Mirtazapine question

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm hoping someone can help me.  I've been on mirtazapine for about 7 weeks I take 3.75mgs at night.  My first question is had anyone had fluid retention causing swelling in the feet, ankles and legs? The swelling started about 10 days ago and today I noticed my ankles and knees where swollen and it felt as if my legs where swelling.  My psychiatrist said to stop the meds to see if that is the problem.  I've never had this before st any time.  I've been reading swelling is a side effect but not so commen.  Second question is about stopping it, doc says can just stop but I'm worried, will there be withdrawal after being on for 7 weeks st this low dose?   Thanks 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I was on it for 7 weeks at 30mg, 

I'm guessing you've been told to stop because of the swelling?

Are you being given anything else to replace the Mirtazapine?

I'm going to be honest with you  I still got withdrawal symptoms even after only 7 weeks.

But everyone is different and you may be ok as you were only on such a low dose anyway.

• Posted

Hi karen I've just been given it to take at night . Is it any good . Did it help you and does it make you drowsy . Sorry for all the questions

• Posted

It initially helped me at a low dose but when dose was increased to 45mg my anxiety went out of the window!!

Apparently it's one of the drugs that a higher dose can cause anxiety to be worse.

It did make me drowsy.

But the side effects when I came off it were horrendous.

• Posted

Wow I don't think I will take it . What side effects did you have . I can't understand these drugs being given if they make things worse. Must have been awful for you

• Posted

Please try it, it's not the same for everyone and it's a low dose.

I was fine on the lower dose it was only when it got increased.

Withdrawal was awful, with panic attacks, nausea etc, but I withdrew too quick and should of tapered slower.

I was also introducing a new antidepressant at the same time so had withdrawal and side effects from.new one, plus 7 weeks previous I was taken off Trazadone, which I'd been on for nearly two years, cold turkey!

So as you can see I was withdrawing from two drugs really.

I would say try it and see how you go, but it's your body and your decision.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi karen thanks for your reply and being so helpful . I will give it a go and see what happens . My gp has told me to take it just before I want to sleep. Do I expect to be drowsy or dopey in the morning lol
    • Posted

I used to take mine just before bed, I will say a lot of us who have been on it have experienced vivid dreams!

I didn't feel feel dopey or drowsy in the morning.

Got my fingers crossed 🤞 for you

• Posted

Its because of kidney problems i think so. So first get your kidneys tested and medicines may be the reason to adfect your kidneys.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.