Mirtazapine Advice: Pros & Cons

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started Mirtazapine 30 mg 4 nights ago. Doc replaced Trazodone 50 mg with Mirtazapine and added Vyvanse as well. Reason was increased insomnia, anxiety, depression & extreme night terrors due to a new major stress issue with my son.

Day 1: Woke up with "Hangover" & pounding headache. Up 5 times for bathroom trips. However, I had less anxiety that day.

Day 2-3: Great sleep & night terrors have subdued to same vivid dreams, but less terror. Still less anxiety through the day & less daily nausea.

Day 4: Great sleep, feel alive & ready to tackle the day. However, my clothes are snug around the breasts/back. I stepped on the scale, thought I gained 10 lbs, yet have lost 2 lbs!

Okay, any advice would be so appreciated. Pros- sleeping better, still vivid dreams, but not terror, feeling less anxious & seeing life with a better perspective.

Cons- Fear of weight gain. I'm overweight by 15 lbs & do not want to add more. rolleyes

Is it too soon to see effects of this medication? Can I have clothes get snug, yet lose weight?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Completed 1 st week on Mirtazapine and I'm feeling great. Still waking up throughout the night, but able to fall back asleep in seconds & I do not need my Lunesta for insomnia anymore. Dreams still vivid, but not like the daily terror nightmares I had before I started Mirtazapine.

No weight gain, but I have modified my diet to help eliminate water retention. It worked!

I know it takes weeks before the medication helps with depression, but I feel fantastic throughout the day. Less anxiety, positive thinking, finally getting overdue projects completed.

I'm realizing now we made the mistake of starting Vyvanse 40 mg daily, the same time as Mirtazapine 30 mg, so I'm unsure if it's one drug or the other helping me feel so much better.

I would love to hear some pros & cons advice from other patients. It's very concerning to see all the posts about withdrawals coming off of this medication. I do remember my doctor saying I would be on this temporarily until I felt better. Thanks so much for any input!

• Posted

Hi aphra don’t want to be bearer of bad news I’ve gained 2 stone in 2 years with this med. it’s a appetite stimulator. Hopefully someone on here can tell us if we get changed Meds the weight will banish. Feel for you also we are all same 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.