Mirtazapine & Me

Posted , 3 users are following.

[b:8052816186][i:8052816186]

Well what can i say, ive been on mirtazapine for 2 weeks and im already upped to 45MG.

I was/and still am if my mum has her way on 30MG.

Last nyte i had a mjor bust up with my dad and older brother, neother of them really knw wht i am going thru so my brother just egged me on alot of stuff. I basicallly wanted to kill them both and myself as i am in a depressive state.

But im only on the mirtazapine for my anxiety (which aint really easing yet), and when i was told they would help me sleep i thought great a decent night sleep without worry, Nuh Uh, i cannot get to sleep after i have taken them :? . I went to my Gp today about it all and told her everything, she just upped my dose of Mirtazapine.

I have suicidal thoughts and a wee bit of a pshycotic problem which i have just noticed in myself, and she did nothing to help. Im going to see my actual gp next week, he has a medical knowlegde in mental health so i hope i get this sorted before i start back to college next friday.

please lemme know if any one else has had the same experience as i have had smile.[/i:8052816186][/b:8052816186]

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well there is quite a difference between 30mg and 45mg, so hopefully that will help more. I know this because in the past it has made a massive difference to the way I feel dropping 15mg.

It is hard for yourself and family members. Other people who haven't had the illness can't understand how it feels. I don't know what sort of relationship you have with your family but it would be good if you provide them with some information about the illness. For instance on the mind website there is a section explaining about depression and the symptoms, if you could ask them to read it so they understand a bit better.

I understand when you say about feeling a bit psychotic, I have felt the same and worried I'm gonna do something I regret. Some cognitive behavioural therapy might help to examine the thoughts your having.

best of luck to you.

• Posted

[b:6e9876074b][i:6e9876074b]

Well, even thought its only 2 nights ive been on the 45mg, there is still no change.

i still have the sleepless nights etc.

i feel as tho im worse sad.

Should i be taking another tablet aswell as the mirtazapine? on the first nyte of 30mg i was takin ucerax aswell which helped me sleep.

i seriously dont knw what to do now like :?.

[/i:6e9876074b][/b:6e9876074b]

• Posted

Hi Stobart Fan,

I could list a whole heap of drugs which I've taken for sleepnessness but I think that your GP is the best course of action. One thing I've learned the hard way is that it is ABSOLUTELY vital that you find a GP who is compassionate and REALLY listens to you. I've had a few stinkers in the past but I've finally found a godess who is not only brilliant but takes the time to listen to all my symptoms and doesn't ever make me feel as if I'm wasting their valuable time.

Sleep is a vital part of recuperation, any fool would tell you that. It totally interupts your mindset, outlook and mood. I've had insomnia off-and-on for years and it is the single most disruptive aspect of my life (including depression, but this is the cause of much insomnia so I can't absolve my feelings with this). The best non-med advice I can offer is (a) take time out in the evening for yourself, a relaxing soak in the tub is a good starting point (b) Switch off your mobile/email by a set point at night, each msg/txt you recieve after this can ALWAYS wait until morning. Try and set youself a regular bedtime and stick to it. If this doesn't work (e.g. me tonight), do something productive and then try again for sleep, it helps greatly if you feel more positive about the activity you've done to combat the insomnia.

As for drugs, ask your GP about a course of sleeping aids (e.g. Temezapam). These are never a long term answer but in the short term can work well.

Hope all the best for you, and wish you some god nights sleep,

Best,

Silent..

• Posted

I tried to cheer myself up. Its did not work. Went for a quick hair cut. OMG- and I thought I was blind!!!

Hi stodart fan and silent- give the pills time, they should work. I can honestly say that I went by for about a year and a half , having roundabout 3 and a half hours sleep at night. When my cpn put me on mt it was good that I could sleep, but the brain activities that went on.....man....talkabout nightmares. Though, today I am on such a low ebb, and do not want to fight these moods anymore and DO NOT want to be drinking every night to get myself to sleep, I am thinking phone the docotr and beg.

