Mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've, been taking Mirtazapine 30mgfor about a yr 1 @ bedtime for sleep. The only side effect I had was severe nausea, oh I gained around 15 lbs but didn't know it was from the med.. I moved to another State 2wks ago so I have no insurance here until the 1st which is next wk & they say the Insurance I have doesn't cover it as of 9/2017 . So now I have been without it for 5 days. My blood pressure has been around 138/90 that's Tooo high for me!!! I've been nauseated & can't eat, getting awful foot & leg cramps, can't sleep bcuz of them so now I'm really not getting any sleep. Well I've lost 5lbs. My question is isn't it dangerous to abruptly stop taking an antidepressant even though I only took it for sleep??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have always been told you should gradually reduce the dosage when you stop taking an antidepressant. I take mirtazapine for sleep too, and also gained a few pounds, but didn't have nausea. I have also heard that mirtazapine is one of the hardest meds for withdrawal. I am lucky to live in Canada where everyone has access to health care and prescribed meds regardless of their financial situation.

• Posted

Yes i believe its not a drug to come off quickly.  I am tapering and that is bad enough. You need more professional advice as cold,turkey can make you feel awful.
  • Posted

You shld never just suddenly stop AD meds. I was on mirtz for abt 9 months. I tapered off very slowly and i never had any withdrawal symptoms. You need to spk with your GP.

Good luck

D

• Posted

Hi Ms ButterFlye,

You might be one of the lucky ones who is able to taper without any issues. I was not that lucky. After 10 days, I spiraled completely out of control and went back on to the original dosage and tapered over a year. 

I used a liquid compounded Mirt which was also not covered by insurance and only cost $30 per bottle which sometimes lasted me 3 months when I got to very low dosages so I suggest you call you pharmacy and ask about out of pocket costs.  

Best wishes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.