mirtazapine nightmare..so fed up and no idea what to do

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey folks where do I begin.. Been checking out the forum the past few months while I've been trying to get off this awful little tablet.

Basically suffered anixty from a young age now 32. Started getting ocd negative thoughts over a year ago. It scared been at first it was all my worst fears playing tricks with me. So docs put me on mirtazapine as i really don't like taking any meds, I take the odd pain killer but other than that I try not to take anything. I especially didn't want to take AD. But with pressure from folk around me and docs recommend advice they suggested it was best I try mirtazapine as I suffer from anxiety disorder. It was causing me to not want to go out to certain places etc.. Anyway its been over a year now and by far the worst of my life. I only started on 15mg as it blew my hair off, litterly couldn't function and ended up bed bound due to feeling so all over. Anyway after a couple of weeks it eased and I started getting out more and felt more positive maybe it's placebo Effect, no idea it's all just been a blur. I suffer from a vertigo( balance disorder) it pops up now and again so I know sometimes I have to rest, but it's the worst thing when your an over thinker. Anyway I've been back and forth to the docs and getting no where, some say up the mirtazapine some say they think am best off not being on Ad. I'm currently waiting for my Cbt. I've tried since Dec to reduce off these awful tablets as I'm convinced they are not doing anything other than making me crave foods at night and sleep qnd have weird dreams. I wake up feeling so hung iver

0 likes, 134 replies

134 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi there.i was prescribed mitarzipine.it did not agree with me at all.so i stopped it after about 2wks.glad i did.think there are some people who ad help alot.i seem to be one of those that seem to have adverse effects to any chemicals in my system.i dont ask for ads anymore as they make things worse for me not better.but as i said they help many many people live normal lives.so ll the best to you bill
    • Posted

Hey bill, I'm just not sure if it's helping me of not haha.I think it has made me more anxouis of the year that I've been taking it due to the side effects. They seem to stress me out more then my original anxity and ocd thoughts. It has make my morning anxity a little better and no crazy adrenaline rushes what i was getting from reduction. I feel spacey and in my own world on it and it just makes me tired groggy and low motivatioN. I've had a bjt nausea this week and upset stomach qnd dizzyness with a mild head ache. I know it's most likely from upping Mr dose. But i just feel all these side effects male me more anxious and find it hard to plod on when feeling so lowsy. I'm hoping it settles in a couple of weeks then I can see where I'm at. I regret ever letting the dam things enter my mouth. but I have and I can't do much about it now as u i aint got the strength to get off them after keep failing. 3 months hard work all wasted and I feel I can't go any slower as it seems am sensitive to them. I am thinking if they do not improve things in say a month or so maybe Im best trying to take the serts and try the tapper thing and hope they hekp. Am pretty scared to try taper and have two types of drugs in my system at one time but I can't see much other options. Docs don't seem to listen and no help at all Im hoping cbt might know more about these things. Least am only taking a low dose thankfully and worse case I will have to ween down 1mg a month haha.

Thanks for ur input :-)

• Posted

Hi Shez, hope your having a chilled evening, ive had another toughish day with my head, i am a little better than yesterday but still struggling. I am trying to stay on the 30 dose for a month to see if things improve but i have to say its really tough going. At least if i can make it i can go doctors and say i still feel awful, wishing the days away a bit to get out of the tunnel
    • Posted

Yup I'm the same lad. I'm going to hold out a month on this 15 and if no improvement I'm demanding some answers and other options. I'm figthing the battle too each day. I'm strong inside but I feel weak from the effects of these tabelts. The side effects are not good for people figthing a battle with anxity as it is. I've had a average dAY again. But less morning anxity and adrenaline rushes. So that's helping me get up and about a little. I'm going very easy tbo and resting as much as my body needs at mo. It's important we Listen to what we need as we know best I guess. I feel I can be positive until I get a side effect then am questioning things. We sure have got it tough but we have got to keep plodding on as it's a test of strength for u and will make us stronger in the end. Keep pushing lad :-)
    • Posted

Your right about pushing on, i treated myself to a new car today, this evening i am thinking how i want to get out in it tomorrow, but i know when i wake up with the horrible cloud that will put a damper on it. I have been getting a tight throat feeling for a while that the dr says is anxiety, it does affect my breathing but is uncomfortable, never had it before so just something else to contend with, wishing you well girl, are you in the uk like me?
    • Posted

Yeah am from the UK. North east lass..

Oh that's great a love cars haha I would be up all night with excitement.

Well the weather is starting to improve so that's more positive for us all. Winter sucks..

Yeah I've noticed I get a weird breathing when I'm out and anxouis mainly sitting down q feel like I need to stand up to get a full breath it's weird it only happens when I start anxious breathing. It makes me a little uneasy going out.