Really , I cant wait another 6 weeks to get throw trthis. Partner is being a complete....okay prune........//////// ,,,........ honestly worried that I might just snap and be cleaning a lot of blood of his shirts. Oh god no, that would be too much hassle. Either I am seriously depressed and my partner is a nice guy, or he just has no understanding of how he messes my head up. Either way its a mess now.

I also have eaten so so much now I feel sick, I could list it. Honestly, so sick of dishes. I am too scared to get out this situation - what if it is me??????????????????????????????????? Those dishes, so demoralising!!!!!!Blooming dishes!!!! Is this is? Think Ill smash a few, save on the washing up!!!!!

• Posted

Hi Stobart fan, aren't those lorries a bunch of fun seeing them!

I can't offer more than support. I totally understand how difficult it is to expain to anybody about depression. It's partly social stigma (although a lot less than it used to be since about 1/6 people will suffer from depression at some point in their lives), but for me mostly it is that I cannot put the feelings of depression into words. I struggle to do this with my psychotherapist, so what chance have I of explaining this to the rest of this cynical world!! I actually think that it is more understood than before, Tony was right that referring some of your family to good related websites is an excellent starting point, the MIND site is excellent.

I think it is our own reluctance to discuss this outside of peer groups (where we would naturally expect people to understand) is part of the problem, but I know on my bad days I cannot even face the thought of people, not to mention the actuality of meeting them.

If you're still worried about anxiety, then maybe Mt is not the drug for you. I've gotten on famously with Propranolol (40 mg) for over 2 years for anxietry and the main benefit for me is that I don;t have to take it continuously unlike SSRIs/SNRIs to build up a level in the bloodstream where I'm happy with.

Best,

Silent..

• Posted

Lorry , lorry laughs :lol:
  • Posted

[quote:c58f8b684d=\"XxStobartBabexX\"][b:c58f8b684d][i:c58f8b684d]

Well what can i say, ive been on mirtazapine for 2 weeks and im already upped to 45MG.

I was/and still am if my mum has her way on 30MG.

Last nyte i had a mjor bust up with my dad and older brother, neother of them really knw wht i am going thru so my brother just egged me on alot of stuff. I basicallly wanted to kill them both and myself as i am in a depressive state.

But im only on the mirtazapine for my anxiety (which aint really easing yet), and when i was told they would help me sleep i thought great a decent night sleep without worry, Nuh Uh, i cannot get to sleep after i have taken them :? . I went to my Gp today about it all and told her everything, she just upped my dose of Mirtazapine.

I have suicidal thoughts and a wee bit of a pshycotic problem which i have just noticed in myself, and she did nothing to help. Im going to see my actual gp next week, he has a medical knowlegde in mental health so i hope i get this sorted before i start back to college next friday.

please lemme know if any one else has had the same experience as i have had smile.[/i:c58f8b684d][/b:c58f8b684d][/quote:c58f8b684d] Hi there, i found that when mirt was upped to 30mg it kept me awake and made me restless, i was told the smaller the dose the better for sleep, 15mg... :wink:

• Posted

Hi Stobart Babe,

Listen, I hate to say this but it is very normal for students to suffer depression. I had it myself really badly (although this has been before and after a serious problem) when in college. My two youunger sisters had the same experience and one has come out of it once finished college, whilst the other is coming out of it and doing well despite being in college. I've also had an awful lot of friends who suffered depression in college, it is such a life-shift that I'm not surprised to hear that you and others I know find this to be a very, very difficult time.

Take a longer time view and ask yourself if the course you are following is actually what you want to do. If so, you must tough it out, but there is always in college some aupport available, be in counciling or a refferial to a good GP who is used to dealing wiht student anxiety (it is SO common, I'd guess about 1/3 students suffer depression Vs 1/6 of the general population). That doen't make your case unique but puts it into a general perspecive. However, like any of us here, the depression you feel is unique to you and is a very serious issue (I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH). You (and all of us) have got to fight to make your GP take this seriously, it is a matter of life-and-death. Please stress this to your doctor when you see him/her next as it is obvious to us that you need care and looking after. I really hope you find this, it is vital that you do.

Best, concerned and worried,

Silent..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.