Mirtazapine and weight gain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, again, guys!

I have a question for you all about Mirt, and more specifically, the weight gain that is said to come with Mirt. A lot of you, in your posts, have said that you have experienced the weight gain, and this worries me because I am already quite a big dude. In fact, I am about to start dieting and exercising more to shed weight, so the thought of Mirt causing me to gain, well, it's not a very nice thought!!!!! Ahhhh!!!! eek

When you guys say it caused you to gain weight, is that because it made you hungry and therefore you ate more? Does the weight gain happen to everyone? Is there anyone that has been on Mirt that did not gain weight? I am only on 15mg, which I think is the lowest dose. I mean, if it does start to make me extremely hungry, I'll certainly try my best to snack on stuff like fruit or something like that. Of course I have literally on taken one tablet, which started yesterday, so I am curious to hear from the people who have taken the drug for months, even years. If Mirt is going to make me gain weight, after I told the doctor of my plans to lose weight, I am gonna march down there and offer to fight her after her shift finishes!!!!!! razz

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ive been on it a month and haven't gained any but everyone is differant
    • Posted

If you could have heard the massive sigh of relief I just breathed, it would have knocked you off your feet.
  • Posted

Hi David

I have been on mirt twice. First time I was on 15mg for six weeks. I was skin and bone with no appetite when starting it. From the off my appetite came back and never left. I was eating everything and desperately craved everything unhealthy. I gained significant weight in that six weeks. I am now on it again, my forth week and again I'm ravenous! it's like a hunger you cannot satisfy, there is no off button! Apart from starting to feel sick. I have always been fairly slim and now, my clothes do not do up and I feel like a roll poly!

In saying all that, it's really helped in lifting my depression! I do feel constantly sluggish from eating all the cards and sugary stuff. Keep promising myself, tomorrow I will control my eating with willpower. tomorrow arrives and I'm back to grazing on anything that's not stuck down!!

Everyone is different and really hope you are one of the lucky ones!

Wishing you better

god bless ♥

• Posted

Lorraine, nooooooooo, don't feel me that! I don't wanna crave everything that's not stuck down; I have a cat! On top of that, I have virtually no willpower whatsoever. I'm gonna turn into a balloon, aren't I?
    • Posted

Aww David ♥

You made me smile bless you!

You may be fine! You will know fairly quickly if you are going to dual with your cat for food! If so, try and fill yourself up with loads of water..It may do the trick. Come to think of it, I will try that myself tomorrow. Xx

• Posted

I am glad I could make you smile; it's my way of saying thank you for offering up some insight, and letting me know about your experiences on Mirt. It was very nice of you. Although, I wasn't worrying about fighting with my cat for food, I was worried about looking at my cat and seeing him AS FOOD! Cat sandwiches! 

• Posted

Lol ♥

Please keep posting your progress xx

wish you a heart felt good luck and speedy recovery x

• Posted

I'll keep posting progress, of course. This is only day two, and so far my appetite seems normal, but we'll see. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me. 
  • Posted

Hey! So when i started mirtazapine at 7.5 mg i ate everything. Upped to 15 mg would eat mostly anything esp like junk food! I learned to stop the weight gain was to snack on healthy foods or not eat lol. My weight gain was healthy i went from 80 to 110 so it was meant to be lol. I ask my psychiatrist if this pill was 5000 cals or if it was what i ate. He said it was what i ate, etc. So you gotta be aware of what you put in your mouth!
    • Posted

Thank you, Smit, this is extremely reassuring. I always have mass amounts of fruit in my house, so if the hunger pangs begin, I'll just make sure to sink my teeth into an apple, instead of a chocolate bar.
    • Posted

I too wasnt eating, had lost about 3 stones, started mirt and didnt notice what was happening until I put it all back on plus more besides - now ive got to lose 2st. Cravings for sweet stuff - like the OP said anything not stuck down and especially at night.

I dont think mirt has done anything moodwise, i sleep well but feel utter despair all day every day.

Thanks for making me laugh, its a tonic xx

• Posted

I guess I am going to have to muster up some serious willpower, so as not to devour my entire kitchen! The goal is to lose weight, not gain. My GP is going to receive the mother of all looks when I next see her, a look that says "THANKS FOR NOT TELLING ME ABOUT THE WEIGHT GAIN, DOCTOR UNINFORMATIVE!" Seconds later, I'll flip her table like something from Real Housewives of New Jersey!
  • Posted

I gained 20lbs in the first year then stabilized. Then I lost all of the weight by going on a strict diet and exercise regime. But it was very hard, counting every calorie I ate and drunk and working out on the cross trainer every day. I discovered that I had to eat 400 calories less for the same amount of exercise as when I wasn't on mirt. I've recently come off it (after 4 years) and now I can eat what I used to eat and not put on weight. The best way with mirt is not to have fattening food in the house, full stop. It's the only thing that works.
    • Posted

I think that's what I am going to do, too, Evergreen. If it's not in the house, then I can't eat it. I am desperate to go on a diet, and as great as Mirt is, I am not prepared to let it ruin that, haha.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.