Mirtazapine isn't working anymore

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i've been on Mirtaapine for around 2 years now (45mg), which had really helped with my Anxiety/Depression. However since around March 2009 whenever I've took Mirtazapine I feel really really itchy, and my legs really tingle, and I feel agitated in my head. I'm now finding it impossible to sleep (unlike when I first took Mirtazapine), and last night I must have had at least three hours sleep, if that!. Another thing is the Nightmares, that are now horendous, and feel real. I wake up, and I see a figure, or sometimes an animal running across the floor, then they vanish!. I sometimes even wake up with a voice shouting in my ear.

On top of all that I don't actually feel real anymoe. I now this may sound strange, but everything seems like a dream, and i'm having to pinch myself constantly to know i'm awake!. Last night I even questioned wether I was actually in a dream, and that life was a dream, and nothing was real!. I am feeling really freaked out at the moment, with all these stupid thoughts coming into my head!. I've tried coming down to 30mg of Mirtazapine, but I just got really depressed again. Can anyone suggest what I should do?>

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joe, I had been on Mirt for years I have decreased very slowly and have now been off of them for three weeks I don’t feel great but I am coping, mornings seem much better even though I wake early about 5:30 but I can stay in bed and drift in and out of sleep without the awful dreams I had with Mirt, I still have anxiety but will continue to try stay off of these awful drugs, My advice to you is to persevere and cut down slowly, I was on a Quarter of a tab for over a month at the end, then get off them as it sound to me that it is the Mirt causing your problems as I experience most of what you describe at one time or another.

It has taken me five years to get from absolute terror to where I am now, part of my problem was that I thought I would never feel real again, but I am nearly there and so can you be with time.

Get your doctor to give you some tomozapam for the nights you are desperate for sleep, the 10mg would knock out a horse I used them in the early days and had no side effects at all.

• Posted

Thanks Colin. I'm just really scared about coming off Anti-depressants, asi've been on them for around 5 years, but know that they just arne't working anymore. Had another horrible night, with about 3 hours sleep, full of nightmares. I'll mention it to my GP the next time I see her.
  • Posted

Hi I've been taking mirt for almost a month now after weaning off seroxat. I'm having vivid dreams banging in my head and have an extreme appetite. I still feel really bad and am so agitated most of the time I'm struggling to hold it all together. I'm taking 30mg and I'm not sure it's working. You are not alone my friend I know I need medication and hopefully when I see doc next week she will help. Hang in there like I'm doing. It's a constant struggle every day I know. I hope you feel better soon depression is so debilitating. Love Mandy xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.