mirtazapine or black out blind for sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

have been on mirtazapine for years (15mg) and 30 at times i stick with 15mg because higher give me bad side effect next day but 15mg only give me 4-5 hours sleep and ive never slept properly all my life. in desperation i wondered if the bedroom was completely black i would sleep any better so last week i bought and put up a blackout blind i got off ebay. wow what a difference 8 hours sleep every night, such a simple thing has changed my life. if you can't sleep and you take mirtazapine for sleep it worth trying a black out blind, i'm going to cut down my tablet soon if i keep sleeping like this . "sorry but just need to tell everyone" i'm so delighted i can sleep it a pleasure to go to bed now

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Fantastic! I have eye mask, because I read that just a small amount of daylight leakage can impact our sleep. It effects either cortisol or melatonin production, I cannot remember which. It's funny because I have blackout blinds in my bedroom but they only go down to the windowsill. So light leaks underneath and I have often found this waking me up in the morning!

They recommend making your sleep area a warm and cosy place, so you can sleep better and start associating it as a 'good' place and not a 'negative' place.

• Posted

hi Johnnyboy

the eye mask is a  really good idea as well.  i have rolled the blackout blind the other way around the roller  at the top so it fits tight up to the window frame. that was a suggestion someone gave me to block more light out, and it works really well

• Posted

Yeah good idea. One thing with the eye mask is you need to get a comfy one. I've had some that irritate. Also, it can take a week or two to get used to. I remember the first few nights, I kept taking it off in my sleep. I also dreamt I couldn't take it off. Completely used to it now smile

• Posted

Dear Chris so delighted to hear about the success of the blackout blinds! I also take Mirt 15mg and when I couldn’t sleep it was suggested that I might try using essential oil of lavender, 3 drops on my hands and I breathe in the fragrance for about 10minutes. I was VERY sceptical that it would make any difference but it did! If I don’t use it I don’t sleep very well. Thanks for the tip!
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, thank for your reply i will certainly give the lavender a go  i'm so happy with things now i'm getting some sleep, take care chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.