I'm so sick of all these anxity symptoms that I didn't even know there was.

I am so fed up as i feel good during the day amazing at ngt and then take my tablet go calm hungry and wide awake till 3 ish every ngt and then wake up confused where I am no idea what's going on, sluggish foggy headed, feel like I have cold and flu, head ache dry mouth and morning anxity. Worrying about trying to complete my Day. It's actually draining. Today I feel all sniffles and flu like so I've cancelled with friends for trying to get out a little.

I litterly have no idea if it's my anxity or the tabelts. I just feel tired and sleepy until the evening every day. I woke up with a ring in my ear today and my face burning up and glowing and horrid head ache. Going to try drink a lot of water. I'm getting to the point were I feel these tabelts are causing more hassle then they are worth. One lady on here said right a list of the pros and cons. I don't think I have any pros apart from knocking me out to sleep for 10 hours and reducing the adrenaline that I know feel. Never had any adrenaline problem until I took these.

Oh gosh today already feels like a challenge but I guess everyday is qnd we still push on.

Why not go sit and play in your new motor and get a feel for it qnd then try local drive in it. Then go from there. Listen to body at the moment while upping dose etc thsts whqt am doing. Hope you manage to get out tho

Shez

• Posted

Hope youve had a good day Shez, ive had a resonable day head wise, but had a tight throat all day, never seems to get a day symptom free, but it i did i suppose i would be cured, still onwards and upwards
    • Posted

Keep going hopefully it gets less and less. My days average too. Groggy flu feeling just ain't left today it's so annoying.. I Had to push hard at times. Been doing positive reading it seems to help. I have a nasty head ache today lingering. Grhh! But trying to plod on as no doubt it's from these tablets ha. Yes I get different symptoms pop up differnt days. So strange. But so stupid top..But i defo feel positive reading is good as it helps u try reduce the negative vibes. plenty links on Google.
    • Posted

Hey Shez, Hope youve had a good day, my day has been ok today, maybe a tiny bit better than i have been, just hoping each day gets better and symptom free,
    • Posted

Hey Craig I've been plodding along..oh I weird mood swings past few nights

.like anger brewing up and snappy.

I feel its like frustrating at me self a think.. But I'm Keeping busy and hammering positive reading ha. Seems to lift Me and start looking at the positives in life. Mornings are groggy still and a challenge but I guess life ain't easy ha. Glad your doing little better keep building on it. Keep being positive and keep telling your self you will be ok and are normal and just keep thinking of the small enjoyable thjngs. We can do it

:-)

• Posted

Hey Craig how u doing?

I've been less anxouis latly but lngt had an awful adrenaline anxity attack before bed. I thought my life was done for it was awful. My heart was beating through my chest, shakes and burning up. Thoughts all over.. It was Awful. Woke up normal self but lngt is playing on my mind. I've also felt fluey and groggy. Not sure if it's these tablets or anxity but it's annoying. Wake up like crap everyday. Hope your doing better

• Posted

Hey Shez, as i havent heard from you in a little while i thought you might be doing well. So sorry to hear that you had a panic attack last night, ive had my share of them and they are dredful. I've been waking up pretty groggy every morning and still getting anxiety moments through the day, i keep telling myself that as time goes on i will get better. My biggest problem seems to be the tightness in my throat which feels like it affects my breathing and i feel it alot when im trying to eat.Apparently it takes 4-6 weeks for any new dose to have a proper effect so i'm just starting week 3 and hoping its early days.If i'm honest i have had a couple moments over the last week where i've felt completly normal as if the depression and anxiety has gone, and boy did i feel great, unfortunately it doesnt last and the dredded symptoms soon return. I just hoping one day i wake and its all gone and i can shout hurray. Keep going on your dose and see how you go, you might find in a few weeks if things arent resolving that you need to go upto 30 like me, all the best
    • Posted

Hey Craig glad your still pushing on too. I've had a better and calmer couple of days. So I'm stil ploughing on. I do constantly feel groggy and fluey every morning it's horrible. It's hard to get motivated feeling so crappy and no energy. Head aches keep popping up and my ibs is still unsettled since upping things. I do feel more in control and stuff so I guess it's better to feel groggy every day then an anxious wreck ha. I hope your throat issue goes, I've read before that some tablets can cause throat and nasal issues. Past week I've had a feeling like my wind pipes clogged up, but I think it might be from my ibs just it feels high up my wind pipe. Just ignored it and plodding on. Sleep pattern ain't too good for me lately csnt seem to settle at night feel wide awake till early hours. Trying to work on changing this hopefully over time I will get better at sleeping earlier. guess we still need to keep plodding on. I'm still not convinced I want to take these much longer if this groggyness is this bad in a couple weeks I might have to try a different type aa I'm struggling to get up and even do a little exercise and my daily routine is hard work. For now I'm rebuilding things that I can for now ha hope your doing ok keep going too
    • Posted

