Mirtazapine not seeming to work trying to decide whether to stop or not

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been taking Mirtazapine for the last 6 months after having had a bad (but short) experience with Citalopram.  For the first 4 and a half months or so was on 15mg and this seemed to be helping initially with the anxiety, although didn't seem to help that much with my get up and go/motivation.  Then it seemed to stop working and at doctors suggestion put it up to 30mg for about 2-3 weeks which didn't seem to help and then up again to 45mg where I've been for the last 2 and a half weeks or so.  It doesn't seem to be working for me, everytime I raise the dose I get a brief 3-4 day period where things get better and then it seems to fall back down again.  

It certainly helps me get to sleep but I'm not convinced it's helping my anxiety just maybe slightly sedating it.  I've also started feeling very down the last few days although wonder if that could just be from the furstration of not feeling better.  I'm tempted to wean myself of them.  I know they take a while to work but have been on 30mg or higher for 4-5 weeks now and can't say I feel any better.  I could cope with the tablets making me feel tired if I didn't have the anxiety as well.

Would be interested in hearing if anyone had a similar experience with Mirtazapine and if they did what did they do and what was the result?

Thanks in advance for any replies

0 likes, 32 replies

Report / Delete

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mirtazapine seems a very inconsistent drug by what I have read on here. I went up to 45mg but down to 30mg now. I'm also on another AD. I want to come off mirtz if I can. It's awful to think your getting better then the depression comes back. I was put on it for sleep and appetite.  It helps me sleep but still no appetite!  
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Kat. I find it helps with both my sleep and appetite but just not convinced it does anything for the anxiety other than slightly sedate it. I agree it's very furstrating though, everytime it feels like it might be about to work when upping tjhe dose it all just comes crashing back down (for me anyway).
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Have read them and it does seem to be a drug which gets varied responses. I didn't read anthing which exactly chimed with my experience so I thought I'd just ask the question. Like you I can't help wondering at the moment that I might be better off Mirtazapine.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know what you mean. Do you feel that you still need to take something for your depression/anxiety? If you do then go back to your doctor and what they say. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

If you check the internet you will find a big chunk of people, not all but a big chunk of people on mirtazapine had nasty side effects, it didnt work, made things worse.  There are the odd few who think mirtazapine is helping them but they are very few and the ones who do say it helps them seem a bit naieve.  Mirtazapine imo shouldnt be prescribed at all and is a nasty ass drug.  They say its not addictive yet you have to "wean" off it.  Its not addictive yet if you just quit cold turkey you may get massive withdrawal symptoms. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Maybe a lot of people who it works for don't post on this site. Only those of us who are searching for help come here. 

I have been battling with depression after a break up a whole five years ago. I've tried all sorts of counseling and therapies, entered several relationships (which have never helped as I've been totally unable to move on). The depression was so bad it prevented me from going into my new career change as a teacher.

I think it was early 2012 when I gave 15 mg Mirtazipine a go, I was in a hopeless state, but they worked. It was almost magic, I no longer thought of her. I stayed on them until last summer as I was feeling back to my old pre beak up self.  I was in a positive new relationship and all seemed good, so I came off them.  The relationship didn't last and we broke up, not much later I began to feel down and by the autumn I began to think of the ancient ex I deeply loved again. I had lost touch years ago but when I was weak and did a bad thing and googled her name, only to find out wedding plans on Pinterest. This made me pretty I'll again, so I tried CBT on the NHS but like all of the other therapies it didn't seem to help. I eventually went back to the doctor and, six weeks ago went back on 15mg.

Six weeks on and I'm still not feeling improvements, I might have to go to the GP and up the dose. I seem to remember it could have been longer than a month last time.

But what I wanted to say that this drug CAN work, last time I felt it saved my life.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Very true, I do think sometimes whats posted on the web does tend to have a negative bias due to the reasons you said.  However for me I think sadly I've had to take the decision that Mirt doesn't seem to be working for me.  I stuck it out on the 45mg dose for 4 weeks but at the end of those 4 weeks I felt worse than ever, really depressed (and originally I wasn't depressed just suffering anxiety).  I think having been on them for 6-7 months and reached the top level dose which still doesn't seem to be working it's time to come off them.

Have to admit to being a bit scared as to what's going to happen but for the last 2 days have cut down from 45mg to 37.5mg and after a week of that I'll try and go down to 30mg (slowly does it).

I hope Mirtazapine works for you again and wish you all the best but sadly for me I don't think it's worked and apart from the getting me to sleep wonder if it's actually making things worse.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Julie, thank you that;s very kind.  MIND actually have some really good pages on withdrawing from medications giving half lifes of all the major drugs and advice on how to tell if something is a withdrawal symptom or your anxiety/depression recurring.

Interesting as well that they advise against tapering by missing doses as it causes too much fluctuation in the amount of the drug in your body.

I kind of wish I was tapering off from a position of feeling better as I think it would make it easier to spot problems but just feel like I've spent long enough flogging this horse and it's time to accept it's not working.

As I say currently dropped from 45mg to 37.5 and will probably stay with that for a week and see how it goes.  In mind i;ve got a timetable of dropping from 45mg to 37.5 to 30 to 22.5 to 15 to 7.5 to off with a week or so at each stage.  Does that sound achievable to you.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi i dropped from 30mg to 20mg in a week then down to 15mg isnt easy then i tapered over to sertraline and felt like i had flu for a few days but wasnt to bad.. i feel better on sertraline many be you could try that x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Out of interest had you tried any other SSRIs before Sertraline.  Tried Citalopram back at Xmas last year and had a horrendous 11 days or so before had to stop it.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up