mirtazapine exhaustion how long does this last??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there im new to this site so im unsure what to write so I hope im doing it right lol!!

I have just started mirtazapine last night (15mg) and my husband let me lie in tilll 12.30pm this afternoon. Its now 3.15pm and I still feel like a zombie. Prior to the mirtazapine I was taking sertraline 100mg everyday which was not working at all and I was on this for approx 6month. Prior to that also I was on fluoxitine for about 5yr which worked ok untill about 7mth ago then my symptoms started to worsen and I was changed to the sertraline which like I say were rubbish. Im a bit worried as the mirtazapine have great reviews and I am keen to stick with them but as a mother of 3 young children t(aged 5 3 & 2) this first day has been horrendous!! How long will it take for the zombie like tiredness to wear off and how long into the medication will this reduce? I feel like I could sleep for day's now. Many thabks in advance : )

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Mirtazapine can make people quite sleepy. I was prescribed it for insomnia / depression and took it at 9pm every night. The next day I was foggy for about an hour after I woke up but this wore off quite quickly for me. I think it was a week.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Mirtazapine does that to you. It won't get any better - you will either have to put up with it or come off it; you may even have more side effects to look forward to. Obviously people's experiences are subjective but I spent 5 1/2 years on that medication and of those 5 1/2 years I spent most of it trying to get off. Helps remarkably with the sleep; destroyed every other part of me, however.

I mean to ask, what other therapies have you tried aside from medication?

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Mertazapine are an Anti- Depressant, but are also used as a sleeping tablet ,particularly with people with Depression.i find if I take it too late at night I will feel tired the next day. Also, if you try to

Just stop them suddenly after taking them for a while, they can cause horrible withdrawal symptoms, I was taken off if it when I had my tablets changed, and felt dreadful, and had to get my doctor to put me back on them. 

I now take them with Cybalta, and they work well. I guess it's just finding out which works for you. Good luck Laura 

• Posted

I just started taking it after trying another one unsuccessfully (side effects were just intolerable). Took it at 20:30 and slept until  11:40, only then because someone dropped something upstairs. Spent a couple of hours with coffee trying to wake up, didn't work so tried getting some fresh air and basically lost control of my arms and legs, basically I feel like I am detached from my body, controlling it from about 5 feet behind myself. Not sure what to now with meds, is it worth just doing cbt without meds, or do you just have to play this constant side-effects bingo?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.