Mirtazapine not working as well...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Guys you are all amazing and show such courage on here... I'm struggling badly and really need advice.. Paxil stopped working horrendous withdrawal symptoms.. Started mirtazapine 3 months ago...anxiety improved a bit... now it's coming back?? I don't know what to do... I worried I'm going completely mad...going back to see my gp but worried I will get fobbed off... I'm sinking again please any advice would be gratefully received anybody else have experience with this tablet?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know how you feel about the Paxil. The same thing happened to me back in July of 2015. I'm finally changing medications and going down by 5 milligrams every 2 weeks if possible because I have been on it for 15 years and Paxil withdrawal is the worst antidepressant to come off of. I'm at 45mg of Paxil, was doing 40, but I got so nauseous I couldn't even eat. I stay nauseous a lot in the morning. I'm on Prozac 10 mg and getting side effects from it like nausea, headaches and running to the bathroom occasionally. I have inner jitters and heart palpitations from the Paxil before I even tried to come off of it.
    • Posted

It's awful isn't it, I was on Paxil for 15 years and it stopped working so gp advised stopping them and going onto mirtazapine. I was feeling slightly better but coming down again fast.
    • Posted

What kind of effects did you have when your Paxil stopped working and for how long? I've not been on meds until last week because I didn't want to go on an antipsychotic. I went in the hospital last week and he is changing me from the Paxil to Prozac. I have to be careful what I take. I had a gene sight test done and Paxil was one of the meds on my list that my body didn't metabolize and so was Mirtazapine. I had it done in 2014 so that explained why I had so much trouble with Paxil off and on. Are you still titrating Paxil and how long did you titrate off of it! What mg are you on if you are still on Paxil? I personally don't care for Mirtazapine. I've seen a lot of people on this forum have trouble with it, but then there were a few who were on it a while. It depends on the person.
  • Posted

How long ago did you come off the Paxil and how fast?  Paxil is a beast to get off of and it is possible you are in protracted withdrawal that the mirtazapine can't hold up to.  Withdrawal anxiety and depression look like the real thing to doctors and paitents alike but are due to the imbalance caused by coming off the drug too quickly.  These symptoms can come on many months out from coming off.  More info is needed.
    • Posted

I came off Paxil 3months ago and started mirtazapine straight away, I felt a bit better but going downhill again.
    • Posted

You came off of Paxil without going on another antidepressant? How long did you wait to get on another antidepressant after you quit Paxil? I don't see how you did it.
    • Posted

They are very different drugs, work on different receptors, so the Mirt can't cover the withdrawal from Paxil.  I had this happen when I came off Effexor too fast.  Initially I didn't have withdrawal for several months, seemed to be fine except I noticed I was having problems with memory and concentration....the emotional fall-out didn't happen until months later.  I went on mirt because I couldn't eat or sleep.  Felt better initially but then not and so kept increasing the dose until at 37.5 mg I was so apathetic and agoraphobic, I couldn't get off the couch to eat, bathe, dress...My doctor put me back on Effexor because I tolerated it in the past, and within ONE HOUR I was feeling like the clouds were parting and the sun shining on me again, after 10 months off!   I was like a junkie getting a fix of the drug I was in withdrawal from!

I now know much more about withdrawal and reinstating, and for some people reinstating too big a dose can go paradoxical on them; I was lucky that it worked for me so far out.  For you the recommendation would be to start a tiny dose to test the waters, like 1 mg.

I know it may seem like why would you want to go back on the drug that had quit working for you.  Regardless of whether it was helping you, you are still in withdrawal from it and the only fix is the drug itself, so that in its own right will make you feel better.  You were ikely in poop out and needed to come off, but a tiny amount could fix the withdrawal you are having, temper it, without triggering the side effects or poop out effects.

Just a suggestion.  Of course, your doc would need to be in line with this.   Very few understand that these drugs cause remodeling of the brain which leaves you with protracted withdrawal when the drug isn't there anymore, and the imbalance takes a long time to correct itself because you need to "grow a new brain," so to speak, one that doesn't take Paxil into account.  This is why a very slow taper off these drugs is important, to allow the brain to make a more gradual adjustment to ever lessening amounts of drug.  It is not about getting the drug out of your system but the very fact that the drug ISN"T there that is causing the problems!

• Posted

I went through the same thing. A doctor told me to go off paxil cold turkey, so I did. Did fine until about a year later. I have since tried Zoloft, celexa, lexapro, buspar and mirtazapine. Nothing worked. Now my doctor told me to go back on paxil 5 mg. The first one I took I felt what you felt. Stayed on 5 mg for a week now at 10 mg. Now still having the start up symptoms. Praying it works.
    • Posted

I just wanted to say thank you it's a very lonely place to be in the midst of depression and anxiety knowing someone else has felt the same is such a help it really is. 
    • Posted

i hope you get some relief soon, can a drug that stopped working start working again then? I'm lost in the whole process? I don't know what to do for the best?
    • Posted

I'm hoping and praying it does. It didn't stop working. I broke out in hives so the doctor said it must be the paxil. This was 12 years after being on it. Well later found out I had hashimoto. Very common to get hives with that. So I stayed off the paxil and 18 months later that anxiety came back.
    • Posted

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, I wouldn't wish this feeling on anybody.
  • Posted

I leave mirtazapine 11 day use nothing change so that's I m back my old medicine tagratol now must bettermy advise mirtazapine is is to slow work and so many side afect

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.