for all your responses, everyone. Unfortunately, I don't have a really good doctor. He must think I am crazy I go in there today as I have been having what feels like electricity shots go through my body since increasing to 15mg and he thinks its anxiety. I swear I believe its from the Mirtazapine. but he doesn't think so. I try not to use Dr google as that brings me down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.