mirtazapine not working after 2 weeks on15mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ive been on 15mg for 2.5 weeks, it kicked in after 7 days with a radical mood improvement( no  negative thoughts worry etc) this lasted a week now I a starting to feel depressed again, is this normal? thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Has your doctor told you they plan to increase the dosage at any point? It was a good pill for me 12 years ago. I started on 15mg and then was put up to 30mg which i remained on for a couple of years. Its possible that things may have leveled out for you and the dosage is not enough?
  • Posted

Hi, the dr just said to take 15mg?  a year before when I was prescribes these the dr said start at 15 and increase to 30 after 2 weeks? im just wondering ifi should give it a month on15mg first or just up it to 30mg?
  • Posted

I think you may be right to wait a month to see if 15 mg is enough for you.  Mirt' is a very strong med and it would be a shame to go up if no need ... also I have read of some folk whose anxiety is made worse going up to 30mg, best to have the full picture I guess.

• Posted

Can i ask long you were on them before?
  • Posted

I only took 1 tablet and was scared off by the next day drowsiness. I feel like they have helped my anxiety and increased my confidence this time around. My mood was very good or a week but now im halfway back to the depressed me again
  • Posted

Hi mike:  it usually take Mirt up to a month before the beneficial effects are felt but you will prob. got thru some of the starting side effects.  I've been on it for over 20 years and switch from 15 to 30 mgs depending on what I need.  At 15 mgs it helps me sleep, on 30 mgs. it helps with depression (at least that how my body reacts to it).

Give it another week and see how you feel.  If the depression continues, call doc. he/she might want you to increase to help with depression or maybe try a different med.   Don't panic.

• Posted

thanks frazzle!! that sounds like a good plan!
  • Posted

I took the 15mg for about a month and it felt like it helped at the start but I quickly felt terrible again, had it increased to 30mg and I took that for a few weeks with no success. Got onto the 45mg and it was and is great. I have almost zero anxiety now.

Don't be afraid to have your dose adjusted.

• Posted

Hi Emma, I increased the dose to 22.5mg for the last week and I am feeling quite depressed again? it seems strange that I has a period between day 7 and about day 12 of feeling great then back to depressed again. How long after the dose increase did you start feeling better again?
  • Posted

Hi Mike,

Honestly, within a few days of taking the increased dose I started to feel great again. 

Perhaps your body may still be adjusting to it and trying to stabilise? 

When I first took mirt a few years ago and started on the 15mg, at first I thought it was working. Then it sort of decreased to the point where it wasn't working at all, same with the 30mg until I tried to 45mg and I've had no issues.

• Posted

Mike apologies if i missed something but why are you taking 22.5mg that must cause you hassle splitting pills the prescribed levels are 15mg 30mg and 45mg , is it that your trying to build a tolerence slowly?
  • Posted

Hi cuffy, I was trying to take  oest dose o fix my depression

Ive be on 30mg for a week and still feel as depressed as before I started on mirt. My anxiety is better and I feel more confident but still depressed.

How long should I stay on 30mg before I up to 45??

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I think I took the 30mg for a few weeks and then I upped it to 45mg. Then it started to work very quickly for me.

But everyone is different.

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Thnks for the reply!  when I first upped the dosage from 7.5 to 15 after a week I had a radical improvement the next day. This only lasted about 5 days though. The further increase to 30 has had no effect so far after about 5 days. Those few days were great!!! I really had my hopes up with this medication sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.