Mirtazapine one month in. My first time on antideps

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I started a new thread because I didn’t want to impose on anybody else’s. It’s just been so helpful reading other’s experiences that I thought I’d add mine to add to the list- just in case it makes someone feel better in a ‘Me too! Me too!’ kind of way. Reading these threads has also made me recognise a few things that were going on in my body that I hadn’t initially put down to the tablets. (Just for the record, I’m a 21 year old female living in south England.)

So I’ve been on a small dose of Mirtazapine for over one month now, first half a 15 mg dose a day, and after one week I went up to one tablet of 15 mg a day. The initial going to the doctors part was the scariest: like others have said on these message boards, it IS embarrassing, (I personally kept bursting into tears in their offices for no good reason- it just felt like I was being told off, or looked down upon) and you feel like you’re wasting their time since there’s nothing physically wrong with you (or so I thought at the time…). I was just feeling sad, varying between getting stuck in a mood where I simply didn’t want to do anything except sleep forever, and screaming at myself in my head, really stupid, awful things (you know- the usual ‘just die, do it, just die you f***ing idiot, I don't know what to do I don't know what to do’) and I found myself hitting myself in the head area when I was in these moods- I got bruises under my chin and neck and had to lie about where they came from to people, which made me feel even more idiotic. Relations with people were getting strained, especially as whenever I drank alcohol I’d end up going very introverted and wanting to die. It felt like alcohol let me think clearly, and the clear thing to do was to just end it. I also lost dropped in weight to almost under 8 stone (I’m 5 ft 7) and couldn’t sleep.

But I now realise this could have been avoided earlier- as a doctor said to me, ‘you will realise there is no need to feel like this’. However, this took a long time to come about- I’ve been going to the doctors and vaguely suggesting (because of embarrassment) that I feel very down since I was around 14 years old, and the most recent doctor has been the only one to suggest medication. I’ve been to counselling which was not very helpful personally, and even remember one doctor telling me to ‘get a hobby!’ Haha…

I was hesitant to accept mediation at first because I’ve had recreational drugs at times and find (including alcohol) they usually just ‘freak me out’. I also think there’s a stigma around the idea of prescribed antidepressants. It seems like antidepressants could work like reading glasses- you wear a mild pair of glasses at first which make everything clearer, only to find after a few months you can’t read anything at all without them, so your eye prescription goes stronger and stronger until you can’t see anything at all without wearing the glasses. According to my doctor, this is not the case at all- antidepressants can work more like a crutch: they are useful to keep you calm and relaxed during a period of life stress. And when you feel like you’ve sorted your life out, it can be time to go off them.

However, I fear real life doesn’t work out that way. It’s different for everyone I assume, but to sum it up in a condensed form, I personally think I’m ‘depressed’ because; I’m introverted, find social interaction difficult yet am happier when with friends, can think very clearly and unsentimentally about the nasty, doomed planet we live on, and am not sure about what I want to do with my life- I’ve just graduated and had to move back in with my parents, and I basically feel like a stupid failure. I also pretty much dislike everybody! And I don’t see how tablets can change all that, but it definitely has helped: I feel a lot calmer, find it easier to motivate myself to do basic, everyday tasks, and instead of thinking of a million, depressing thoughts every five minutes (it was like my brain was set to destructively analyse everything at once, like a camera panning out over a wide scene) it now feels like I’ve ‘zoomed in’- and can concentrate on basic, boring everyday things. Which may be a dull way to live, but at least I don’t just want to ‘sleep forever’.

