Mirtazapine - one month off it. Let's talk about weight

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have been off mirtaapine for a month now and I want to let you know what I have observed about weight.

When I gained 20lbs after being on mirtazapine for a while, I started to watch what I ate. It was hard because as you all know, it gives you a huge appetite! Soon just watching what I ate wasn't enough. I used an online calculator which worked out that with my age, height and activity level, I needed 2100 calories a day. So to lose a pound a week I needed to eat no more than 1600 calories a day. Soon it became clear that doing this did not make me lose a pound a week. In fact it was bearly a quarter pound. So I upped my exercise to vigorous cardio every day and finally lost that pound a week. Over the weeks and months, I calculated that the mirtazapine was causing me to need 400 calories less than what all the online calculators said I needed. People who say they gain weight on mirt even though they are not eating any more than before, are telling the truth. It is not just the cravings that make you put on the weight.

Anyway, as I tapered off the mirt, the cravings stayed with me until I reached just 5mg a day. But I still needed the same amount fewer calories a day to maintain my weight. This effect stayed until two weeks AFTER I came off the mirt. I was still gaining weight as soon as I ate normally!

Then suddenly, three weeks after being free of mirtazapine I am losing half a pound a day, without even trying. I have no nausea causing this and am actually consuming close to 3000 calories a day. Yesterday I had 3 chocolate bars and still lost weight. I work very hard physically mucking out horses etc, so need a lot of calories, yet on mirt I actually only needed 1800 calories to stay the same weight when working out every day plus doing the horses. That's a difference of 1200 calories! No wonder so many people gain weight on mirtazapine.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know you're glad you're off of it. I think I decided I'm not going to take it. I need to find something. Living like this is horrible.
    • Posted

I'm glad I'm off it, but not at all sorry I took it. It gave me my life back and allowed me to heal mentally. I hope you find something.
    • Posted

I hope I find something too. Are you going to take anything else?
    • Posted

No, I'm not on any ADs now. I do still suffer from insomnia though and take 5mg of temazepam at night. I still get very stressed when things happen outside my comfort zone, but I am not depressed any more. The stressing is just my personality and not any illness. Mirtazapine really helped me to get better.
    • Posted

That's good. I wish I could be like that. Anxiety disorders run on my mom's side of the family.
  • Posted

An odd drug this one. The impact on weight, depression and anxiety differ from dose to dose and individual to individual.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.