Mirtazapine 'cold turkey' withdrawal hell advice needed please

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I was on 15mg of mirtazapine for 10 weeks, upped to 30mg for 2 weeks, started noticing some visual disturbances (seeing after images a lot, patterns vibrating, moving dots in the sky) so doctor said to go back down to 15mg for a week and then switch to 50mg of sertraline to see if the mirtazapine is the cause. Straight after going down to 15mg I started getting constant (every 10 seconds or so) muscle tremors through the night in random parts of the body which woke me and kept me awake. I told the doctor who didn't mention that it may be withdrawal and told to come off the mirtazapine after 4 nights and been on sertraline for 5 days. After reading, other peoples posts I read of the horrors of coming off these. My anxiety has spiked, having hot flashes, no appetite, nausea and headaches. Worst of all though I've had a full week of these muscle tremors which are really scaring me now and causing no sleep. Phoned 111 yesterday and the doctor said its withdrawal and will last about a week(!?) and prescribed 4 lorazepam to give me some sleep and told to go down to 25mg Sertraline. I'm wondering now though whether I should go back on the mirtazapine again instead maybe in a smaller dose and taper down?? I'm really worried about what is happening in my head/body and what damage may be being done :-(  has anyone else experienced such constant tremors coming off? Have been reading about people saying to reinstate, have I been off them too long to go back on and should I just stick it out from here?? I didn't want to go on antidepressants  in the first place but gave in to the pressure - really wish I'd never taken the things now  :-( 

Any help/advice much appreciated

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How long have you been off?
    • Posted

if you've only been off 5 days then that's not really a long time at all... reinstate.

• Posted

Thanks Jeffy, what dose would you go back on??
    • Posted

I don't like giving that kind of advice.

I would try 7.5mg though, but that is me.

• Posted

I would try to hang on a few more days though since you haven't been off for long.

• Posted

I've read so many horror stories since about people who went cold turkey and these muscle twitches/tremors seem to be getting worse if anything so is a bit scary. I've spoken to the doctor since who doesnt think it's a withdrawal symptom but said I could go back on 15mg if I wanted. I really don't know what to do for the best :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.