Side effects of the tablets have been (for me) heavy, heavy sedation- which is fine if you have no social life, but I find if I went out in the evening I had to skip a dose. This tended to make me feel very sad the next day. I’ve also been having very intensely vivid dreams- the dreams don’t make much sense, but they feel very real, and I find drifting off to sleep I get these weird ‘hallucinations’- like detailed pictures, faces and stuff forming behind my eyelids. That’s not so bad, it’s pretty fun- but during the first few weeks I found it really hard to wake up in the morning. It’s much more settled now, and so far I’ve only had a few nights where I’ve found it hard to get to sleep. I’ve also put on weight, which was personally a good thing but I can imagine it causes problems for other people. Personally, the tablets make me feel really, really hungry all the time and no matter what I eat I can never feel full up. I guess eating loads of fruit and drinking water would help if you wanted to keep an eye on your weight, and also resisting the urge to pile up loads of stodgy carbs on your dinner plate. Also for the first few weeks I got bad headaches in the morning, but they seem to have subsided now. I’ve been a bit irritable sometimes. Libido has decreased a little bit, though it wasn’t great to start with. My mood generally has got better, or levelled out, but how do you know whether it’s because of the tablets or your environment? I’ve just started an internship, which although is unpaid has definitely upped my mood. We’ll see when the internship finishes in a few months, and I’m jobless and bored again.

Sorry about the epic rant, but I hope it relates to others, and gives at least one person a bit of hope- what that doctor said about how ‘there is no need to feel like this’ has been the best, most relieving thing a member of the health profession has ever said to me. Face the scary doctors and let them know you need help. Meds like Mirtazapine obviously can’t fix your life, but they can help you calm down.

Oh and if you’ve been on Mirtazapine for longer than me but recognise the moods, feelings etc as being similar to mine, please let me know how you’ve got on further down the line! I think I've signed up as invisiblefriend but my account shouldn't be active for a day or so.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think that you have been very brave to expose your innermost thouights and feeling on here especially thoughts about suicide. I took mirtazapine for about a year and found it very helpful. I went through all the different stages that you describe so well. I'll try to post in a more detailed way later. There will be many of us here who can relate to you. I hope that you find the forum supportive. Pooh.
  • Posted

Hello i am very happy that i could read your experience becouse i will start remeron tonight and i just can't anymore! I leave in Switzerland , i am 48 and this will be also my first anti depression pill!

I REALLY HOPE I WILL FEEL THE SAME THAN YOU AFTER A FEW WEEKS!

thank you and take care! Jack

• Posted

Thanks for posting your experience.

I'm a single mum of a beautiful boy who is now aged 19 months. I have had problems with depression for years. Since having my son things have gotten worse. I now hear voices and sort of go into a bubble at times. My son has been put into foster care while i try and get better. I have been able to tell my doctor and he put me on Mirtazapine a week ago.

The first day I didnt really feel any different. But day too I felt like i couldnt move. I had to go and spend the day with my friend two doors down as i kept falling asleep and could bearly move. I felt so bad.

Day three I felt a lil better I felt that things were going to be good. But today. Day 6 i slept in till 2pm since then I have felt drained and lifeless, i've been thinking of ending it and just getting it all over with. My head hurts and i'm so down.

I really dont know if this is the meds or just my depression. I feel so bad. I think if i feel like this tomorrow I will be going back to see my doctor. Sitting here writting this my whole body is aching

From Scared Mum

• Posted

Thanks for putting your experience on here. I'm about to take my first anti-depressant tablet tonight. The only things I've ever taken are pain killers and the odd over the counter sleeping pill before a long journey or important meeting.

I'm not depressive as such. No long term history of bad thoughts or insomnia. According to my son I'm one of these 'annoying, happy people' and sing happily while working. I usually love my life and my job.

I just feel I can't cope with my everyday life at the moment since I've had an incident at work that knocked my confidence.

Like so many others on this forum it took me a long time to go to the doctor and ask for help as there's 'nothing wrong with me' (how well everybody here seems to know that phrase).

The breakthrough for me was yesterday when I changed from saying: \"Thing's aren't right. Something must be done\" to \"I've got to do something\". So I stopped finding excuses and went.

I cried all through the consultation - couldn't stop. I felt foolish and vulnerable. Even more so, I suppose, because I'm not used to be in that position.

I kept saying that I just want to sleep through the night and get back to work. But my GP knows my circumstances too well (my husband suffers from winter depression and I work with people with learning disabilities) and he signed me off work for a week as I'm on holiday for two weeks after that and put me on Mirtazapine. He says I need to take them initially for 3 months and then he'll review the situation. He's a very understanding but very outspoken and stern northerner.

So I will follow his advice and actually swallow that pill tonight - reading all your experiences has made that step a little easier.

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.