Mirtazapine increase

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I've been on mirtazapine 30mg for about 5 months and a fortnight ago I was increased by my GP to 45mg, I've been ok till Tuesday and since then I've had numerous panic attacks and after seeing my GP yesterday who prescribed diazepam I'm now wondering if the increase of mirtazapine is the reason. My mouth is watering a lot and my tummy is churning continuously. I'm now waiting for a call from the GP surgery to see if I can cut my tablets in half. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hello, your dose increase is likely to be too high. 30mg to 45mg is very large, when you consider 30mg is 67% of the maximum dose, and 45mg is 100%. you van split the tablet in half, to give yourself 37.5mg. that increase will be easier to deal with. wait until you are fully settled om 37.5 before going up again. the smaller the increase, the easier it is to get over the initial increase in anxiety, thats comes from imcreasing. depends on the imdividual, some are okay with larger ones, most find it difficult. also,v37.5mg may turn out to be a better dose, and 45mg may ultimayely be too high.

• Posted

If I split the tablet will it not be 22.5 or was the 37.5 in error. Would it take about 2-3 weeks for the effects to show? I can't think of any other reason for my panic attacks and a continuously nervous tummy

• Posted

sorry, my fault, thought you had 30mg and 15mg tablets, for some reason. like sarah said, a lot of people find 45mg too activating. ask your gp to go to 37.5mg first. stay on that for a minimum of 4 weeks, to see how you are doing.

• Posted

Hi, I myself felt a lot better on the lower dose, a lot of people have said the same thing? It's strange really that doctors put us on a higher dose as in my opinion it creates anxiety.

I am now down to 7.5mg and still feel anxious at times, but sleeping better. I think that we are all different and we have to be aware of how we feel, inform GP, and let him/her know and hopefully get it resolved, good luck.

• Posted

hi i was put on 30 mg from 15 mg and it made my anxiety worse. i dropped down to 15 mg again and got propanol to help the anxiety,( which really helps the symptoms) and pregablin for anxiety also. This was brilliant! So the increase in dose is likely the cause of what u r experiencing.

• Posted

i took 15mg of mirtazipine for 6 months, i thought it really helped my depression and anxiety, it did make me drowsy and sleep better, only thing i gained a tonn of weight in a very short time even tho im fit and active, shes now put me on trazadone 50g, the hangover in the morning is awful, and they kinda knock you out.

good luck 🍀 with lowering your dose

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.