Mirtazapine and alcohol or marijuana

Posted , 6 users are following.

I understand that this question may sound stupid... obviously, mirt and alcohol and weed are not compatible as both are are well-known as depressants.

However, those are social things... Sometimes having a few drinks on the party is unavoidable. Anybody can share with such an experience? What exactly may happen, and at which amount of booze?

Thanks

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Henrich, you probably know the official line is not to booze or smoke weed when on the medication, however I like a beer and I do have a few during the week, I don't touch marijuana, never have.

I got wasted on booze last week but apart from still feeling p@@sed the morning after I got through the day ok, I wouldn't recommend it every week though.

im going out for something to eat with a mate of mine tonight and will have a few beers which I don't believe will do any harm, my psychiatrist knows I have a drink and says nothing about it.

Now I'm not condoning drink I just think if it's a small pleasure once or twice a week I'm good with that.

• Posted

I had one drink whilst on 15mg of Mirt and it hit me like a truck, but I'm not sure if that happens to everyone? I felt hungover after one drink too!!

I'm tapering off Mirt, as much as I think it's a great medication, I miss the sociable side of having a drink with my partner and friends so much!

Hope you get some answers

Kirsty

• Posted

I have been on mirt for 7 years and yes I have some drinks some weekends. What I do is if I feel I really have too much to drink that night I don't take it. Wait till the next day to take it.

• Posted

Hi

What is your dose and did you suffer from any sexual side effects due to mirtazapine?

• Posted

Hi, just wondering if you suffer any side effects from skipping a day?

Thank you

Kirsty

• Posted

I know this question is referred to Charles but I would still like to answer this question. I was on three antidepressant pills and several times I skipped a day and never faced any side effects. But when I started tapering this pill side effects came after 8 days and it has been almost 5 months I am unable to enjoy my life due to insomnia.
    • Posted

Oh no, that sounds awful. Did you have insomnia before? I need to come off they for other reasons too. I'm single mum to two little kids and find my memory and general foginess is effecting my day to day life too much sometimes. Thanks for the reply

• Posted

Am on 30mg. Yes my sex drive reduced but is still pretty ok.
    • Posted

Yes I will say a little bit. The night I don't take it my sleep is not too sound

• Posted

Everyone is different so withdrawal symptoms are also different. It may be the case you don't suffer from withdrawal symptoms at all. Be positive. I m down to 0.2 mg on alternate days. Will completely stop taking this by next month. Good luck with your taper.

• Posted

Thank you, I'm down from 30mg to 7.5 now. Went straight down from 30 to 15 as 30 really didn't agree with me. I find withdrawl seems worse in the morning, anxiety feels higher then. Did you find that?

Good luck to you too

• Posted

Yes Anxiety was at its peak in the morning time. It was hard to go to the office after a sleepless night with anxious mind. Last month, I started taking a herb and vitamin d and Vit b12 supplements and feeling much better now. My only problem is sleep now and I hope it will get better with time.
    • Posted

It's good to know that is a symptom that is happening to others, I'm hoping that will get better in time?

I'll look into getting those vitamins too if you've found them helpful, I'll try anything. Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.