Oh and I often feel perfectly fine every ngt. totally my nornal self. Then I sleep and wake up awful and differnt mind set

Weird haha

• Posted

Same with me when my depression/ anxiety was bad. Didn't want the evening to end because that was when I felt relatively normal, and didn't want to go to bed and sleep because I knew how all the symptoms would come flooding back as I woke up. It did slowly ease off, when I kept on taking the tablets.
    • Posted

Yeah it's so annoying ha. Lngt I felt amazing then, I've had very little sleep lngt and sold up awful. Feel an anxious wreck, but the weather was loud and kept me awake so it's not helped. I had no idea lack of sleep could make us feel so lowsy. I feel the morning anxity is easing a little as I'm also seeing it for what it is and just keeping my mind occupied. Today's a struggle but due to lack of sleep I guess. Got to keep just plodding on all of us and hope in time we keep getting stronger. Thanks for your reply :-)
    • Posted

Hey Shez, nice to hear the anxiety is easing a little for you. I took along time ago used to feel great in the evenings then go bed and wake up rough. I have had a lousy day today, waves of anxiety all day, and then a bit of a panic around tea time. Really fed up at the minute and can't change my mindset that these tablets are making me feel like this. I never wake up feeling depressed, just really rough and the day is hard to get through. Going to take a slighly lower dose tonight of 22.5 and just see if i feel any different tomorrow, wish me luck, wishing you all the best as always
    • Posted

Oh I have had a rough day too, didn't do anything just feel tired,groggy,sick, foggy headed and zero motivation to do anything. Everything is taking mega effort for some reason. I'm sick of it me self. I had zero sleep lngt. My ssleeping pattern is awol and then I'm zonked out for 10-12 HOurs..I don't wake up with as much anxity just numb groggy and confused. The food cravings are out of hand too. I have no idea what's doing what too. Theee things might be taking away the morning anxity but then I've got to try fight my way out of bed I just have zero energy.it's not like me to be like tbis so I have allsorts of thoughts going around my head. Still get mild adrenaline rushes and zaps. Head aches don't help either. Not sure i want to carry on feeling so groggy and drowsy if am honest. Worst thing ever trying these thjngs as i feel Al never have the stength to stop them. I tried to up once and it blew my face off so I will Not up only try get off them somehow haha. IM scared to try anything else esp while these things are in mw me system system. Gosh what can we do haha. my moods pretty low past few months it wasn't before I started theM. I'm ususually bubbly full of energy and happy haha I don't even know me Own self anymore if am honest. I hope ghe 22.5 helps u in some way to get some stength togther and push on. Guess it's still about taking tjme. it's hard to keep positive when u feel so I'll and groggy everyday. Not sure what the best option Is. These are clearly not doing much for us. I hope in time we both find some strength and win tbis battle. Keep strong for now and keep pushing and be thankful for the small things at the moment :_)
    • Posted

Oh well I didn't sleep much again last night for some reason. Woke up slightly anxious but plodded on and now I've had like muscle spasms and random twitches in my muscles :-/ not sure why. But it's freaking me out. It's like a little spasm or jerk in my jaw or head legs or arms Every so often. Happening loads today out the blu? It's really making my head think all sorts. Not sure if it's the tablets or anxity or something but it's making me scared and I don't feel like leaving me room today :-( I feel uneasy from it tho. I had it once last year when I changed my tablet dose it lasted weeks but when away, but today it's came back for some reason? Like nervous twitches I think. gosh what a life.. I feel like am in a dream world today nothing feels real since I've woke up. I swear am fine until I take these Dam tablets. I've had adrenaline rushes today too,mild but annoying. These tablets are meant to help but I feel they are making thjngs harder. Really regret ever trying them honestly at my witts end with things. How's u? Hope ur ok Lad
    • Posted

Hey Shez, another day of the same for me i'm afraid, lots of anxiety waves throughtout the day, i feel i cant old a conversation with anyone for long before starting to feel really anxious like i'm going to be ill. Wake up groggy and just try to get on with the day, avoiding contact with people if i can so the anxiety cant cut in. Didnt drop the dose in the end as I have been told it takes 4-6 weeks for the dose increase to have an effect, so trying to hold out till then. Can't believe what im going through really, still feel quite good in the evenings, but then shut my eyes and wake to the dred. Think we need to just keep going and see if things settle for us. Surely this cant be it for us, nah we will beat it, it will be nice to speak to you and have a normal conversation,not a negative one ha take care
    • Posted

I know what u mean I get like nervous around people qnd also Noises. Seems like my body is sensitive to thingS. Some days I shut the world out as i feel too anxious to talk to people and I feel they notice as i have a nervous habit of rubbing my eyes for some reason. I know am doing it just one of those things ha.they say it's best to try to carry on as normal as possible as u get used to things as it helps with any habits developed.

