Mirtazapine hasn't worked - can I come off it suddenly?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, so I switched from citalopram to mirtazapine back in February and started on 15mg.  This did nothing for my depression so it was eventually upped to 30mg.  Finally, it was upped to 45mg at the beginning of April, but I have literally got no benefit out of it; in fact, since it makes me tired all the time, if anything I think I'm more depressed.  I have uni exams next week and really don't want to be this drowsy for them.  Since I've not benefited at all from mirtazapine, do you think it's OK to come off them suddenly?  Or should I go back down to 30 or 15mg for a few days?  I know it's probably unwise to come off them suddenly but since my mood hasn't improved since I've been on them, I'm wondering if I'll experience any difference if I come off them suddenly or slowly.  Thanks for reading x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

My advice is to come off them slowly, the withdrawal affects are terrible for this drug.

I have been on 45mg for just over a year, I have just started withdrawing last week, I am trying to come down off them 5mg at a time listing the dose by 5 each week.

I start 35mg tomorrow, I am happy to give daily updates on my progress if anyone is interested.

How I can achieve my goal with minimal side affects, only God knows if I will.

Fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi Penguin and Matthew

WOW, hang on you cannot suddenly stop Mirtazapine - the steady way is supposed to be 10% every 3 weeks.  Withdrawal is terrible if you stop too soon - there is a method called the CITA Protocol which is supposed to be best - you can download it from Amazon.

Also you can look at other discussions on this forum re Withdrawal from Mirt.

Penguin fatigue is one of the worst side effects of this drug and we all suffer with it although after several month, for me, I have to say I do have better days now.  Hope this helps - good luck and best wishes to you both.

• Posted

I have this as a screen saver on my phone Ada remember beer when I'm having a bad day.

I know your climbing a mountain write now, but imagine the view when you get to the top.

Hope this helps

It does for me

• Posted

Hi Matthew, I'd more than happy to hear how you're getting on, I'd love to see you through this with the minimal struggles, do keep us posted on how you're doing, thoughts with you x
    • Posted

Hi brandy

Thanks so much for your kind words and support.

I bought my self a digital scales, the kind you can weigh golf and tablets etc.

Tomorrow will be my 1st full week on 40mg after previously being on 45mg for the last year.

Have not noticed any difference on the 40mg I still feel foggy and tired like I have done for the last year, my anxiety has been a little lesser the last 2 days, not sure if it's just a good couple of days for anxiety or if it's being on a slightly lower dose.

I've always felt that 45mg is too high for me and increased my anxiety. Couldn't swear by it, but that's what I feel.

I will be starting 35mg tomorrow, so hopefully fingers crossed that I feel ok.

Hate the bad days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.