Mirtazapine and immune system

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone noticed since taking Mirtazapine that you're immune system is not as strong. Or that you catch colds more severely and stay sicker longer than those around you?

Thanks for any help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elissa,

You know it's really funny that symptoms occur as opposite on some people.  Personally whilst on Mirt several people were saying that they never seemed to get ill, me neither.  Missed all the virus's; however the fatigue felt from Mirt' never got better ... ugh !

• Posted

I find it to affects my whole physical state in general as I'm more tired, get some dizziness and have stomach cramps and my nose is a lot runnier than normal. There probably is a good chance it affects your immune system some also but everyone is different on how it affects them so its hard to say if it's affecting yours negatively.

I've been weening down from 30 mg to 15 mg and I have a lot of head pressure and more tired than the higher doses. I don't know how long you've been on it or at what mg level but definitely do your research on the medication.

• Posted

Dear Elissa.

I feel sick or ill all the time being on Mirt. I've been on it since Feb 16. 

• Posted

Strange you should ask that.  I was on mirtazapine for about 7 months but have got off them now and they didnt make me feel that great.  I started taking them in December of last year.  This could be sheer coincidence, but I had an ultrasound mid March and inflammation of the thyroid was picked up.  In July I had an antibodies test and they were very high, by September even higher and were over the hospital's laboratory measuring facility, ie. the range is 0-60 and my reading was over 1300.  So on top of everything else I now have a compromised immune system.  Fortunately, I declined the offer of a flu shot as this can be very serious and flatten you.  My biggest worry is that once these little devils have destroyed the thyroid, they can then go on and attack elsewhere.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.