Yeah I dread mornings. Sometimes I don't want to take my tabelt, Infact most nights I don't want to..haha I hate the feeling it's awful and I hope it goes away for us soon

Keep trying to think positive and remember it's all temp and in time we will get stronger and be ok. Lots of people get through it so we can. Keep strong for now

• Posted

Really rough day for me today :-/ couldn't sleep again head just races random things, not negative just ideas and stuff. Then I had adrenaline rushes and zaps but managed some sleep. Woke up nervous and anxouis and dreading day a head. Constant adrenaline feel like body's going to explode with Everything today. Having anxity attack feels like my check closing up and hard to breath. Trying to stay calm and do my diapramic breathing I'm learning at mo. My minds racing with lots of thoughts And in I'm shaking. Won't be leaving me room today like this. I feel like crap too and lots of heart palps. Trying to see it all as anxitey but it's so hard when I get worked up like this. Effects your mood so much. I keep thinking it's only temp it will go away. I dont see the point in taking these mirt as it's clearly not doing much. I feel awful. I am out of ideas. Sp glad that you understand what these things are like as it seems they ain't helping us both but no one listens and blames anxity. I keep waking up late at night angry and frustrated wanting to vent. It's not like me at all. Am so worried about it being these tablets I almost didn't take one lngt just to see how i am but I dread to attempt it after the reduction as even going down 2mg knocked me off. I really hope your day is better then mine as i really feel for u. Gosh I'm choking up writing this wishing I could fix us both ha. Anyway my moto latly is every dark day, wakes up with a bright sunrise. So hopefully it's a new day soon for us lad. Chow for now
    • Posted

Hi Shez, is there a way we can pm each other so everyone doesnt have to see the hell we are going through ( then again might help others) My heart goes out to you with the way you are feeling, i have been there and its awful. I have had the same sort of day today, waves of anxiety and when i talk to someone outside the family i feel im gonna cave in and theyll wonder what the hells wrong with me. I used to get an email when you replied but they have stopped so i just keep checking in the evenings. I wish i could do more to help you girl, but maybe talking like this is doing exactly that. I was talking to my son today who worries about me and we had a good yap. I am going to try something tonight, whereby i'm not going to take my tablet and see how i wake up tomorrow, like my son said the doctors have told me that missing one tablet shouldnt have any impact as they dont work like that. So i want to see if i feel any different, and like my son said whats the worse that can happen, if you feel that bad just take the dose tomorrow.I will let you know how i get on. I have been reading up alot about the illness and apparently if you suffer a anxiety attack or panic the best way to get rid of it is to go for a walk. Apparently as soon as you start walking the brain sends out signals to relax the muscles and these same signal take away the adrenalin flowing into your blood stream. Scientifically proven apparently, i have tried it when anxiety strikes and it does work, so maybe worth a try for you. Will write soon but in the meantime stay positve and remember the feelings you have arent dangerous just uncomfortable
    • Posted

Hey Craig yeah I shall inbox you instead to save the world seeing our struggle haha
    • Posted

Not sure how to Pm. If u know send me a message haha
    • Posted

Hi shez32 and craig2828. If you are logged into the site (which presumably you are since you are posting) you will see an Envelope icon at the top right hand corner of each person's post. If you click on this, you can send a personal message to that person. Once you've done this you can then continue the dialogue by "replying" to the message you've been sent.

I hope that helps!

Wishing you all the best, Pixie.

• Posted

Hi Pixie for the life of me i cant see the envelope you are referring to
    • Posted

Hey pixie thanks so much, I can see a message near you icon but Not on craigs?
    • Posted

i have gone in to my settings and ticking allow private messaging
    • Posted

Hahaha I csnt either. It let's me see the message icon on some but not all. Cant see one for u. Anyway for now until we sort it out I hope u feeling better and let me know how u go tomo without ur tabelt. Guess it's worth triailing to see how u are for one daY. I feel little more chilled tonight but we shall see. Yesh exercise even walking is amazing for the body and mind. I have a degree in sports and exercise haha. I'm Trying to sort my diet out and eating better too. Hope u are ok and keep me Posted stay strong for now :-)
    • Posted

Hi Craig! Did you click on "save private settings" underneath the "Privacy settings" section? That might be the problem?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.